[comp.os.msdos.misc] $$$ EXCLUSIVE GAME CLUB $$$ -- Indy 500

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (11/16/90)

> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu writes:
> Msg-ID: <1990Nov16.024923.10983@d.cs.okstate.edu>
> Person: ONG ENG TENG
>
> Next time, LHX, the next-generation US Army attack helicopter!

[What was the point behind this post exactly?  Just curious...]

Don't bother with LHX - it's a waste of space.  The graphics are terrible and
it is also a terrible sim.  For good sound get Their Finest Hour - The Battle
of Britain by Lucasfilm Games (also has good graphics) and Wing Commander
(forgot who makes it... awesome graphics and pretty good sound).
--
USENET: a864@mindlink.UUCP     |  "I've got compassion running
BITNET: usernk1z@sfu           |  out of my nose, pal. I'm the

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (11/16/90)

$$$ EXCLUSIVE GAME CLUB $$$

Ever get into a Penske Chevrolet, throttle up to 10000 RPM, and shoot down
the tracks of the Indy Speedway at over 200 mph?  Hear the racing engine
roar, hear the tires squeak as you zoom thru a 90 degree turn at top speed,
discriminate your opponent engine noise from yours as he slowly catches up
with you.

I have been doing that for the past three months, and yes, (you guessed
it), it's on my PC.  NO, NO, NO!  The sound did not come from the feeblish
PC speaker, neither was I holding a puny $10 joystick (sorry if I sound
obnoxious).  The sound, loud as a real racing car, comes from 80 watts
of hi-fi speakers, hooked to an amplifier and a Creative Sound Blaster card.
The "joystick" is actually a Maxx full-size airplane yoke, giving the
simulation a real "feel" and sound environment.  The program, Indy 500,
provides superb 3-D VGA graphics to compliment the sound, giving better
than video arcade simulation atmosphere (get to sit in your very own lazy
chair, dip down low like in a race car cockpit).

The "EXCLUSIVE" in the title refers to the ownership of better-than-average
accessaries for your PC gaming setup, like the full-size steering wheel (ok,
its a yoke), rudder padel, voice-recognization hardware (found any games
that use it yet?), sound card, etc.  Of course minimum 286 12Mhz and color
VGA is compulsory.

In article:<1990Nov17.025737.20558@d.cs.okstate.edu>, Ong Eng Teng writes:

> Did you have any appropriate sound card when trying out LHX?  (Yes, it
> sounds horrible thru the PC speaker).  If not, go get a sound card
> before you start huffing and puffing again.

Huffing and puffing?  What the hell are you talking about?  I was mearly
making some observations.  And yes, I did have an "appropriate" sound
card when trying the game.

> I don't recall Battle of Britain using the sound card.  I spent many
> many days and over five hundred dollars this summer on games alone, I
> have yet to find any game with the sound effect (thru 80 watts of hi-fi
> speakers, that is) that comes anywhere near LHX and Indy500.

Battle of Britain does indeed use the sound card... Indy 500 is quite
good on graphics and sound effects too.  I dunno.. just wasn't impressed
with LHX at all.

> Wing Commander itself might be another story.  Does it use any sound
> card (Sound Blaster or Adlib).  I saw some of its ad and admittedly was
> tempted to buy.  I might, if you say that it uses sound card.

WC uses a sound card (read the ad).  It is an excellent game.

> What's this hang-up about sound card?

What hang-up about sound cards?

--

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (11/17/90)

From article <3831@mindlink.UUCP>, by a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore):
> Don't bother with LHX - it's a waste of space.  The graphics are terrible and
> it is also a terrible sim.  For good sound get Their Finest Hour - The Battle
> of Britain by Lucasfilm Games (also has good graphics) and Wing Commander
> (forgot who makes it... awesome graphics and pretty good sound).

Did you have any appropriate sound card when trying out LHX?  (Yes, it sounds
horrible thru the PC speaker).  If not, go get a sound card before you
start huffing and puffing again.

