[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS-DOS 4.01 vs. 3.3

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (08/18/90)

Should I be wary of MS-DOS 4.01?

When 4.01 (or maybe it was the original 4.0, I don't remember) first
came out, I recall hearing various reports that it was flaky, and that
one would be better off sticking with 3.3 (or the maintenance release,
3.30A, which fixed the DRIVPARM parsing bug and a few other things).

Is this still true?  Or is 4.01 considered stable and OK to use now?

As far as I am currently aware, the only real reason one might prefer
4.01 over 3.3 is that 4.01 can use a disk larger than 32 meg without
having to partition it.  Are there any other reasons?

I am currently running 3.30A on an 8-MHz 286 with two 32-meg disks, so I
see no reason to change to 4.01 right now.  I'm thinking more in terms
of when I upgrade to newer, faster hardware sometime down the road; if a
vendor offers me a package deal with 4.01, should I say "no, thanks, I'd
rather have 3.3"?

--
-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) (08/18/90)

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) writes:

> Should I be wary of MS-DOS 4.01?
>
> When 4.01 (or maybe it was the original 4.0, I don't remember) first
> came out, I recall hearing various reports that it was flaky, and that
> one would be better off sticking with 3.3 (or the maintenance release,
> 3.30A, which fixed the DRIVPARM parsing bug and a few other things).
>
> Is this still true?  Or is 4.01 considered stable and OK to use now?
>
> As far as I am currently aware, the only real reason one might prefer
> 4.01 over 3.3 is that 4.01 can use a disk larger than 32 meg without
> having to partition it.  Are there any other reasons?

I have been using Phoenix MS DOS 4.01 (essentially the same as Microsoft
MS DOS 4.01) for a year now and it works great.The 99.9% of the bugs have
been fixed in this version of Dec 89.

MS/PC DOS 4.0 had many problems but that is now history.

You don't really get much more with 4.01 except to be able to use single
partition larger than 33Megs.Stick with MS DOS 3.3.

Cheers,
   Jack Lupic    Scarborough,Ont.,CAN.
Internet: lupic%micasa@torag.UUCP  OR  lupic%micasa@contact.UUCP
UUCP:     !torag!micasa!lupic      OR  !contact!micasa!lupic

= "The three most dangerous things in the world are:
a programmer with a    = = soldering iron, a hardware type with a
program patch and a user with     = = an idea."

mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael GALLOP) (08/18/90)

In article <38144@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) writes:
>Should I be wary of MS-DOS 4.01?
>
>When 4.01 (or maybe it was the original 4.0, I don't remember) first
>came out, I recall hearing various reports that it was flaky, and that
>one would be better off sticking with 3.3 (or the maintenance release,
>3.30A, which fixed the DRIVPARM parsing bug and a few other things).
>
>Is this still true?  Or is 4.01 considered stable and OK to use now?
	No, It isn't true anymore-- As far as far as I've seen. As usual it was
released late and pushed out the door (Can anyone release software on
time ? :-)). So there was bugs....The same reason I haven't bought Windows
3.0 yet- Now however it is stabilized... The original was, in fact 4.0
and a major bug fix was 4.01

>As far as I am currently aware, the only real reason one might prefer
>4.01 over 3.3 is that 4.01 can use a disk larger than 32 meg without
>having to partition it.  Are there any other reasons?
That is a big factor (I use a Wren V so...) the memory management for
some strange reason is better... The memory mapping features are nice.
I get fewer malloc errors with 4.01 then 3.30A.
One caveat though. If you use an earlier version (like last year!) of
SCO/Xenix your DOS partition is not recognized... I had a hell of a time
with that one...

>I am currently running 3.30A on an 8-MHz 286 with two 32-meg disks, so I
>see no reason to change to 4.01 right now.  I'm thinking more in terms
>of when I upgrade to newer, faster hardware sometime down the road; if a
>vendor offers me a package deal with 4.01, should I say "no, thanks, I'd
>rather have 3.3"?
Oh hell no. I orginally ran 4.00 on a 286-10 with a st251-1 and have no
problems. When I upgraded to a 386-33 with a Wren V there were no
problems from DOS. ---found out a few things about the AST VGA plus.

