[comp.os.msdos.misc] looking for DOS shell with specific features ...

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (10/07/90)

specifically, i'm looking for a freeware/shareware DOS shell which has
features like command-/filename expansion (so i can type the first two
characters of a filename and then a meta-command and watch the shell
fill in the filename).

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>
#     via X.400: S=mensch; OU=informatik; P=tu-muenchen; A=dbp; C=de

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (10/09/90)

In article <3599@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
>specifically, i'm looking for a freeware/shareware DOS shell which has
>features like command-/filename expansion (so i can type the first two
>characters of a filename and then a meta-command and watch the shell
>fill in the filename).

4dos is just what you need.  It has both command and filename expansion.

For the former, you can press the up arrow to rotate through your last
(I forget the number) commands.  If you type one or more letters and
then press the up arrow, 4dos will provide you with previous commands
that match.

As for the latter, you can type F9 to rotate through all the files
in your current directory or you can type one or more letters and then
press F9 to rotate through all appropriate filenames.

In addition, you can define variables and VMS-type aliases.  And 4dos
has added and enhanced internal commands (e.g., MOVE!).

I know you can ftp 4dos but I don't remember where since I can't ftp. :(
However there has been a lot of discussion about 4dos in this newsgroup
and in comp.os.msdos.apps.  Maybe someone else can help you with this.

Good luck!

Gail

--
Respond to claris!wet!gail@ames.arc.nasa.gov
        or gail@wet.UUCP

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (10/09/90)

gail@wet.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:

> I know you can ftp 4dos but I don't remember where since I can't ftp. :(

chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3) -- 4DOS302.ZIP (363,004 bytes).

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/11/90)

Try 4DOS, a shareware package by J.P. Software in East Arlington,
Massachusetts.  It does filename completion, and in addition a
whole bunch of other things you'll get hooked on really fast.  You
can find it on many local BBS's, usually under the name 4DOS302.ZIP/
LZH/PAK.  I've used this program for almost eighteen months, and
would give up DOS if I couldn't.  It's unique.

Cathy

Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM