[comp.os.msdos.misc] 4Dos 3.01a

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (09/05/90)

Hello.  Does anybody else out there use 4Dos?  Just curious.  I would love
to share info or problems.  For those of you who don't know what 4Dos is,
it is a replacement command processor with much much more than Dos has.

                                        -=+Greg+=-

P.S.  I'm new to this network, what are the rules etc...  Same as FidoNet?

                                        -=+Greg+=-
--- QuickBBS 2.64 (Eval)
 * Origin: Bohemia BBS system (303)449-8946 (200:5000/301)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/09/90)

In article <31.26E59853@bohemia.UUCP> Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) writes:
>P.S.  I'm new to this network, what are the rules etc...  Same as FidoNet?

NO, the rules here are not the same as *FidoNet*, please read the newsgroup
"news.announce.newusers", it was created specifically for those new to the net.
It covers proper use of Netequitte, the history behind the net, structure and
organization of the newsgroups and how the net works.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep08.174223.29409@pilikia.pegasus.com>, art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
> In article <31.26E59853@bohemia.UUCP> Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) writes:
> >P.S.  I'm new to this network, what are the rules etc...  Same as FidoNet?
>
> NO, the rules here are not the same as *FidoNet*, please read the newsgroup
> "news.announce.newusers", it was created specifically for those new to the net.
> It covers proper use of Netequitte, the history behind the net, structure and
> organization of the newsgroups and how the net works.

This may not be a whole heck of a lot of help to him, as I doubt his Fidonet
node carries the new.* groups. I know the ones around town here don't.
Hopefully the sysop at his board has the rules available locally.

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (09/10/90)

In article <31.26E59853@bohemia.UUCP> Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) writes:
>Hello.  Does anybody else out there use 4Dos?  Just curious.  I would love
>to share info or problems.  For those of you who don't know what 4Dos is,
>it is a replacement command processor with much much more than Dos has.

I've been using it for about two weeks.  I love it!  I especially like
the VMS-style aliases, extensive help, and the built-in extended batch
language.

What problems have you had with it?

Gail
--
Respond to {claris,hoptoad}!wet!gail@ames.arc.nasa.gov
        or gail@wet.UUCP

jon@motcsd.csd.mot.com (jonathan.ma) (09/11/90)

In article <31.26E59853@bohemia.UUCP> Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) writes:
>Hello.  Does anybody else out there use 4Dos?  Just curious.  I would love
>to share info or problems.  For those of you who don't know what 4Dos is,
>it is a replacement command processor with much much more than Dos has.

The biggist problem I have is with the Informix DBMS and MicroSoft Windows 3.0.
The programs load into memory, thus creates multiple copies of 4DOS processes.
Therefore, you quickly run out RAM in Windows.  This forces me to run non-
windows programs in DOS only.  I really want to use Windows 3.0 as the only
interface. But, I guess I'll never be able to.

I tried to reply directly to Greg, but the message bounced at apple.com.
My discussion should really be posted to comp.windows.ms.  My apologies
to people in this newsgroup.

--
-Jon-		Jonathan Ma, Motorola, Computer Group, Computer Systems Division
		Phone: (408) 366-4191  FAX: (408) 366-4125

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) (09/12/90)

Well, just do:

c:> command win

..and you won't get multiple copes of 4dos..

--Kauto
--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

dblack@pilot.njin.net (David Alan Black) (09/13/90)

Greg, I like 4DOS a lot.  On my machine, it does one very odd thing, though.
I'd be interested to know if it's done this anywhere else....

The first time I give the command "dir" after booting, I get a memory parity
non-maskable interrupt.  After I tell the interrupt to go away, everything
seems (?) OK.

What's strange is that subsequent "dir" commands don't bother it (including
those in secondary shells).  Also - dir with anything after it doesn't
trigger the interrupt (dir *.txt, dir .., dir \bin, etc.).  But even if
I'm several hours into a session, and have given all sorts of dir commands
like these, the first plain "dir" gets the interrupt.

Anyway - overall I think it's a major improvement on COMMAND.  Some stuff is
slow, though; the directory descriptions seem to make deletions and file
moving sluggish.

David Black
dblack@pilot.njin.net

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (09/16/90)

-> jo>The biggist problem I have is with the Informix DBMS and
-> jo>MicroSoft Windows 3.0.
-> jo>The programs load into memory, thus creates multiple copies
-> jo>of 4DOS processes.
My friend is running Windows 3.0 with 4Dos on a 12Mhz AT with 1Meg.  He
hasn't found any problems yet, other than Windows dos shell calling
command.com instead of 4Dos.com, but that could be changed.

