[comp.os.msdos.misc] keyboard problem with AMI Bios

it1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (09/11/90)

  I recently replaced my AST 286 motherboard with a no-name 286 motherboard
with AMI BIOS (a fairly new version with the nice diagnostics and setup
in ROM).  Whenever I start the machine, the message "Keyboard Error.  Press
<F1> to continue" would show up on the screen.  I noticed the keyboard
decoder is also an AMI chip.  Does anybody know what might be causing
this??  I'm fairly certain that the keyboard is fine, as I've tested
it on various other systems.  Is there a switch somewhere that I need
to set?  (This MB didn't come with a manual, and I couldn't get the
company that sold it to me to send me one).

  BTW, the keyboard works fine otherwise.  The only program that
doesn't work with this new setup so far is Ultima VI.

  Thanks in advance for any help..

--
  I'd never cry if I did find a blue whale in my soup...
  Nor would I mind a porcupine inside a chicken coop.

jwas@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (09/12/90)

In article <it1.653018810@ra> it1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) writes:

>in ROM).  Whenever I start the machine, the message "Keyboard Error.  Press
><F1> to continue" would show up on the screen.  I noticed the keyboard
>decoder is also an AMI chip.

I have the same problem on a 386,33 MGZ, but my problem is more intermittant.
Usually I need to unplug the keyboard and put it back to clear the error.
While it sounds like a connector problem, when I had Phoenix in Bios, this
problem never occurred.

--
Joe Wasik - PacBell, 2600 Camino Ramon, 4e750, San Ramon, CA 94583  415-823-2422
jwas@PacBell.COM or {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!jwas