[comp.os.msdos.misc] assembly debuggers

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (07/26/90)

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>There are many cases where symdeb is superior to codeview or turbo debug
>(smaller, ability to ctty, oriented towards assembler code) and I use it
>far more often than the other debuggers, although I no longer use the
>Microsoft Assembler.

Indeed!  I've never used the Turbo debugger(s), but symdeb has the further
advantage (at least, in some contexts) over Codeview that it doesn't take
over all the video routines.  If, for example, one were to play with the
speed-scrolling routines in NNANSI :) , Codeview is next to useless--it
supplies its own video routines (or the original BIOS ones) regardless of
what the program being debugged has done.  OK, so this is a pretty special-
ized application...still, it's just one more annoying "feature."  The only
real advantage of Codeview over Symdeb in assembly language work is that it
understands 386/387 instructions and registers (how's *that* for a blanket
assessment?)...