[comp.os.msdos.misc] How can I get 4 floppies on a system

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (11/06/90)

I want to get an MSDOS system configured with 4 floppy disks.  The hardware
is the easy part - I have a floppy controller card which can drive up to 4
floppy drives.

The part which I don't have much of a clue about is how to get MSDOS to
recognize the extra two floppy disks.  The card came with no software and a
page or two for a manual so that's not much help.

Do I need a separate driver for the other 2 drives?  Is there a public
domain version available somewhere?  Commercial version?  Do the new drives
become D: and E: or are the floppies A: -> D: and the hard disk is E:?

Thanks for any input.

--
Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Inc., Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (11/08/90)

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) writes:

>I want to get an MSDOS system configured with 4 floppy disks.  The hardware
>is the easy part - I have a floppy controller card which can drive up to 4
>floppy drives.

[...]

>Do I need a separate driver for the other 2 drives?  Is there a public
>domain version available somewhere?  Commercial version?  Do the new drives
>become D: and E: or are the floppies A: -> D: and the hard disk is E:?

You need to use "driver.sys".  It should have come with your MS-DOS OS.  If
you don't have it, then upgrade your OS.  The manual will tell you all you
need to know about it.

[...]

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz