[comp.os.msdos.misc] help: peculiar msdos 3.3 crash

pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (10/01/90)

After some software anomolies, I decided to run a disk optimizer
(fastrax), which had me run chkdsk first.  It found problems in a
hidden file ibmbio.com among others, and truncated it. Not knowing the
significance at the time, I compacted away.  Later, when my machine
wouldn't boot, I deleted and copied both ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com
several ways, ("sys" didnt work), but cannnot solve it and I suspect
some directory tinkering might.  I am runing msdos 3.30 on a zenith
supersport286e.

I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (10/01/90)

In article <POLLACK.90Sep30235136@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu>, pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) writes:
> [ibmbio.com scrogged]
>
> I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
> install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
> experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.

Try this.  It may not work, but it won't hurt anything, and it's quick.
	1. Put original DOS disk in drive A:
	2. Power up
	3. Type the command "SYS C:"
	4. Remove DOS disk from drive A:
	5. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
If it can, it will pur IBMBIO.COM and the other one (IBMSYS.COM?) back
on your hard disk.  If you can then boot successfully, there's no need
for a low-level format based on your description of the situation.  (I
have received email to the contrary, but I stand by this statement.)

However, you probably need to look into _how_ ibmbio.com got scrogged
in the first place.

The above is my own opinion and not attributable to any other person or
organization.                        email: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.    (216) 371-0043

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/02/90)

In article <POLLACK.90Sep30235136@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu> pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>After some software anomolies, I decided to run a disk optimizer
>(fastrax), which had me run chkdsk first.  It found problems in a
>hidden file ibmbio.com among others, and truncated it. Not knowing the
>significance at the time, I compacted away.  Later, when my machine
>wouldn't boot, I deleted and copied both ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com
>several ways, ("sys" didnt work), but cannnot solve it and I suspect
>some directory tinkering might.  I am runing msdos 3.30 on a zenith
>supersport286e.
>
>I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
>install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
>experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.

Assuming  SYS C:  from a floppy does not work, dig out the Norton Utilities
version 4.5 or greater, and run diskfix.  There is a "Make disk bootable"
option under one of the submenus ("Common problems" or something).
Run it.

If you lack norton, buy it.  Otherwise, try something like this:

IF your disk defrag program (fastrax) likes to group files from the same
directory physically together on the disk, you can make space at the start
of your disk as follows:  copy IBMBIO.COM from a floppy into a file on the
hard drive called AAAAAAAA.AAA.  Remove the system/readonly/hidden (shr--)
attributes for now, so fastrax will not ignore it.  Now run fastrax,
fasttrax, and it ought to place AAAAAAAA.AAA physically first (assuming it
does a physical sort as noted previously).  After it completes, rename the
AAAAAAAA.AAA file to IBMBIO.COM, give it the correct attributes (shr--),
and try rebooting.  Good Luck.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

andy (Andy Vaught) (10/02/90)

pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) writes:

> After some software anomolies, I decided to run a disk optimizer
> (fastrax), which had me run chkdsk first.  It found problems in a
> hidden file ibmbio.com among others, and truncated it. Not knowing the
> significance at the time, I compacted away.  Later, when my machine
> wouldn't boot, I deleted and copied both ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com
> several ways, ("sys" didnt work), but cannnot solve it and I suspect
> some directory tinkering might.  I am runing msdos 3.30 on a zenith
> supersport286e.
>
> I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
> install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
> experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.

It looks like you're going to have to go and do a low-level reformat and
backup. IBMDOS and IBMBIO require very special treatment, since they have
to be loaded by a simple loader that has almost no idea of what the DOS
file structure is like. This is because IBMDOS and IBMBIO *are* DOS. The
following restrictions apply:
 1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
 2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
 3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
stored in order in contiguous clusters.

As you can see, after deleting these files and compacting your HD, things
are truly screwed up. As it is now, other files occupy these reserved
directory entries and clusters. Although it would be possible to move the
two files to new directory entries, and reassign the first clusters, it
would not be easy at all. I know of no program that allows one to get this
"low level" with file structure, and writing such a special utility would
probably be more trouble than its worth. Reformat time...

kaldis@emerald.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (10/02/90)

In article <POLLACK.90Sep30235136@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu> pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) writes:

> After some software anomolies, I decided to run a disk optimizer
> (fastrax), which had me run chkdsk first.  It found problems in a
> hidden file ibmbio.com among others, and truncated it.  [...]

> I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
> install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
> experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.

