[comp.os.msdos.misc] Ramdrive larger than 4096K

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (11/29/90)

Hello there,

Does anyone know if Microsoft is ever planning to come out with a ramdrive.sys
that supports space larger than 4096K?  Some things just can't be spread
across two drives.  Does someone perhaps know of a ramdrive by another company
that would do that?

Thanks,

Tony
--Std.Disclaimer--

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (11/30/90)

> tporczyk@na.excelan.com writes:
> Hello there,
>
> Does anyone know if Microsoft is ever planning to come out with a
> ramdrive.sys
> that supports space larger than 4096K?  Some things just can't be spread
> across two drives.  Does someone perhaps know of a ramdrive by another
> company
> that would do that?

I use "Nifty James'" ramdisk utility. It supports X/EMS with lots of fun
switches (I believe there's an automatic 286/386 mode, plus the option of
having it "audible" and click when in use like a real drive) All together, it's
faster and more reliable than anything else I've tried.

Jordan.
Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
"We want the world and       UUCP: {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a516
 we want it now!" - The Doors     a516@mindlink.UUCP
"So what you're saying is a 11 voice adlib is better than a 32-track
  MT-32? Sounds logical to me." - Me.

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (12/02/90)

> jvj0852@rouge.usl.edu writes:
> In article <3996@mindlink.UUCP> a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) writes:
> >
> >I use "Nifty James'" ramdisk utility. It supports X/EMS with lots of fun
> >switches (I believe there's an automatic 286/386 mode, plus the option of
> >having it "audible" and click when in use like a real drive) All together,
> it's
> >faster and more reliable than anything else I've tried.
> >
> >Jordan.
>
> Where can this software be found?

Since I don't have FTP access, I can't upload it anywhere (and I'm not sure if
it is anywhere either, the filename is njramd.zip here). If anyone wants a
copy, especially someone who can put it somewhere more accessable, drop me a
note, and I'll send you copy.
(I didn't program it nor do I guarantee the effectiveness or usefullness of the
program)

leonard@qiclab.uucp (Leonard Erickson) (12/02/90)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

>Does anyone know if Microsoft is ever planning to come out with a ramdrive.sys
>that supports space larger than 4096K?  Some things just can't be spread
>across two drives.  Does someone perhaps know of a ramdrive by another company
>that would do that?

Not quite what you are looking for, but definitely of interest:

SemiDisk Systems in Beaverton, OR has dedicated RAMdrive cards
*with battery backup* in sizes up to 16 meg. And considering that
they are currently trying to find out how to solve some problems
with a driver for NetWare, I bet they'd *love* to talk to you!
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com

jvj0852@rouge.usl.edu (Joubert John V) (12/02/90)

news@j.cc.purdue.edu (Usenet news) (12/03/90)

From: zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou)

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (12/04/90)

>tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

>>Does anyone know if Microsoft is ever planning to come out with a ramdrive.sys
>>that supports space larger than 4096K?  Some things just can't be spread
>>across two drives.  Does someone perhaps know of a ramdrive by another company
>>that would do that?

386DISK.SYS (which works only with 386MAX.SYS) from Qualitas does.
Also, the VDISK.SYS that comes with Compaq DOS 3.31 does this (with, as
far as I can tell any version of DOS) and it also does EMM ram disks (As
far as I can tell, no other VDISK does)