[comp.os.msdos.misc] 2 disk controlers in one AT?

wood@spock (Dale Wood) (11/07/90)

Hi,

Is it possable for DOS to recognize more than one AT type hard drive controler?

There seems to be no problem within the UNIX envirement as long as the controlers
addressing and interupts are co-operativly set.

...Dale Wood

     wood@software.mitel.com

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (11/09/90)

In article <5215@wood>, wood@spock (Dale Wood) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Is it possable for DOS to recognize more than one AT type hard drive controler?
>
>There seems to be no problem within the UNIX envirement as long as the controlers
>addressing and interupts are co-operativly set.
>
>...Dale Wood
>
>     wood@software.mitel.com

You have to have the correct type of controller. Not all allow themselves
to be reconfigured. I just did it with a WD1003-RA2 and it worked fine.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (11/13/90)

Please forgive the public post as Replies don't make it out of here.

Yes you may have a second controller. Most Controllers allow setting of
a secondary address. Now, the BIOS needs to know it or a device driver
is needed.

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (11/16/90)

I just saw a floppy controller advertised in the JDR catalog that "auto-
maticaly" detects the first controller and sets itself up as the second,
setting the drive numbers correctly, too. It's on page 27 and it's
"name" is MCT-FDC-HD (for 2 drives) for $49.95. If you want 4 drives,
just add a '4' to the p/n and $10 to the cost.
			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)