[comp.os.msdos.misc] ansi.sys/nansi.sys/zansi.sys/ansi.com ???

leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim) (11/10/90)

	Hello, There!
I just got nansi.sys, zansi.sys, and ansi.com in replacing the ansi.sys
from msdos. I was trying to use 80x50 character screen on those files and
none of them worked. Has anyone ever succeeded using 80x50 char mode by
using those files???

I am using msdos 4.01, and with 4dos command interpretor.

Thanks in advance!!!

--
lkjfdlkg sdfklgnsh sflhgjfhlfg
shlksgfgmljmdhgl;j,k'lj

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (11/12/90)

To: leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim)

LL>        Hello, There!
LL>I just got nansi.sys, zansi.sys, and ansi.com in replacing
LL>the ansi.sys
LL>from msdos. I was trying to use 80x50 character screen on
LL>those files and
LL>none of them worked. Has anyone ever succeeded using 80x50
LL>char mode by
LL>using those files???
LL>I am using msdos 4.01, and with 4dos command interpretor.
I have gotten NNANSI to work.  The problem you are having is that you have
the older version of Nansi.  I have what is called NNANSI, it is a
modification to Nansi to support all screen sizes.  (even works with 132x44)
NNANSI30.ZIP is the file I found it in.  As for others, I haven't found any
that support weird screen sizes.  (with the exception of PowerKit II's ANSI
module... different story)  I am using Ms-Dos 3.30 and 4Dos 3.02a.

                                 Greg

--- QuickBBS 2.64 (Eval)
 * Origin: Bohemia BBS system (303)449-8946 (200:5000/301)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
For best results, reply via UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov10.061855.16490@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>,
leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim) writes:

>      Hello, There!
> I just got nansi.sys, zansi.sys, and ansi.com in replacing the ansi.sys
> from msdos. I was trying to use 80x50 character screen on those files and
> none of them worked. Has anyone ever succeeded using 80x50 char mode by
> using those files???

I know that NANSI does not work properly in 80x50 mode, which is why I switched
to ZANSI.  When I got ZANSI, in the ZIP file, there was a modified version
called ZANSIEGA.SYS that handles any number of screen lines (not just 25 or 50,
but any number, by checking the BIOS data area).  This is nice when using
programs like PC Magazine's FONTEDIT, which can create fonts that use strange
numbers of lines.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (11/15/90)

leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim) writes:

>	Hello, There!
>I just got nansi.sys, zansi.sys, and ansi.com in replacing the ansi.sys
>from msdos. I was trying to use 80x50 character screen on those files and
>none of them worked. Has anyone ever succeeded using 80x50 char mode by
>using those files???

>I am using msdos 4.01, and with 4dos command interpretor.

>Thanks in advance!!!

>--

I use ansi.com from PC magazine. This has 2 advantages:
1. It's a TSR so you can load, enable, disable or unload as needed,
2. It works with Desqview, because you have to load your ansi driver
   in the window.

A third advantage, perhaps, is that you can reserve a variable amount
of storage for the keyboard redefinition buffer. This can be 0 to
inhibit it (Desqview can be used instead).

Ansi.com is available from SIMTEL20 I beleive - look in the PCMAG or SCREEN
section perhaps? I couldn't find it for sure in my archive.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

r3jjs@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Jeremy J Starcher) (11/18/90)

I use ANSI.COM for all of my ansi needs.  For me, the biggest advantage
is that I also have the source code (so I can make it do some wierd things
and support my non-standard screen sizes (45x90))

If anyone needs the source (for MASM or A86), feel free to drop me a line.

I also have the source and binary for a program called ZENO.COM which speeds
up BIOS access.  Not as portable, doubt it wil work under deskview however,
for the standard DOS system, it can give upto 130% screen access.

--
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Jeremy J Starcher         !  No programmer programs in LOGO after reaching

Greg.Smith@bohemia.UUCP (Greg Smith) (11/18/90)

To: r3jjs@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Jeremy J Starcher)

JJ>I use ANSI.COM for all of my ansi needs.  For me, the
JJ>biggest advantage
JJ>is that I also have the source code (so I can make it do
JJ>some wierd things
JJ>and support my non-standard screen sizes (45x90))
NNANSI 3.0 also comes with source code for MASM.  I have run it with all of
the standard VGA screen sizes and it works perfectly.  Shouldn't any work if
it just uses the BIOS $0040:???? bytes which contain the screen size.

dilvish@anasaz.UUCP (Dilvish the Damned) (11/24/90)

In article <822@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> r3jjs@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Jeremy J Starcher) writes:
>I use ANSI.COM for all of my ansi needs.  For me, the biggest advantage
>is that I also have the source code (so I can make it do some wierd things
>and support my non-standard screen sizes (45x90))
>
>If anyone needs the source (for MASM or A86), feel free to drop me a line.
>
>I also have the source and binary for a program called ZENO.COM which speeds
>up BIOS access.  Not as portable, doubt it wil work under deskview however,
>for the standard DOS system, it can give upto 130% screen access.

If you would please mail me the sources, I would be grateful.  You can mail
them to me at:

{asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!dilvish

Thanks.

End extra space for mailer.