[comp.os.msdos.misc] alloca for TC 2.0 : Where and How ?

aboulene@cheddar.cs.wisc.edu (Nagi M. Aboulenein) (11/26/90)

I am trying to get the MS-DOS version of the parser generator
bison to work under Turbo C 2.0, but I need a routine called
alloca. Does anyone know where and how I can get a hold of
that routine ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nagi

Nagi M. Aboulenein	(email : aboulene@cs.wisc.edu)
CS Dept., UW-Madison

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (11/26/90)

In article <11798@spool.cs.wisc.edu> aboulene@cheddar.cs.wisc.edu (Nagi M. Aboulenein) writes:

>I am trying to get the MS-DOS version of the parser generator bison to work
>under Turbo C 2.0, but I need a routine called alloca. Does anyone know where
>and how I can get a hold of that routine ?

The function alloca is found in BSD Unix.  The BSD man page states it
allocates the specified number of bytes of space in the stack frame of the
caller, which is released upon exit.  Later on it gives the following warning:
"alloca is machine dependent, its use is discouraged."

No MS-DOS C compiler I am aware of supports alloca.  So, you have two choices:
roll your own version of alloca OR change the bison code to get its temporary
memory allocations another way.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications               OR apcihq!apcidfw!digi!kgallagh