There are two things you must do.  First, you must clear enough
*contiguous* space at the beginning of the disk to accommodate both
IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM.  The easiest way to do this is to append
a dummy file to the end of one of them to make up for the truncated
portion.  Change the attributes so that it isn't SYSTEM, HIDDEN,
READ-ONLY and do "COPY /b IBMBIO.COM+DUMMY IBMBIO.DUM".  (The "b" flag
tells DOS that these are binary files, so DOS then handles them in
"raw" rather than "cooked" mode -- i.e., it doesn't quit when a ^Z --
the end-of file character -- is encounterd.  I'm not sure if it will
work if you copy the file to a file of the same name -- in some cases
it doesn't.)  Erase the original IBMBIO.COM and rename IBMBIO.DUM to
IBMBIO.COM, and sort the root directory so that it is the first file
listed, followed by IBMDOS.COM, and reset its attributes to SYSTEM,
HIDDEN, READ-ONLY.  Re-compact the disk.  Then erase IBMBIO.COM and
IBMDOS.COM (you will have to unset the READ-ONLY flags on these files
to do so).  Then go back and edit the root directory.  Change the very
first character in the filenames of the two erased IBM*.COM files from
a E5 hex to 00.  SYS should now work.

P.S., Some disk compactors will not alter the location of system
files, so there is no guarantee that the above WILL actually work.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

[the phone is soon to follow, as I will soon depart for California]

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (10/02/90)

In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> andy (Andy Vaught) writes:
> 1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
> 2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
> 3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
>stored in order in contiguous clusters.
>
>As you can see, after deleting these files and compacting your HD, things
>are truly screwed up. As it is now, other files occupy these reserved
>directory entries and clusters. Although it would be possible to move the
>two files to new directory entries, and reassign the first clusters, it
>would not be easy at all. I know of no program that allows one to get this
>"low level" with file structure, and writing such a special utility would
>probably be more trouble than its worth. Reformat time...

You're far too pessimistic.  It's very easy to move files:  just copy them under
a new name, delete the old ones, and rename the new ones.  It's not hard to move
subdirectories:  create a new one, move all the files, delete the old one,
rename (or not if you don't have a directory renamer) the new one.
(You have to be a little careful about the order you do things, or you'll end
up with the new ones in the same spots as the old ones.  Do all the copying
before any of the deleting.)

The hard part is knowing which files to move.  For that you need a program
that'll show you the filenames associated with each cluster on your disk.
The best one of those that I've see is (blush) the one I wrote myself,
SHOWFAT.  Send me mail if you'd like a copy...

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

bomgard@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Tim Bomgardner) (10/02/90)

In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> andy (Andy Vaught) writes:
}pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) writes:
}
}>[trashed bios and bdos, and can't get them back]
[...]

Softlogic Disk Optimizer will do this without batting an eye.  I'm sure
other "file rearranger" utilities can also handle it.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/03/90)

In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> andy (Andy Vaught) writes:
>pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) writes:
>
>> After some software anomolies, I decided to run a disk optimizer
>> (fastrax), which had me run chkdsk first.  It found problems in a
>> hidden file ibmbio.com among others, and truncated it. Not knowing the
>> significance at the time, I compacted away.  Later, when my machine
>> wouldn't boot, I deleted and copied both ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com
>> several ways, ("sys" didnt work), but cannnot solve it and I suspect
>> some directory tinkering might.  I am runing msdos 3.30 on a zenith
>> supersport286e.
>>
>> I know I can fully back up my disk, then reformat it, and run
>> install and sys, but that will take many hours and floppies. Do any
>> experts know a shorter way? Thanks in advance.
>
>It looks like you're going to have to go and do a low-level reformat and
>backup. IBMDOS and IBMBIO require very special treatment, since they have
>to be loaded by a simple loader that has almost no idea of what the DOS
>file structure is like. This is because IBMDOS and IBMBIO *are* DOS. The
>following restrictions apply:
> 1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
> 2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
> 3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
>stored in order in contiguous clusters.
>
>As you can see, after deleting these files and compacting your HD, things
>are truly screwed up. As it is now, other files occupy these reserved
>directory entries and clusters. Although it would be possible to move the
>two files to new directory entries, and reassign the first clusters, it
>would not be easy at all. I know of no program that allows one to get this
>"low level" with file structure, and writing such a special utility would
>probably be more trouble than its worth. Reformat time...

I believe some of the utilites like Norton and such allow you to put the boot
tracks on. They will move files as necessary to make the proper space.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (10/05/90)

In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, andy (Andy Vaught) writes:
> It looks like you're going to have to go and do a low-level reformat and
> backup.

