[comp.os.msdos.misc] How can I load bitmaps in MS Windows?

tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) (11/28/90)

I am intersted in finding out how to load bitmaps such as .gif or .bmp
files onto the root window of MS Windows.  In the latest issue of Byte, a
program called GIF2BMP is mentioned which converts a gif file to a bmp
file, but I don't know where it is located...

Can someone lead me to an anonymous FTP site (I checked Simtel and uunet)

Thanks,
	Devon

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (11/28/90)

In article <8010@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:

>program called GIF2BMP is mentioned which converts a gif file to a bmp
>file, but I don't know where it is located...
>
>Can someone lead me to an anonymous FTP site (I checked Simtel and uunet)

It is at Simtel.   Look in <MSDOS.WINDOWS3>  for GIF2BMP.ZIP.

Now, if I could only find BMP2GIF, I'd be happy!!  (I decided windows is a
kludge, but I had made a really nice bmp and I don't want to have to re-install
windows just to use paintbrush to change it to pcx so I could change that to
gif.  Yes, I have to re-install all of windows.  The files are stored compressed
on disk and the install program is the only way i've found to uncompress them).

Now that I think about it, hitting printscreen in windows creates a .bmp file.
You might try a gif viewer in full screen and try that.  I can't remember if
it saves the colors when it goes into the clipboard or not....

Ooopps... just checked my manual.  It's  alt-printscreen to create a .bmp file.

Hope this helps,
Mike
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) (11/28/90)

Ok, call off the search, thanks much to all of you who replied. it seems
that the program wingif, and gif2bmp on cica.cica.indiana.edu will do
the job fine.

Thanks again,
	Devon