[comp.os.msdos.misc] How to enter long command lines

steve_a@verifone.com (12/08/90)

I need a way of entering a very long command line from the DOS prompt.  I'm
running a list of input files to particular program through a batch file and my
list is being truncated.

Any Ideas?

Steve Anderson
VeriFone
steve_a@verifone.com

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/10/90)

steve_a@verifone.com writes:

> I need a way of entering a very long command line from the DOS prompt.  I'm
> running a list of input files to particular program through a batch file and
> list is being truncated.

Under 4dos, you can get 256 characters. Command.com allows 128 (as you
have found).  Beyond this, I think you're out of luck.

MKS Toolkit does a neat hack with appending command line args to the
environment, but your program would have to know they are there, and
your command interpreter would have to put them there.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}