These are just inane ramblings....There is a lot of white noise on the
net recently, so I'm adding to it :-)

--
| mikey@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca | "Life is just a linear Regression to Chaos," |
| Mike Gallop	    	    | "...Poured through a Klein bottle"           |

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (08/18/90)

If you have not updated to Dos 4.01 don't bother.  Version 5 is in beta testing
even as I type.  There are all sorts of rumors about it.  I even heard that it
enters protected mode, had reentrant services, and more.

NONE of this may be true, ALL of it may be true, OR (more likely) SOME of it
is true.

ciao
jeff

ps.
	I've been using DOS 4.00 for over a year, no real problems... None that
dos caused anyway...
--
Jeff Watkins                       gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (08/21/90)

Disclaimer:  I do work at Microsoft, but I got all the information in this
posting from the same places everyone else can, namely _PC Week_ and
_Infoworld_.  I do not work anywhere near the DOS folks and have no inside
track on this information.

The Story on DOS 4.01:
DOS 4.0 had some bugs that caused people to lose data.  DOS 4.01 is the
major bug fix that cures those bugs.  Many people don't like DOS 4.01
because it takes up too much memory -- it does take up much more than DOS
3.x versions.  It does reliably handle disk partitions >32MB, and if you
use DOS 4.01 instead of some third party solution you will be assured of
the best compatibility with other Microsoft products like Windows.  It also
has some minor enhancements like a REM command for CONFIG.SYS, and a toy
DOS shell (I have never heard of anyone who uses it).

IBM ships DOS 4.01 under the name of PC-DOS 4.0; they did *not* change the
name when they shipped the bug fix.

If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
boot up or else risk losing data.  (The people I have asked about
NOSHARE.EXE, which is available on USENET, have all told me they think it
is a bad idea.  Use the real thing, SHARE.EXE.)

Bottom line:  if you want a large disk partition and you don't run huge
programs and/or lots of TSRs (i.e. you don't mind the extra RAM
requirements) feel free to run DOS 4.01.  If DOS 3.x makes you happy, keep
running it.

The Story on DOS 5.00:

In article <12725@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) writes:
>If you have not updated to Dos 4.01 don't bother.  Version 5 is in beta testing
>even as I type.  There are all sorts of rumors about it.  I even heard that it
>enters protected mode, had reentrant services, and more.
>
>NONE of this may be true, ALL of it may be true, OR (more likely) SOME of it
>is true.

Microsoft sells a protected mode OS with reentrant services.  It is called
OS/2, and it is very different from DOS.  There are not any quick hacks
that will make DOS a true multitasking OS.

DOS 5 is in beta test, and it supports partitions >32MB without loading
SHARE.EXE.  (You will still want to load SHARE.EXE if you use Windows or
other multitasking systems.)  It can load some of itself into the HMA (High
Memory Area) of extended memory if you have a 286 or above (and if you
don't have something else that needs to load itself there).  If it loads
into HMA you get a *lot* of free memory in your 640k region; even if it
doesn't load into HMA I believe it is smaller than DOS 4.01 is.  It comes
with a new version of BASIC that is a lot like Quick BASIC; it is called
QBASIC and it replaces GW BASIC.  It comes with a new editor, EDIT.COM,
that is a lot like the Quick BASIC editor.  It comes with a File Manager
that looks a lot like the Windows File Manager.

The _PC Week_ article said that the final version of DOS 5.00, when it
ships, may have task-switching features.  These would not provide
multitasking, but would allow you to switch from program to program without
exiting and restarting the programs.  Presumably this feature would require
expanded or extended memory.

The bottom line: everyone will want to upgrade to DOS 5.00, since it will
not cost more RAM than 3.x versions and it has more functionality than the
3.x versions.  The cautious people may decide to wait for 5.01, or at least
wait a month after the release of 5.00.  But remember that there is a
massive beta testing campaign going on; I suspect Microsoft doesn't want to
embarrass itself with a version as buggy as DOS 4.00 was.

