[comp.os.msdos.misc] POLL ON PC-CLONE MAKERS

reberhar@a.inf.ethz.ch (Rolf Georg Eberhardt) (08/30/90)

Hi everybody

I'm planning to buy a 386/25 or 386/33 PC and by browsing through PC-mag and BYTE
I've come up with a couple of companies. As they all proclaim the ultimate salvation
I'd like to know how they *really* are. What were the delivery periods, how well built
are their machines, how do they react when a machine is broken, ... .

The following companies are :

- AGI Computers (Fremont CA)
- Iverson Computer (Mclean Virginia)
- Standard Computer (Irwindale, CA)
- ZEOS
- Swan Technologies
- DATAWORLD
- Northgate
- Gateway 2000
- Altec Corp
- Cheetah Inc.
- PC Brand Inc.
- MIS Computer Systems
- Fortron/Source

Any other companies will be of interest too. Please name the machine you bought
and it's specs.

I'll post the results.

Thanks for your help

-- rolf

Rolf Eberhardt; ETH Zuerich; Switzerland
reberhar@inf.ethz.ch

mcjilton@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (charles mar mcjilton) (08/30/90)

In article <4949@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> reberhar@a.inf.ethz.ch (Rolf Georg Eberhardt) writes:

>Hi everybody
>
>I'm planning to buy a 386/25 or 386/33 PC and by browsing through PC-mag and BYTE
I work for a company called Applied Computer Technology (so be warned ;-) doing
some software development (in other words, I get money from them, but selling
one computer isn't going to get me any profit).  They are very popular around
here because of their service facilities, and the quality of their computers.
Since you don't live in town, you would still have to ship it off to get it
repaired.

This weekend is going to be the grand opening of a new store, and they're
having a sale to celebrate it ;-)  One display I saw had a ~16MHZ 386sx
with 40MB hard, 2MB ram, and some kind of color display (EGA or VGA, I'm
sure) for something in the neighborhood of $1557.  This also included some
software (Windows 3.00 was in there, I think...  Also a mouse).  I'm not
exactly sure on the price/exact specs (as I work in one of the back rooms).

As for the quality of the machines, they seem really good.  I have one at
home that is rated a 12MZH, but seems to be about a 16MHZ.  They're very close
to the 386sx we used to have inthe software lab.  (BTW:  We had a hacked
together 486 for a while.  That's the only time I've seen Word for Windows
run respectably quickly ;-).

For some more information you can call ACT at 1-800-7474-ACT.  I'd try
talking to Dave if he has some time, otherwise try Brad (our ex-salesperson
and salesperson respectably).  Hope this helps.

<Using a friends account>
Sean
uunet.uu.net!ccncsu!ncuug!seanr