[comp.os.msdos.misc] Is a 43-line Mode Possible in PC-DOS 3.3?

gcoen@emx.utexas.edu (Gary A. Coen) (09/10/90)

Is a 43-line mode possible using PC-DOS 3.3 on standard PS/2 hardware (i.e.,
8514 monitor, standard VGA, Model 80-041, etc.)?

If so, does anyone have a DEBUG script or some other means of accessing this
mode?  (I know DOS 4.x has this feature using the MODE command, but I'm reluc-
tant to switch to a newer version for just this one additional feature).

Many thanks to the combined wisdom of the net.

 --GAC

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (09/12/90)

gcoen@emx.utexas.edu (Gary A. Coen) writes:

>Is a 43-line mode possible using PC-DOS 3.3 on standard PS/2 hardware (i.e.,
>8514 monitor, standard VGA, Model 80-041, etc.)?

I dont think 43 line mode is possible but 50 line mode should be.
(43 line mode works on EGAs, and 50 line mode works in VGAs)

>If so, does anyone have a DEBUG script or some other means of accessing this
>mode?  (I know DOS 4.x has this feature using the MODE command, but I'm reluc-
>tant to switch to a newer version for just this one additional feature).

I used to have a short .com program to switch to these modes and back
(real short as it just writers a value to a register.) I dont
have it anymore, but there must be several programs around to do this,
id guess that PCMAG has a utility somewhere......perhaps someone else has
a piece of code they can post........

Justin Smith

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                 24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/MNP5/V.32/V.42bis
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com

c164-bd@cordelia.uucp (John D. Mitchell) (09/14/90)

Yes, it is possible to put a VGA into 43-line mode.  The gist of the
problem is that you have to select the 8x14 character font.  I have a
program (in TurboC with inline assembler) that will allow you to
set the VGA into a few of the rarely used configurations.  Mail me if
you want a copy.  I'll post it if there's enough interest.  The basic
information was from an article by Mr. Whitney (sp?) in a recent issue
of Programmer's Journal.

Good luck,
	John Mitchell
	johnm@cory.Berkeley.EDU