The Rumor about DOS 4.01 and DOS 5.00:

(I cannot confirm this rumor, but I like it.  It's so... dramatic.  :-)

IBM engineers did DOS 4.00 and Microsoft engineers were embarrassed to have
the Microsoft name associated with such a product.  They are determined
that DOS 5.00 will be lean, mean, and bug-free.  It is a matter of honor
now!
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi (08/21/90)

Wales) writes:
> When 4.01 (or maybe it was the original 4.0, I don't remember) first
> came out, I recall hearing various reports that it was flaky, and that
> one would be better off sticking with 3.3 (or the maintenance release,
> 3.30A, which fixed the DRIVPARM parsing bug and a few other things).
>
> Is this still true?  Or is 4.01 considered stable and OK to use now?

As far as I know (and I've been using 4.01 for a looong time now) there
are no more bugs in 4.01 than any other version of DOS. At the moment I
can't remember any that would have come across, though I found some of
the 4.0 bugs.

> As far as I am currently aware, the only real reason one might prefer
> 4.01 over 3.3 is that 4.01 can use a disk larger than 32 meg without
> having to partition it.  Are there any other reasons?

I myself prefer 4.01 to 3.3. I currently don't use large partitions
either, but there are many added handy options to many familiar DOS
commands. And the GRAPHICS.COM can print EGA and VGA graphics screens
too. And the new MEM-program that shows all kinds of data about the
memory usage is very handy too. And I've possibly forgot to mention some
nice features that I use so often that I can't even think thay havn't
been there all the time. The truth is, that whenever I have to do
anything with earlier DOS-version than 4, I notice within 10 minutes
that one or another feature is missing.

The only drawback of 4.01 is that it requires a bit more memory than
3.3 (especially if you accept AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS created by the
installation program), but you can free memory by using MEM and
modifying AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.

This is just my opinion. 4.01 haters, don't bother to flame.

--
E-Mail: teittinen@finuh.bitnet               !
        teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi             ! UNIX is a four-letter word

scotte@locus.com (Scott Eberline) (08/21/90)

In article <56756@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>IBM ships DOS 4.01 under the name of PC-DOS 4.0; they did *not* change the
>name when they shipped the bug fix.

I've got a Phoenix version labelled MSDOS 4.01, but the VER command prints
out "4.00".  Is this expected?

>If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
>boot up or else risk losing data.  ...

Does this get loaded automatically somehow?  If I boot without any config.sys
or autoexec.bat, DOS spits out a message recommending SHARE for large parti-
tions.  But with my normal startup files that do not include SHARE, the MEM
command indicates that SHARE is resident.  What gives?

--
Scott D. Eberline		scotte@locus.com  or  uunet!lcc!scotte

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (08/21/90)

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:

[things about DOS 4.x deleted]

> If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
> boot up or else risk losing data.  (The people I have asked about
> NOSHARE.EXE, which is available on USENET, have all told me they think it
> is a bad idea.  Use the real thing, SHARE.EXE.)

> Bottom line:  if you want a large disk partition and you don't run huge
> programs and/or lots of TSRs (i.e. you don't mind the extra RAM
> requirements) feel free to run DOS 4.01.  If DOS 3.x makes you happy, keep
> running it.

If you don't want to hassle with 4.x, try COMPAQ DOS 3.31, >32meg partitions,
no SHARE, etc. needs to be loaded, works with Windows, takes less memory.

That's why there's different flavors of ice cream.

> IBM engineers did DOS 4.00 and Microsoft engineers were embarrassed to have
> the Microsoft name associated with such a product.  They are determined
> that DOS 5.00 will be lean, mean, and bug-free.  It is a matter of honor
> now!

At last! :-)

I've found COMPAQ DOS 3.31 and 4DOS 3.01 the best of all possible worlds,
but then again, I don't have beaucoup memory to lose myself in.

--
  "Reality is for people who lack imagination."

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (08/21/90)

In article <56756@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
>boot up or else risk losing data.  (The people I have asked about
>NOSHARE.EXE, which is available on USENET, have all told me they think it
>is a bad idea.  Use the real thing, SHARE.EXE.)

