[comp.os.msdos.misc] dos memory question

skumar@cbnewsh.att.com (swaminathan.ravikumar) (10/30/90)

is there a version of dos that runs under protected mode (386)? that
is, it uses a flat addressing mechanism. no added features,
like os2. if one exists then there won't be a need for dos extenders.
also, is it doable or am i asking an impossible thing and if so
why?

can any one help.

thanks.

-- ravi
skumar@hocus.att.com

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (11/20/90)

skumar@cbnewsh.att.com (swaminathan.ravikumar) writes:

>is there a version of dos that runs under protected mode (386)? that
>is, it uses a flat addressing mechanism. no added features,
>like os2. if one exists then there won't be a need for dos extenders.
>also, is it doable or am i asking an impossible thing and if so
>why?

  There is no direct version of DOS that runs in protected mode, too
convenient I guess. There are various DOS extenders floating about,
can't tell you any names though. I have a faint recollection of
a product known as "Extended DOS", but that's all I know. Try contacting
your local software peddler/pirater, for commercial products.
  Dr. Dobbs journal had a few articles and programs for extending DOS a
couple of months back, now that I think of it. Try flipping through
there.

     "Round and round the while() loop goes;
           Whether it stops," Turing says, "nobody knows."