[comp.os.msdos.misc] Keystroke Software Program

brent@metapyr.UUCP (Brent Layne Robertson I) (11/20/90)

Does anyone know of software or a bbs with software that allows a user
to type combined keystrokes in a sequential order ie:

	rather than type "<crtl> c"

	type "<crtl>" then type "c"

This is for an aquaintance who is unable to type combonations of
keys in a multi-key environment.

Thanks you!  :`)

..Brent..
--
Brent Layne Robertson I					Phone:(313)663-6027
SnailMail: Meta LBMS, 315 East Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor, MI Zip: 48108

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (11/21/90)

In article <126@metapyr.UUCP> brent@metapyr.UUCP (Brent Layne Robertson I) writes:
>Does anyone know of software or a bbs with software that allows a user
>to type combined keystrokes in a sequential order ie:
>
>	rather than type "<crtl> c"
>
>	type "<crtl>" then type "c"
>
>This is for an aquaintance who is unable to type combonations of
>keys in a multi-key environment.

Hello Brent,
	You, and others, might be interested in the following directory
at SIMTEL [26.2.0.74]. The files are available via anonymous ftp or mail
server:

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.HANDICAP>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
1FINGER.ARC   B   14020  900205  Helps handicappers with multiple keystrokes
BDIR2.ZIP     B   19494  900524  Large character directory lister
BEDIT2.ZIP    B   61470  900523  Text editor. Uses large characters
BIGECHO.ZIP   B    4141  900523  Print large letters in batch files
BIGTIMER.ZIP  B   15376  900523  A timer with large characters
BLOOK2.ZIP    B   24009  900524  Look at ascii files in large characters
BPOP2.ZIP     B  101076  900523  TSR magnifying glass (10 to 52 chars/line)
BTYPE2.ZIP    B   20304  900524  DOS TYPE command in large characters
CAPSTATE.ZIP  B   24943  900523  Turn on/off or test keyboard caps lock
LOCKBEEP.ZIP  B    1550  900523  Different beeps for kbd caps lock/unlock
MEGAN.ZIP     B   11904  900523  Megan's Toy, a pop up text enlarger
SEEBEEP.ZIP   B    1547  900523  For hearing impaired: Beep flashes the screen
SIGN37.ZIP    B  238715  900523  Sign Friends: Learn sign language

Best,

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (11/21/90)

In article <126@metapyr.UUCP>, brent@metapyr.UUCP (Brent Layne Robertson I) writes:
>Does anyone know of software or a bbs with software that allows a user
>to type combined keystrokes in a sequential order ie:
>
>	rather than type "<crtl> c"
>
>	type "<crtl>" then type "c"
>
>This is for an aquaintance who is unable to type combonations of
>keys in a multi-key environment.
>
>Thanks you!  :`)
>
>..Brent..
>--
>Brent Layne Robertson I					Phone:(313)663-6027
>SnailMail: Meta LBMS, 315 East Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor, MI Zip: 48108
>UUCP:	{uunet!sharkey}{uunet!leebai}!metapyr!brent  -or-  brent@metapyr.UUCP

I've seen quite a few programs that do this, but if you are interested in
the fast screen updates, increased keyboard buffer, and ansi you might try
FansiConsole from Hersey Consulting. It also includes a function called
"Sticky Key" (or somesuch) which allows you to press Ctrl and then C. There
is a version 3.0 out (I think, I called the BBS and it mentioned it, but it
wasn't available on the BBS). Version 2.x only supports EGA though. It
actually converts the screen to an EGA type of screen (no 'dots' in the
zeros). I don't think it affected any of the graphics modes. When I
purchased my VGA a month or so ago, I had to drop it (until I can find the
VGA version).

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (11/21/90)

brent@metapyr.UUCP (Brent Layne Robertson I) writes:
>Does anyone know of software or a bbs with software that allows a user
>to type combined keystrokes in a sequential order

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

[...]

These files are also available from Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (11/23/90)

In article <126@metapyr.UUCP> brent@metapyr.UUCP (Brent Layne Robertson I) writes:
>Does anyone know of software or a bbs with software that allows a user
>to type combined keystrokes in a sequential order ie:
>
>	rather than type "<crtl> c"
>
>	type "<crtl>" then type "c"
>
>This is for an aquaintance who is unable to type combonations of
>keys in a multi-key environment.

	I haven't seen one. But you can do it by installing a clock interrupt
capturing the flags for Shift, Ctrl, Alt etc, and writing a new Int 10. This
will required the user to hold Ctrl (or whatever) key for certain length of
time. In order not to slow down the system, Set your clock interrupt at, see
2 second or longer, which means you have to hold Ctrl key for at least 2
seconds to allow the interrupt to capture it before your finger move on to
another key. Here is the pseudo code:

	Program seq_keystroke;
	  Get clock interrupt vector Vec1
	  Get keyboard interrupt vector Vec2
          Set clock interrupt to proc myclock_int
	  Set keyboard interrupt to proc mykey_int
	  Terminate and Stay
	endprogram

  	  Proc myclock_int;
            At every other 2 seconds do
	      Check Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Capt
	      if they are pressed, set their flag on
                 else set their flag off
	    enddo
	    Call interrupt at Vec1
	  endproc

	  Proc mykey_int;
            If any flag for Ctrl, Alt, Ship or Capt is on then
	       Modify the last keystroke in the keyboard buffer
	    Call interrupt at Vec2
	  endproc

	The limitation of this scheme is that it can not recognize such keystrokes when there are other keystrokes piled up in the keyboard buffer. But it is
OK I guess for most applications.