In an earlier posting, I disagreed.  I still disagree.(*)

>         IBMDOS and IBMBIO require very special treatment, since they have
> to be loaded by a simple loader that has almost no idea of what the DOS
> file structure is like.

True as far as it goes.  But "almost no idea" is not the same as "no idea".

> The following restrictions apply:
>  1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
>  2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
>  3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
> stored in order in contiguous clusters.

1 and 2 are true for all DOS versions up through 3.3 (which was the
original poster's question).  3 is >> FALSE << for DOS 3.3.  Sometime
before then-- I'm not sure how far back--Microsoft removed condition 3
so that you could install a new version of DOS by doing SYS C: without
formatting the hard disk.  As a side effect, you can also RE-install the
same version of DOS, unless IBMBIO.COM or the first sector of IBMDOS.COM
has been deleted.

There may be another problem that will make you reformat your hard disk,
but this problem is not it.

(*) If IBMBIO.COM/IBMDOS.COM are scrogged beyond repair, and something
else is occupying their sectors, then you do have to reformat your hard
disk.  But it's not a low-level reformat, just a simple "FORMAT C: /S".

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (10/06/90)

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) writes:

>In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, andy (Andy Vaught) writes:

>> The following restrictions apply:
>>  1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
>>  2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
>>  3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
>> stored in order in contiguous clusters.

>1 and 2 are true for all DOS versions up through 3.3 (which was the
>original poster's question).  3 is >> FALSE << for DOS 3.3.

Who knows something about upgrading to Dos 4.01? I tried to do
it with Norton's Disk Doctor and it seemed to work first but on
the second day Dos destroyed the boot-area, fat and directory of
the hard-disk on C: while running an endless loop that was writing data
on D: (second partition) and this second partition got full.

DOS 4.01 can read floppy disks with the old type of FAT but what about
hard disks? And what about Dos's signature that every disk gets that
is formatted with 4.01? Is it really necessary on hard disks?
Could the missing of this signature cause DOS to overwrite the FAT?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Tel 07641/48652
BITNET   : HAKL@DFRRUF1
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/06/90)

In article <1286.270b48d3@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) writes:
>In article <5XwDq2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, andy (Andy Vaught) writes:
>> It looks like you're going to have to go and do a low-level reformat and
>> backup.
>
>In an earlier posting, I disagreed.  I still disagree.(*)

    So do I.

>> The following restrictions apply:
>>  1) IBMBIO.COM (IO.SYS) must be the first file in the root directory
>>  2) IBMDOS.COM (MSDOS.SYS) must be the second file
>>  3) The files must be the first files stored on disk, and they must be
>> stored in order in contiguous clusters.
>
>1 and 2 are true for all DOS versions up through 3.3 (which was the
>original poster's question).  3 is >> FALSE << for DOS 3.3.  Sometime

    The first cluster of IO.SYS/IBMBIO.COM *must* be in the first data
cluster (cluster #2).  The bootstrap loader does assume it is the first
files on disk and is contiguous, but after the furst cluster it doesn't
matter.  The first thing the code in that first sector's worth does is
to read in the FAT, and reload IO.SYS.

>There may be another problem that will make you reformat your hard disk,
>but this problem is not it.
>
>(*) If IBMBIO.COM/IBMDOS.COM are scrogged beyond repair, and something
>else is occupying their sectors, then you do have to reformat your hard
>disk.  But it's not a low-level reformat, just a simple "FORMAT C: /S".

    Even still should not require a format.  Judicious use of debug to
move cluster around, and something like NU to make it easier to edit the
contents would allow you to move whatever's in cluster 2 away, then you
can either SYS the disk, or reboot from floppy and COPY io.sys and
msdos.sys onto the hard disk.  (the reboot is necessary so that DOS will
re-use that lowest cluster instead of the lowest "cluster that hasn't
been used yet this session".

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (10/07/90)

Create a large file on your disk. Unhide the system files. Run Norton
Utilities SD program. Under options specify that the large file is to
come first . Then Compact disk. Then erase large file. There should
then be room for sys to install the two hidden ibm files in the proper
place.
--
Dave Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805-2710 (219)-482-9631
EMAIL:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (10/09/90)

If you have _The Norton Utilities_, verson 4.5 or higher, you can simply use
the Norton Disk Doctor to straighten out your DOS hidden files.  Choose
"Make a Disk Bootable" off the menu.  _PC Tools Deluxe_ may have similar
functionality.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|