[comp.os.msdos.misc] comp.os.msdos.misc

889042a@darwin.ntu.edu.au (11/19/90)

Re How to hide files:

You might also want to create a directory which cannot be traversed
without a fair bit of MS-DOS knowledge.

The trick is to use an extended-ascii character in the directory
name. The easiest way to enter extended-ascii from the keyboard
is via the ALT key.

	(i.e MD games[alt 255])

this will create what appears to be a "games" directory. But it cannot
be entered with a CD \GAMES command. Only CD\GAMES[alt 255] will work.

reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dick Reichenbach) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov19.170531.375@darwin.ntu.edu.au> 889042a@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>Re How to hide files:
>The trick is to use an extended-ascii character in the directory
>name. The easiest way to enter extended-ascii from the keyboard
>is via the ALT key.
>	(i.e MD games[alt 255])
                          ^^^
Or, for variety, use any number between 128 and 255.

Even if an odd character comes up, they still won't be able to figure out
which character it is on the keyboard (there isn't one on the keyboard)

--
  DDDDDD             k                | reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
  D     D  `   cccc  k  kk   (^8      | Dick C. Reichenbach

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) (11/23/90)

	I almost couldn't help laughing when I was reading a couple of postings
about how to fool their bosses by hiding files on PC. The tricks mentioned are
so primitive that they probably only work for real computer illiterates. The
"highest" technology I've read about so far is to change the file attribute.
A follow-up innovation is to hide the whole directory this way. One trick even
suggests using ASCII 128-255. The author patiently explained that extended
ASCII's can be entered by using Alt numeric pad. Sounds like a high school
computer interest group forum.

ssl@doe.carleton.ca (Stephen Lum) (11/24/90)

In article <11549@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:

>	I almost couldn't help laughing when I was reading a couple of postings
>about how to fool their bosses by hiding files on PC. The tricks mentioned are
>so primitive that they probably only work for real computer illiterates. The
>"highest" technology I've read about so far is to change the file attribute.
>A follow-up innovation is to hide the whole directory this way. One trick even
>suggests using ASCII 128-255. The author patiently explained that extended
>ASCII's can be entered by using Alt numeric pad. Sounds like a high school
>computer interest group forum.

Ok Mr. Albert "Computer Genius" Zhou where are your "high" technology
solutions?

deen@kinks.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (11/24/90)

In article <11549@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:

>>	I almost couldn't help laughing when I was reading a couple of postings
>>
>>		[ A lot of non-sensical stuff deleted ]

>Ok Mr. Albert "Computer Genius" Zhou where are your "high" technology
>solutions?

	I too would like to hear any solutions that Mr. Zhou has to
	offer.  Maybe then we can stuff the whole discussion  into
	a monthly posting and be done with it.

					...LATER...

					-Z Raisin
--
---
"May The Prezent Tenz Be With You."

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/25/90)

In article <11549@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:
$	I almost couldn't help laughing when I was reading a couple of postings
$about how to fool their bosses by hiding files on PC. The tricks mentioned are
$so primitive that they probably only work for real computer illiterates. The

   As a computer consultant, my experience is that the vast majority of people
in the working world are not very computer literate, and often managers are
the least literate of all.  Most of the tricks mentioned here would probably
fool 95% of computer users.

   Oh, and Albert, if all you feel like doing is making a nuisance of yourself,
go to alt.flame; there'll be plenty there to keep you occupied.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) |----------------------------------| searching

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (11/26/90)

I think the point is that any technique that was entered online here
would immediately become useless.

The techniques mentioned (hidden bit, funny chars) will fool most
bosses, because most bosses are pretty dumb.

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David "Quasar" Bianco) (11/27/90)

In article <valley.659573137@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:

   I think the point is that any technique that was entered online here
   would immediately become useless.

   The techniques mentioned (hidden bit, funny chars) will fool most
   bosses, because most bosses are pretty dumb.

Not only that, but with programs like
4Dos becoming increasingly popular, you
really dont restrict access if you have
the funny chars in the middle or end.
4Dos's command completion handles them
fine. I've been using these methods for
a while. I had to move all the funny chars
to the beginning of the file name, and even
then its not 100% effective....Now, setting
the hidden attribute is better...