-> jo>Therefore, you quickly run out RAM in Windows.  This forces
-> jo>me to run non-
-> jo>windows programs in DOS only.  I really want to use Windows
-> jo>3.0 as the only
-> jo>interface. But, I guess I'll never be able to.
He is able to run Non-windows programs fine. (Harvard Graphics, Lotus 123,
etc..)  What kind of computer are you running on?  286 or 386?  I'll bet
that there is a solution somewhere out there just waiting to be found.

                                        -=+Greg+=-

(I hope the reply makes it here)
--- QuickBBS 2.64 (Eval)
 * Origin: Bohemia BBS system (303)449-8946 (200:5000/301)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith
INTERNET: Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (09/16/90)

-> DA>Greg, I like 4DOS a lot.  On my machine, it does one very
-> DA>odd thing, though.
-> DA>I'd be interested to know if it's done this anywhere
-> DA>else....
-> DA>The first time I give the command "dir" after booting, I
-> DA>get a memory parity
-> DA>non-maskable interrupt.  After I tell the interrupt to go
-> DA>away, everything
-> DA>seems (?) OK.
This has never happened due to 4Dos on my computer (XT clone)  I have had
memory parity failures, but that is due to some faulty connections or chips
scattered throughout the machine.  Can you use other commands w/o using
dir, and still get the failure when the first dir is issued?
If so, It could be a possible bug in 4Dos.  What version are you running?
I am using 3.01a, and am trying to get ahold of 3.02.

-> DA>Anyway - overall I think it's a major improvement on
-> DA>COMMAND.  Some stuff is
-> DA>slow, though; the directory descriptions seem to make
-> DA>deletions and file
-> DA>moving sluggish.
I have noticed that too.  On my firends AT, it isn't noticable.  I think
that only shows up on slow computers...

                                -=+Greg+=-
--- QuickBBS 2.64 (Eval)
 * Origin: Bohemia BBS system (303)449-8946 (200:5000/301)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith
INTERNET: Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (09/16/90)

-> GG>I've been using it for about two weeks.  I love it!  I
-> GG>especially like
-> GG>the VMS-style aliases, extensive help, and the built-in
-> GG>extended batch
-> GG>language.
Those are my favorite features.  I have tons of aliases, and few batch
files now.

-> GG>What problems have you had with it?
None so far.  Gotta go...  (1 min left!)

dblack@pilot.njin.net (David Alan Black) (09/23/90)

Greg Smith writes, on 9/16/90:

>-> DA>Greg, I like 4DOS a lot.  On my machine, it does one very
>-> DA>odd thing, though.
>-> DA>I'd be interested to know if it's done this anywhere
>-> DA>else....
>-> DA>The first time I give the command "dir" after booting, I
>-> DA>get a memory parity
>-> DA>non-maskable interrupt.  After I tell the interrupt to go
>-> DA>away, everything
>-> DA>seems (?) OK.
>This has never happened due to 4Dos on my computer (XT clone)  I have had
>memory parity failures, but that is due to some faulty connections or chips
>scattered throughout the machine.  Can you use other commands w/o using
>dir, and still get the failure when the first dir is issued?
>If so, It could be a possible bug in 4Dos.  What version are you running?
>I am using 3.01a, and am trying to get ahold of 3.02.

(The first quote above is from me - I think you took my middle initial as
my last initial.)

Yes, I can use other commands and the first "dir" still triggers the
interrupt - I can even use commands like "dir *.*" and other elaborate
dir commands, but the first plain "dir" still fails.

Right now, I'm using 3.01.  This interrupt weirdness happened on 3.0 also -
in fact, a letter on the subject to JP Software was what brought me 3.01.
Anyway, for better or worse, I've sort of gotten used to it, and nothing
else of the kind seems to happen.

More 4DOS lore:

An acquaintance of mine wrote a shell program for PKZIP and PKUNZIP, which
didn't behave properly under 4DOS.  As I recall, something went wrong with
filename construction, like adding an extra period, so that when the ZIP
shell summoned ZIP, ZIP was unable to find files.  My friend patched the
program (which had worked perfectly under COMMAND, by the way).  I wonder,
though, if the old version would work under 4DOS 3.01 - I didn't study all
the changes in detail, but I think they've changed some things which might
be related (I was running it under 3.0).

David
dblack@pilot.njin.net

                        "It's Superman!"
                        "Ce n'est pas possible!"