[comp.os.msdos.misc] printing in reverse-video at the bottom line

linden@fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) (08/06/90)

 Is there anyone who can give an answer to question asked in the comments
below ??

/*
 * Start this program AT THE BOTTOM LINE of your screen,otherwise no
 * difference will be seen.
 * On a SUN console and some kind of vt220 terminal,I got:
 * [Test] (Test printed in reverse-video)
 * (empty line,normal-video)
 * [Test] (Test printed in reverse-video)
 * Starting the program with ansi.sys or nansi.sys or nnansi.sys or zansi.sys
 * installed under dos 4.0 (I don't think the dos version matters) I got:
 * [Test] (Test printed in reverse mode)
 * [                                            ] (line in reverse-video)
 * [Test                                        ] (Test printed in one
 *                                                 reverse-video line)
 *
 * The behaviour probably has something to do with scrolling.
 *
 * Question:
 * Which behaviour is correct and why ?
 */
main()
{
	printf("\033[7mTest\n\nTest\n\033[0m");
}

Onno van der Linden
linden@fwi.uva.nl

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (08/07/90)

In article <1184@carol.fwi.uva.nl> linden@fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) writes:

> Is there anyone who can give an answer to question asked in the comments
>below ??
>
>/*
> * Start this program AT THE BOTTOM LINE of your screen,otherwise no
> * difference will be seen.
> * On a SUN console and some kind of vt220 terminal,I got:
> * [Test] (Test printed in reverse-video)
> * (empty line,normal-video)
> * [Test] (Test printed in reverse-video)
> * Starting the program with ansi.sys or nansi.sys or nnansi.sys or zansi.sys
> * installed under dos 4.0 (I don't think the dos version matters) I got:
> * [Test] (Test printed in reverse mode)
> * [                                            ] (line in reverse-video)
> * [Test                                        ] (Test printed in one
> *                                                 reverse-video line)
> *
> * The behaviour probably has something to do with scrolling.
> *
> * Question:
> * Which behaviour is correct and why ?
> */
>main()
>{
>	printf("\033[7mTest\n\nTest\n\033[0m");
>}

your print string, in pieces:-

033[7m      set reverse video

Test        arbitrary text

\n\n        two 'newlines'

033[0m      all video attributes off.

(From the 'Extended Screen and keyboard control' ,or 'ansi escape'
codes in the manual(s).