& trees.

Any suggestions (by e-mail?)?
thanks.

Jon
--
grantham@math.lsa.umich.edu   Jon_Grantham@ub.cc.umich.edu   grantham@super.org

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/07/90)

:

An extract from my FAQ (available as /pc/ts/tsfaq11b.arc at uwasa.fi
by anonymous fto or mail server):

1. *****
 Q: I want to capture to a file everything that comes on the
screen. How do I do this?

 A: There are two sets of programs that are useful here. The first
set consist of programs which automatically capture to a file
everything that comes on the screen. Examples of these "scrolling"
programs are /pc/pd2/concpy11.zip (or whatever version is the
latest) and /pc/pd2/script11.zip.
   The second set are the "static" programs which capture a snapshot
of the screen, or a portion of the screen at the invocation of a hot
key. Get /pc/pd2/snippr22.zip for such a utility. Another is
/pc/printer/lamneth.zip which redirects the results of pressing the
PrintScreen key to a file instead of the printer. Please note that
these programs only work for the text mode. They won't capture
graphics output. (The same also goes for the next Q&As).

2. *****
 Q: I want to get printed everything that comes to the screen. How
can I achieve this?

 A: Simple. First capture the output to a file (see the previous
Q&A) and then print the file.

3. *****
 Q: How can I direct all output to a file instead of the printer?

 A: There is a good utility called /pc/pd2/lptx.zip exactly for this
purpose. It comes in several versions. There is another utility
/pc/printer/prn2file.zip which I haven't tested myself, but should
be good judging from the comments of the others.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.3, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't
be able to utilize the mail server anyway.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)