[comp.os.msdos.misc] redirection from com1 to lpt2

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/12/90)

In article <8962@helios.TAMU.EDU>, klf1305@che_sun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) writes:
> 	I have a problem.  We have a professor who is using a
> piece of software call EGG.  It is a word processor.  When EGG
> is printing Postscript, it expects the printer to be at com1.
> However, we are using Ultrascript, I believe, and it is a HP
> Laserjet at lpt2.  So the Question is,
>
> 	Is is possible to redirect com1 to lpt2?
>
> 	Kelly Fergason

It's possible to redirect COM1 to LPT2, IF the application program
is using the DOS or BIOS services for writing to COM1.  Since it
isn't possible to write much of a program using the DOS or BIOS
serial port services, relatively few programs actually use those
services.  As a result, there's not much point in building such
a redirector.

It might make more sense to buy a serial-to-parallel converter
instead -- preferably one with a big buffer in it.
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
If "right of the people" in the Second Amendment doesn't refer to an