I don't recall Battle of Britain using the sound card.  I spent many many days
and over five hundred dollars this summer on games alone, I have yet to find
any game with the sound effect (thru 80 watts of hi-fi speakers, that is)
that comes anywhere near LHX and Indy500.

Wing Commander itself might be another story.  Does it use any
sound card (Sound Blaster or Adlib).  I saw some of its ad and admittedly
was tempted to buy.  I might, if you say that it uses sound card.

What's this hang-up about sound card?  There is world, or galaxies of
difference between games using sound card and those that don't.  It takes you
PC gaming setup to the level ABOVE those in the video arcade.  In fact,
it is very hard to get me interested in games that don't have sound card
capability.  Point in case, I paid $40 in good money for MS Flight Simulator
version 4.  Two days later I gave it away despite its very good graphics plus
the fact that I have both the control yoke and rudder padel for it.  Its been
three months now and I have yet to miss it.  Try it, take yourself to a
higher level.  (My only problem is that game production companies hesitate to
spend timprogramming for the sound card, hence I am hoping more people will
use it, thereby encouraging them to do so).

Is Wing Commander so good as the ad implies?

|     DON'T TRASH IT UNTIL YOU HAVE TRY IT...  WITH A SOUND CARD, THAT IS     |

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/18/90)

From article <3831@mindlink.UUCP>, by a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore):
>> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu writes:
>> Msg-ID: <1990Nov16.024923.10983@d.cs.okstate.edu>
>> Person: ONG ENG TENG
>>
>> Next time, LHX, the next-generation US Army attack helicopter!
>
> [What was the point behind this post exactly?  Just curious...]
>
> Don't bother with LHX - it's a waste of space.  The graphics are terrible and
> it is also a terrible sim.  For good sound get Their Finest Hour - The Battle
> of Britain by Lucasfilm Games (also has good graphics) and Wing Commander
> (forgot who makes it... awesome graphics and pretty good sound).

Wing Commander is made by Origin Systems

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov16.024923.10983@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
|simulation a real "feel" and sound environment.  The program, Indy 500,
|provides superb 3-D VGA graphics to compliment the sound, giving better
|than video arcade simulation atmosphere (get to sit in your very own lazy
|chair, dip down low like in a race car cockpit).

This sounds interesting. I'd love to buy a realistic driving simulator
for my son to use before actually hitting the asphalt. But I want
simulated accidents and problems. Stalls on the freeway, people who
pull out in front of you, rain slicked roads, etc. Objects that
fall in the road way. Animals (deer) that run in front of you. Obstacles
that show up in the worst possible place on a blind curve. Maybe brake
failures on a long downhill. Something that will help him to avoid getting
into a serious accident as much as humanly possible.

--
KristallNacht: why every Jew should own an assault rifle.

weimer@ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov20.020425.26160@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>This sounds interesting. I'd love to buy a realistic driving simulator
>for my son to use before actually hitting the asphalt. But I want
>simulated accidents and problems. Stalls on the freeway, people who
>pull out in front of you, rain slicked roads, etc. Objects that
>fall in the road way. Animals (deer) that run in front of you. Obstacles
>that show up in the worst possible place on a blind curve. Maybe brake
>failures on a long downhill. Something that will help him to avoid getting
>into a serious accident as much as humanly possible.

Not a simulator, but helpfull (in some ways better):

1st step:
    Learn where the car is (the front bumper is not were the end of the
hood looks like it meets the road, etc). This is best done in a parking
lot with painted spaces. Pull into a space, [driver] get out and see where
car is. Back into a space, get out and check. Park with right wheels on
line, get out. Park with left wheels on line, back wheels on line, back
bumper over line, etc, etc.

2nd step:
    Practice turns, parking, etc. with cardboard boxes to miss. Extra:
while trying to pull up to (but not hit) a box, passenger unexpectedly
drops something on floor (learn to ignore distractions).

My biggest problem when I started: step on gas to go, consentrate on
keeping car in lane--ooops 58mph in a 35 zone...
Finding a large (long) parking lot could provide the needed practice here.

Gary Weimer