[comp.os.msdos.misc] DOS -- PC vs MS

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (10/05/90)

Recently I had to have the hard disk on my machine. When the technician
replaced the disk, he formatted it and installed DOS 3.3 as per my request.
However, instead of installing MS-DOS 3.3 (which is what I own, have the
floppies for, etc.) he installed IBM PC-DOS.  I didn't notice this till
I had lots of stuff on the disk.

Two questions:

	1.  Does this matter?  (My machine is not an IBM, by the way.)

	2.  Can I "fix" this by simply copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
		from my DOS floppies?

I'd like to avoid having to reformat the hard disk to install the correct
version of DOS if possible.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jmann@es.stratus.com

levericw@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Walden Leverich) (10/05/90)

jmann writes:
>2.  Can I "fix" this by simply copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS from my
>      DOS folppies?
If you have the originals from MS-DOS just use the sys command to install
MS-DOS onto your hard disk. Using the DOS copy command will not work for
IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS must be in certain sectors of the drive.  Copy
COMMAND.COM onto your drive from floppy.  You may have to replace the
DOS support files (XCOPY,FORMAT etc) with the ones from MS-DOS but I
don't think so.

Hope this helps.

-Walden

bomgard@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Tim Bomgardner) (10/05/90)

In article <2612@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
}Recently I had to have the hard disk on my machine. When the technician
}replaced the disk, he formatted it and installed DOS 3.3 as per my request.
}However, instead of installing MS-DOS 3.3 (which is what I own, have the
}floppies for, etc.) he installed IBM PC-DOS.  I didn't notice this till
}I had lots of stuff on the disk.
}
}Two questions:
}
}	1.  Does this matter?  (My machine is not an IBM, by the way.)
}
}	2.  Can I "fix" this by simply copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
}		from my DOS floppies?
}
}I'd like to avoid having to reformat the hard disk to install the correct
}version of DOS if possible.
}
}
}Jim Mann
}Stratus Computer
}jmann@es.stratus.com

1. Yes, since you've most likely violated a licensing agreement.

2. Yes.  Remove the readonly/system/hidden attributes from the IBM files,
delete them, then sys c: using the MS-DOS disk in drive a:

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/06/90)

In article <2612@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>Recently I had to have the hard disk on my machine. When the technician
>replaced the disk, he formatted it and installed DOS 3.3 as per my request.
>However, instead of installing MS-DOS 3.3 (which is what I own, have the
>floppies for, etc.) he installed IBM PC-DOS.  I didn't notice this till
>I had lots of stuff on the disk.
>
>Two questions:
>
>	1.  Does this matter?  (My machine is not an IBM, by the way.)

    The only difference you will notice is that SYS and FORMAT /S will
no longer work properly if it's PC-DOS's IBMBIO and IBMDOS, and MS-DOS's
utilities (or vice versa).

>	2.  Can I "fix" this by simply copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
>		from my DOS floppies?

    No, you'll have to edit the boot sector too - it contains the names
of the files that MUST be there for it to work.  Of course, if you can
do that, you can also just rename IBMBIO and IBMDOS; but be aware of the
not in item 1.

    You *should* be able to delete IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM and then
SYS the system (after having booted from the floppy, and using the SYS
command from the floppy, not from the hard disk.).  If SYS refuses, reboot
the system from the floppy after you delete the files, then COPY both
IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS to the hard disk.  (You reboot to make sure that DOS
will put them in the lowest available clusters.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (10/08/90)

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:

> Recently I had to have the hard disk on my machine. When the technician
> replaced the disk, he formatted it and installed DOS 3.3 as per my request.
> However, instead of installing MS-DOS 3.3 (which is what I own, have the
> floppies for, etc.) he installed IBM PC-DOS.  I didn't notice this till
> I had lots of stuff on the disk.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 	1.  Does this matter?  (My machine is not an IBM, by the way.)
>
> 	2.  Can I "fix" this by simply copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
> 		from my DOS floppies?
>
> I'd like to avoid having to reformat the hard disk to install the correct
> version of DOS if possible.

Unhide IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM and rename them to IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
respectively.The order is important!!! Copy the MS DOS 3.3 files over
the top of the renamed files and all should be OK.I think you could even
do SYS C: for that matter.

Jack Lupic

Scarborough,Ontario-CANADA

jaria@tuura.UUCP (Jari Artes) (10/11/90)

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) writes:

>Unhide IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM and rename them to IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS
>respectively.The order is important!!! Copy the MS DOS 3.3 files over
>the top of the renamed files and all should be OK.I think you could even
>do SYS C: for that matter.

Copying the 3.3 files (io.sys and msdos.sys) isn't quite enough as the
bootstrap loader on the first sector of the partition tries to load
ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com the next time you reboot your computer.
SYS C: will take care of that, though.

What comes to the original question, I haven't encountered any problems
running IBM PC-DOS 3.3 in a variety of clones over the last couple of
years.  I haven't ever bothered to compare whose manufacturer's dos
gives the biggest tpa but there shouldn't be a big difference.  Of
course it is wiser to use the dos you received with your pc as it
may contain some added value features like support for dos 4 partitions
etc.

>Jack Lupic

Jari Artes