Does anyone know exactly why SHARE.EXE is required for large partitions?
And does it matter whether I load it from AUTOEXEC.BAT rather than CONFIG.SYS??
(I want to LOADHI it out of the way with QEMM).

>The Story on DOS 5.00:
>... It can load some of itself into the HMA (High
>Memory Area) of extended memory if you have a 286 or above (and if you
>
>... but would allow you to switch from program to program without
>exiting and restarting the programs.  Presumably this feature would require
>expanded or extended memory.

This sounds nice at first, but MOST IMPORTANTLY:

	Do these functions work under QEMM 5.0  ??

If not, I don't want it.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh724!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

mcolan@lotus.com (Mark Colan) (08/21/90)

I went to DOS 4.01 primarily for large disk support.  It also has a
shell for the non-hacker which I don't use.  A tiny feature I like is
that the CONFIG.SYS now accepts (and ignores) REM lines for comments.

Only bug I have found is that when you have both a VGA and mono card
in your system (such as you might if you were doing 2-monitor debugging
in OS/2 or Windows), the command "mode co80,nn" (where nn is 43, 50,
etc) will no longer work: DOS says the function is not supported by this
computer.  If you remove the mono card, it successfully puts the monitor
into 43-line or 50-line mode (which I prefer).

A few questions for you others:

1. DOS complains that I should use SHARE with large media, yet seems to
   work fine without it.  I can't find out why I should, what it buys
   me, etc.  I DO have a large disk with one partition over 150MB.

2. Does anyone have a MODE program that allows me to change to 43 and 50
   line mode but without destoying the cursor?  I have a Sigma Legend VGA.

Mark Colan

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (08/22/90)

In article <15834@oolong.la.locus.com>, scotte@locus.com (Scott Eberline) writes:
> In article <56756@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
> >IBM ships DOS 4.01 under the name of PC-DOS 4.0; they did *not* change the
> >name when they shipped the bug fix.
>
> I've got a Phoenix version labelled MSDOS 4.01, but the VER command prints
> out "4.00".  Is this expected?

I don't think I'd describe it as "expected", but that is indeed how it
works.  The only reliable way of determining what version of DOS you
have is by checking the dates on all the files -- neither the external
nor internal version numbers are necessarily changed when fixes are
made.  For 4.01 they incremented the external version number but did
not update the internal one.

> >If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
> >boot up or else risk losing data.  ...
>
> Does this get loaded automatically somehow?  If I boot without any config.sys
> or autoexec.bat, DOS spits out a message recommending SHARE for large parti-
> tions.  But with my normal startup files that do not include SHARE, the MEM
> command indicates that SHARE is resident.  What gives?

If SHARE.EXE is in the root directory, DOS will load it automatically.
If not, and you don't load it explicitly, it will print out an error
message, but will continue to boot.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
See if we can sell Mom and Dad into slavery for a star cruiser. -- Calvin

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/22/90)

Wales) writes:

> As far as I am currently aware, the only real reason one might prefer
> 4.01 over 3.3 is that 4.01 can use a disk larger than 32 meg without
> having to partition it.  Are there any other reasons?

You can put your buffers into expanded memory with the /X switch.  That
will free up some low RAM depending on how many BUFFERS you have in
your CONFIG.SYS.  Of course, you MUST have an EMM loaded first to do it.
My manual says that buffers take up 528 bytes each.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) (08/22/90)

In <1990Aug21.164046.19087@lotus.com> mcolan@lotus.com (Mark Colan) writes:

>1. DOS complains that I should use SHARE with large media, yet seems to
>   work fine without it.  I can't find out why I should, what it buys

  SHARE.EXE was originally provided for DOS LAN support where one of it's
  tasks were to map the old DOS 1.x FCB calls to the newer style calls.
  As the DOS 4 large disk support only works with the newer file calls
  DOS asks you to load SHARE.EXE to map the old calls to the new calls.
  So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
  you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).

  Markus
--
  Markus Baertschi				| markus@cernvm.cern.ch
  CERN (European Particle Research Center)

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (08/22/90)

>If SHARE.EXE is in the root directory, DOS will load it automatically.
>If not, and you don't load it explicitly, it will print out an error
>message, but will continue to boot.

My manual says if SHARE.EXE is in the same place pointed to by COMSPEC,
(the SHELL= line in CONFIG.SYS) it will be loaded automatically.

Thomas Dwyer III                            TOMIII   @ MTUS5.BITNET
Network Programmer                          DWYERIII @ MTUS5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services
Michigan Technological University

buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) (08/22/90)

In article <2209@cernvax.UUCP> markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) writes:
>  So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
>  you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).

Fine, but what's *real* the penalty for NOT using SHARE? Will the "old"
programs just fail, or is there risk of disk corruption, other_bad_things, etc.?

grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) (08/22/90)

In article <56756@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP writes:

>If you want a disk partition >32MB, you must load SHARE.EXE each time you
>boot up or else risk losing data.  (The people I have asked about
>NOSHARE.EXE, which is available on USENET, have all told me they think it
>is a bad idea.  Use the real thing, SHARE.EXE.)
>
>Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
>uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

Nice enterprise :-)

We are supporting a large Clipper application used at a Naval laboratory
here that runs on hundreds of PC's successfully.  We have been dealing with
DOS 4.01 for some time now, and even Nantuckett admits that Clipper
applications will have a difficult time with certain DOS 4 systems.  We
have found that the application works well *IF* we remove the SHARE.EXE
command.  (On an interesting note, one of our field people said that
even if you don't load SHARE explicitly, it shows up in memory or
device driver chains.  Can this be true ?)

The machines seem to run properly without the SHARE command loaded.  Are
we treading on thin ice here ?  Has anyone been successful at running
Clipper programs in DOS 4 ?

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Kelly

--
Kelly Grant        grantk@manta.nosc.mil   (619) 225-8401
Computer Sciences Corp          ^^^^^^^^ Important: manta.UUCP won't get to me

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/23/90)

markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) writes:

>  SHARE.EXE was originally provided for DOS LAN support where one of it's
>  tasks were to map the old DOS 1.x FCB calls to the newer style calls.
>  As the DOS 4 large disk support only works with the newer file calls
>  DOS asks you to load SHARE.EXE to map the old calls to the new calls.
>  So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
>  you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).

It would be nice if there was a small TSR that would display a message
if a "*very* old program" tried a DOS 1.x FCB call.  That way I could
run with it for a while to see if it would be a problem on my system.
It would be even better if SHARE did it.

I really hate SHARE.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014
Wind Research Branch                 1617 Cole Blvd., Golden, CO  80401-3393
Solar Energy Research Institute      Solar - safe energy for a healthy future

mk@vall.dsv.su.se (Magnus Karlson) (08/23/90)

What happens if you set FCBS to 0 in config.sys? I don't use a 4.xx system
my self so i don't know, but at least logicaly it should make old fcb programs
fail.

I have 1 document about PC-Dos 4.00 from when it was new that says
"a fcb call to disk larger than 32MB will fail if share is not loaded"
though it doesn't say in what way it will fail...

Magnus Karlson mk@vall

scotte@locus.com (Scott Eberline) (08/23/90)

In article <135@thor.UUCP> scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
>If SHARE.EXE is in the root directory, DOS will load it automatically.
>If not, and you don't load it explicitly, it will print out an error
>message, but will continue to boot.

In that case, I suspect it checks the directory pointed to by SHELL or
COMSPEC also.  I keep both COMMAND.COM and SHARE.EXE in C:/DOS.

--
Scott D. Eberline		scotte@locus.com  or  uunet!lcc!scotte

hchen@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (H. Chen) (08/23/90)

When DOS 4.0 came out, I tried to run some CD-ROM product with or without
DOS Extention. It didn't work.  Then I was told that DOS 4.0 won't support
CD-ROM.  It is no problem with DOS 3.3 for all CD-ROM products we have.
Now, I was told that DOS 4.01 doesn't support CD-ROM too.  Since we wasted
money with DOS 4.0, we didn't upgrade to DOS 4.01.  Are there any people
has the first-hand experience, especially with Silver Platter, OCLC, and
UMI's products.

