[comp.os.msdos.misc] QEMM 5.1, Windows 3.0 and SUN PCNFS 3.0.1a

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (09/11/90)

I am thinking of getting QEMM 5.1 for our PCs and am wondering
if version 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run
windows 3.0.  This is very important as our systems (Dell 310 -
20Mhz 386 and 3C501 ethernet card) is very low on conventional
memory.
Thanks for the help.

Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA
		gavin@caf.mit.edu

mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) (09/12/90)

 >I am thinking of getting QEMM 5.1 for our PCs and am wondering
 >if version 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run
 >windows 3.0.  This is very important as our systems (Dell 310 -
 >20Mhz 386 and 3C501 ethernet card) is very low on conventional
 >memory.

I'm not sure if QEMM 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run Window
3.0.  However, according to a publication put out by the Cobb Group (Inside
Microsoft Windows):

     "...Quarterdeck was perparing to ship QEMM-386 Version 5.1, which
     will allow you to load drivers into high memory and run Windows 3
     in the Real and Standard modes.  However, even version 5.1 won't
     solve the compatibility problem with the 386 Enhanced mode..."

So even though your drivers could be loaded into high memory, Windows would
be taking up even more conventional memory (if you are now using 386
enhanced mode).

Duane

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (09/14/90)

mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) writes:
>So even though your drivers could be loaded into high memory, Windows would
>be taking up even more conventional memory (if you are now using 386
>enhanced mode).

As I understand it, Standard Mode is more memory efficient (less overhead).
Several rags have recently recommended using Standard Mode unless you really
need 386-specific enhancements.

--
Kevin Martin  |||  sigma@pawl.rpi.edu  |||  usergkj1@RPITSMTS.BITNET

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/15/90)

In article <17550001@hpcc01.HP.COM> mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) writes:
|I'm not sure if QEMM 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run Window
|3.0.  However, according to a publication put out by the Cobb Group (Inside
|Microsoft Windows):
|
|     "...Quarterdeck was perparing to ship QEMM-386 Version 5.1, which
|     will allow you to load drivers into high memory and run Windows 3
|     in the Real and Standard modes.  However, even version 5.1 won't
|     solve the compatibility problem with the 386 Enhanced mode..."
|
|So even though your drivers could be loaded into high memory, Windows would
|be taking up even more conventional memory (if you are now using 386
|enhanced mode).

Your information is out of date. Several posters in comp.windows.ms
as well as Steve Gibson, InfoWorld columnist, have already received
QEMM 5.1, with Enhanced mode compability, and report excellent results.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Why would Xerox Corp. want a paperless office?"

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Larry Hastings) (09/15/90)

+-In article <5077@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>,
| gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) wrote:
|
| I am thinking of getting QEMM 5.1 for our PCs and am wondering
| if version 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run
| windows 3.0.  This is very important as our systems (Dell 310 -
| 20Mhz 386 and 3C501 ethernet card) is very low on conventional
| memory.

+----------

(Gee, I always thought you MIT guys were on top of the game!)

When I worked at MetaWare, we used PC-NFS all over the place, and it
was one of my jobs to figure out how to get PC-NFS to work optimally
with QEMM and DESQview.  After months of experimenting, and spending time
on the phone with Sun and Quarterdeck, I (and my successor) have come up with
the following:

1) The only PC-NFS driver you can load "high" is PCNFS.SYS -- any of the
   other drivers loaded high will eventually crash.
2) You can use (I believe) any of the PC-NFS applications inside of a
   DESQview window reliably except for telnet -- if you run telnet, you
   are _guaranteed_ to crash.  (You might be able to get away with running
   telnet if you _never_ change out of the window, and don't let it share
   CPU time... but this isn't terribly useful.)
3) PC-NFS could certainly be better behaved.

I should also warn you that Windows 3.0 doesn't like QEMM.  I'm not sure,
but I've been told that Windows (at one time) had specific code to detect
the presence of QEMM, and would only run in real mode... the workaround was
to _rename_ QEMM.SYS to something else.

Also, if your main problem is lack of conventional memory, you should consider
upgrading from the 3C501 to the 3C505 card.  The 3C505 is a "smart" card that
actually has an 80186 on-board, and comes standard with (I believe) 256k of
RAM (upgradable to 512k).  You then upload your 3Com drivers onto the card
instead of into conventional memory -- you only need to load enough drivers
to communicate with the card in conventional memory.  Of course, the 3C505
is quite a bit more expensive...
--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"You may remember I died suffocating on my own vomit.  That was a bummer of a
 way to go." --Keith Moon (ex-Who drummer) through a "channeler" from the "Sun"

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/15/90)

In article <5077@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:
>I am thinking of getting QEMM 5.1 for our PCs and am wondering
>if version 5.1 can loadhi SUN PCNFS 3.0.1 drivers and run
>windows 3.0.  This is very important as our systems (Dell 310 -

I am doing this, and find it to work just fine.  The only caveat is
that I can only get Windows 3.0 to work reliably in Real mode.
However, given all the press in various newsgroups (and the press),
about what has to be done to get Windows 3.0 to work reliably without
QEMM present, I wonder if QEMM is at fault.

				   Eric Pilger
				   Systems Programmer
				   NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (09/18/90)

>     "...Quarterdeck was perparing to ship QEMM-386 Version 5.1, which
>     will allow you to load drivers into high memory and run Windows 3
>     in the Real and Standard modes.  However, even version 5.1 won't
>     solve the compatibility problem with the 386 Enhanced mode..."
>
>So even though your drivers could be loaded into high memory, Windows would
>be taking up even more conventional memory (if you are now using 386
>enhanced mode).

The confusion here is probably due to DESQVIEW versus QEMM.

QEMM 5.1 can be installed with it's incredible advantages,
and Windows3 will run just fine in Real, Standard, or Enhanced mode.

DESQVIEW can be run instead, and inside of one or more DESQVIEW
windows, one can run Windows3 in Real and Standard modes only.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |