[comp.os.msdos.misc] Help :: Dos HD Partitions

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (10/15/90)

Can anyone out there tell me if it's possible (under Dos 3.3 or 4.01)
to format an 80Meg Hard Disk without having to partition it?
If not, then could I get away with a no more than 2 partitions or
do they all have to be 32Meg partitions and then one of whatever is
left over?
	I have a Dell 210 with a 40Meg HD and want to put in a connor
80Meg HD. Would I need to get a new controller card for the new disk?
I don't know if the existing card HD is RLL, SCSI, ESDI or whatever.
 Thanks,
	John Grogan.
     3rd Year Computer Science		   jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu
      Trinity College, Dublin.  		  jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/17/90)

In article <7023.27199600@vax1.tcd.ie> jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Can anyone out there tell me if it's possible (under Dos 3.3 or 4.01)
>to format an 80Meg Hard Disk without having to partition it?

Yes, at least as I think you mean it.  DOS actually uses the term partition
in a way that formatting it as a single C: drive is also called partitioning.
But you mean that you want to format your 80 meg hard disk as one 80 meg
C: drive, rather than two or three virtual disks, right?

If that's what you meant, just get DOS 4.01, run FDISK, and select the
whole drive as a single large partition.  Then format it.  It's that
simple.

(Good news is fun!;> )

Cathy
Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM

kmcvay@oneb (10/17/90)

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

> Can anyone out there tell me if it's possible (under Dos 3.3 or 4.01)
> to format an 80Meg Hard Disk without having to partition it?
> If not, then could I get away with a no more than 2 partitions or
> do they all have to be 32Meg partitions and then one of whatever is
> left over?
> 	I have a Dell 210 with a 40Meg HD and want to put in a connor
> 80Meg HD. Would I need to get a new controller card for the new disk?
> I don't know if the existing card HD is RLL, SCSI, ESDI or whatever.

MS-DOS 4.01 permits you to use the entire disk as one partition, but I don't
know what the size limit is off-hand. I have a 110-meg partition which, with
one exception, has been trouble-free. The exception? Once I had >48MB on the
disk, none of the optimizers available could handle the partition. With the
release, however, of Golden Bow's VOPT v3.0, that problem was solved, and I
can now maintain the disk efficiently on a daily basis

The disk runs on a dos gateway, and contains 500 subdirectories and about
13,500 files (newsgroup articles))

I've been installing MS-DOS 4.01 for a year or so, and have always set up
the disks (<150MB) with a single partition, although how you want to set
things up is a subjective matter.

Earlier versions of MS-DOS required special device drivers (DiskManager,
etc.) to create partitions >32 megs, although I seem to recall 3.3 would
permit you to do this via fdisk extended partitions...

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/21/90)

In article <eue7q1w163w@oneb> kmcvay@oneb writes:

>                                                      Once I had >48MB on the
>disk, none of the optimizers available could handle the partition. With the
>release, however, of Golden Bow's VOPT v3.0, that problem was solved, and I
>can now maintain the disk efficiently on a daily basis

I've got a 104 meg hard disk formatted under DOS 4.01 in a single partition.
At present over seventy megs is full of files.  Neither Norton's Speeddisk
nor Gazelle's Optune have ever had a problem on my disk.  I wonder if there
was something strange about your HD that confused them.

kmcvay@oneb (10/22/90)

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) writes:

> I've got a 104 meg hard disk formatted under DOS 4.01 in a single partition.
> At present over seventy megs is full of files.  Neither Norton's Speeddisk
> nor Gazelle's Optune have ever had a problem on my disk.  I wonder if there
> was something strange about your HD that confused them.

You may be right, Cathy - the system is a mail gateway, and carries from 11K
to 16K files - perhaps it was the number of files, or the number of
subdirectories which caused Norton SD to fail - whatever it was, the message
from SD was always the same: Not Enough Memory - VOPT doesn't have that
problem, nor will it thrash disks using DiskManager's dmdrvr.bin, which has
been a real problem for folks using DM and SD in this neck of the woods.

I _would_ like to find out if there are differences between your system,
where SD works fine, and mine, where it doesn't - there must be  some more
folks out there with experience running (or trying to) SD on >48MB
partitions, and it would be useful to hear from them...

How many directories exist on your partition? (Mine runs about 460, and SD
still can't deal with the partition).

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/23/90)

>In article <eue7q1w163w@oneb> kmcvay@oneb writes:
>>with release of Golden Bow's VOPT v3.0, that problem was solved, and I

    How can I contact Golden Bow?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

kmcvay@onebdos.UUCP (Ken McVay) (10/23/90)

 > >In article <eue7q1w163w@oneb> kmcvay@oneb writes:
 > >>with release of Golden Bow's VOPT v3.0, that problem was solved, and I
 >
 >     How can I contact Golden Bow?

Golden Bow Systems
Box 3039
San Diego, California 92163
(619) 483-0901

---
 * Origin: 1B Systems Management Limited, Nanaimo, British Columbia (89:681/1)
--
        Ken McVay,  via IMEx node 89:681/1 (onebdos.UUCP) Nanaimo, B.C.
        Internet: kmcvay@oneb.UUCP       UUCP: uunet!van-bc!oneb!kmcvay