Thank you.

Huijie (hchen@silver.ucs.indiana.edu)

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (08/23/90)

In article <2209@cernvax.UUCP>, markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) writes:
>   DOS asks you to load SHARE.EXE to map the old calls to the new calls.
>   So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
>   you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).

There are some things that the old FCB functions do MUCH more
efficiently that the new file handle calls do, so some NEW
programs still use them.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
I hate being good. -- Calvin

mk@vall.dsv.su.se (Magnus Karlson) writes:

>What happens if you set FCBS to 0 in config.sys? I don't use a 4.xx system
>my self so i don't know, but at least logicaly it should make old fcb programs
>fail.

My DOS 4.01 manual says that the allowable range for FCBs is 1-255, so I
guess this won't work.  Haven't tried it though.

Given that I know very little about the internal workings of DOS, my
understanding was that the problem is with DOS 1.x FCB calls.  I assume
DOS 4 uses DOS 4.x FCB calls now, so you really couldn't set the number
of FCBs to zero.  Of course this is pure speculation about something
that I know very little about.  Any experts out there to help us out?
Does DOS 4.x not use FCBs?  Is that how they got around the 32MB limit?

>I have 1 document about PC-Dos 4.00 from when it was new that says
>"a fcb call to disk larger than 32MB will fail if share is not loaded"
>though it doesn't say in what way it will fail...

I heard that it could trash your disk, but I've never had it verified by
an independent source.

Laying my ignorance out on the table...

Marshall
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014
Wind Research Branch                 1617 Cole Blvd., Golden, CO  80401-3393
Solar Energy Research Institute      Solar - safe energy for a healthy future

marks@pwa-b.uucp (Evan R. Marks) (08/24/90)

I am cureently using a CD-ROM drive with ms dos 4.01 and using
microsoft cd-rom extensions version 2.10.  No problems here.

--
Evan R. Marks  			   	 Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Sr. Systems Support Analyst              400 Main St. M/S 161-05

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug22.153913.3961@granite.cr.bull.com> buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) writes:
>In article <2209@cernvax.UUCP> markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) writes:
>>  So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
>>  you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).
>
>Fine, but what's *real* the penalty for NOT using SHARE? Will the "old"
>programs just fail, or is there risk of disk corruption, other_bad_things, etc.?

The point is, for "old" (and some "new") programs that use FCBs instead
of file handles, you risk scrambling the data files written by the
application in question, and possibly overwriting other files.  SHARE is
there to help the FCB method find the correct area of the extended disk
on which to write.  The price (15K of RAM) is not particularly high.  If
you find it a squeeze, take a look at the *low* cost of 1Mbit chips
these days....

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (08/28/90)

In article <136@thor.UUCP>, scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) wrote:
}There are some things that the old FCB functions do MUCH more
}efficiently that the new file handle calls do, so some NEW
}programs still use them.

Yes, mass deletes and renames are done in a single pass through the directory
with the FCB calls, while they require a directory search to find all affected
files and a separate call (involving its own directory search) to do the
rename or delete for each found file.

HOWEVER, there is a way to enable wildcards on path rename/delete.  If you
invoke INT 21/AH=41h or AH=56h via the server call (INT 21/AX=5D00h),
a wildcard rename/move or delete is possible using canonicalized filenames
returned by INT 21/AH=60h.  The delete will need only a single pass through
the directory; similarly for a rename to the same directory.  You can also
move multiple files to another directory, optionally renaming while moving.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: 1:129/3.1

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (08/29/90)

I have seen an advertisement for DOS 3.31 which claims to break the 32
Megabyte restriction.  If this is true (can anyone verify this?) then
what's the difference between 3.31 and 4.01?  It seems strange to me that
they would make a major change like that and only bump the rev from
3.30A to 3.31.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail: {bu-cs,talcott}   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:      !encore!schwalbe   `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (08/29/90)

To my knowledge bith the Zenith version of DOS 3.31 and the Compaq
version 3.31 support partitions greater than 32 megs. Zenith does, I
know for sure. I'm running two 65-meg drives as large partitions
(drives C & D) under Zenith 3.3Plus.
Bob M., PSU-Harisburg

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (08/30/90)

In article <marshall.651350110@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) writes:
>
>>  SHARE.EXE was originally provided for DOS LAN support where one of it's
>>  tasks were to map the old DOS 1.x FCB calls to the newer style calls.
>>  As the DOS 4 large disk support only works with the newer file calls
>>  DOS asks you to load SHARE.EXE to map the old calls to the new calls.
>>  So, if you don't run *very* old programs you don't need SHARE, but if
>>  you want to absolutely shure you'll have to pay the price (memory).
>
>It would be nice if there was a small TSR that would display a message
>if a "*very* old program" tried a DOS 1.x FCB call.  That way I could
>run with it for a while to see if it would be a problem on my system.
>It would be even better if SHARE did it.

I can't keep out of this any longer.

And here it is. The much malligned (even by me) TSR, NOSHARE.COM!
This program does nothing SHARE does, but then it is much smaller. It
simply causes the DOS 1.x FCB calls to fail gracefully. You can't run
DOS 1.x applications, but then they can't harm the system either!

Use at your own risk (and as was posted by a Microsoft employee, use
of NOSHARE is not recommended, but what do they know? :-) I should point
out that I wrote NOSHARE, but then again, maybe I should keep it a secret.

section 1 of uuencode 3.16 of file noshare.com    by R.E.M.

begin 644 noshare.com
MZ0@`]`$`````"@"\FA_'!@4!F!^]_A^)+@<!_.@Z`+@`3,TA`````(#\#W0*`
M@/P6=`4N_RZ``+#_SUY86EL>CMNT)<TA'__FM#7-(8G8C,/#N@H`N``QS2'H>
M2@`'3D]32$%21>A1`.@\``M">2!4;VT@06QM>>@_`+@A`.C)_Z,D`8D>)@&ZB
M)`%2NH``4KH6`%+H40",R%"ZA`!2NB$`4NB7_^FK_UN*!S#D0U-0`<-86E.)=
MT^DA`+@-`.@)`+@*`.D#``$``*+&`;1`N0$`NL8!BQ[$`<TAPXG!B=J+'L0!;
3M$#-(<-;65]>XP:,V([`\Z3_XZ3_F
``
end
sum -r/size 53542/375 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 4841/244 entire input file

>I really hate SHARE.

Me too. I want it all for myself!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug21.164046.19087@lotus.com> mcolan@lotus.com (Mark Colan) writes:

> I went to DOS 4.01 primarily for large disk support.  It also has a
> shell for the non-hacker which I don't use.  A tiny feature I like is
> that the CONFIG.SYS now accepts (and ignores) REM lines for comments.

I like this feature of 4.01 also!!!

> A few questions for you others:
>
> 1. DOS complains that I should use SHARE with large media, yet seems to
>    work fine without it.  I can't find out why I should, what it buys
>    me, etc.  I DO have a large disk with one partition over 150MB.

The only reason I install share is so I don't run into myself when
trying to ascces the same file while I'm in DesqView 386.  I am aware
of some kind of file size limatation that it corrects with software
that expects a hard disk to be no larger than 32Meg.
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)882-3100
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/04/90)

In article <3952@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>Does anyone know exactly why SHARE.EXE is required for large partitions?
>And does it matter whether I load it from AUTOEXEC.BAT rather than CONFIG.SYS??
>(I want to LOADHI it out of the way with QEMM).

I don't know a thing about share.exe, having used Compaq DOS 3.31 for
the past 2 1/2 years.

However, did you know you can load things high in your config.sys?
An example would be:

device=c:\etc\qemm\loadhi.sys c:\dos\share.exe

Or the equivalent on your machine.

					     Eric Pilger
					     NASA Infrared Telescope Facility