[comp.os.msdos.misc] Minor 4dos gripe

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/05/90)

I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
the line.

A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
This allows the user to enter more characters to further identify it.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski,,,) (12/05/90)

From article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com>, by poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger):
> I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
> if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
> completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
> the line.

	My 4dos (3.01?) will give you a different file for each press of F9,
 	*but* if you move the cursor away from the filename (i.e. to the right)
	then bring the cursor back to the name, it won't find the next file.

Mark Komarinski - take yer pick - komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu
                                                .bitnet
"Nothing can stop him.  Not even common sense."
7 out of 10 people make up 70% of the population.

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

	On my 4DOS, all I have to do is keep hitting the file-complete
key until the file I meant shows up. 4DOS just cycles through all
possible files that are candidates as F9 is repeated.
	It's not UNIXish but it seems to work out nicely in most cases.

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX: (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (12/05/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

Not true!!! If you don't move the cursor, just can just press F9 again to
get the next match. If you are too enthusiastic, press F8 to back up.

>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
>This allows the user to enter more characters to further identify it.

Only in Cshell, which has so many bugs I despise it. Korn shell is almost
workable. You can almost get it to work like 4dos, which is FAR superior
to Unix. (I hate Unix. Sunview on a Sparc is almost livable with.)
Note: no smilies!

>Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
>1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
>San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (12/06/90)

In article <17817@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes...
>
>>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>>the line.

	[DELETIONS]

>What you say is true but you will find that if you press F9 again the next file
>matching the criteria you have entered will be shown.  You can cycle through as
>many files as you like but you can't go back.  If you find that the file you
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	[DELETIONS]

	PRESS F10 AND YOU CAN GO BACK.

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (12/06/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes...

>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.
>
>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
>This allows the user to enter more characters to further identify it.

What you say is true but you will find that if you press F9 again the next file
matching the criteria you have entered will be shown.  You can cycle through as
many files as you like but you can't go back.  If you find that the file you
really wanted was, let's say, the previous one then you will have to re-enter
the command.  I think this is probably better than the UNIX method you describe
because if you have 10 files with only the last letter different then you will
have to type the whole name.  With 4DOS you can type the first couple and press
F9 a few times to get the right file.  Try it you'll like it!

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!lrcsnl.enet!wales    |
|                                        |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 457-8734 (H)         |
|  mine only!                            |         (61) 2 561-7334 (W)         |

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.
>
>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
>This allows the user to enter more characters to further identify it.

I have gotten enough mail that continually hitting F9 cycles through all
choices. Please stop sending mail.

I will RTFM next time!!!

Thanks,

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must
>re-edit the line.

Not true. Just hit F9 again and it will replace the string with the next match.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/06/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

> I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
> if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
> completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-ed
> the line.

Ross, if the first file isn't the one you want, just hit F9 again, and
4dos will replace the current name with the next match. F10 will
continue placing matching names on the command line, and F8 backs up in
the list. (if one or more names has been selected, F8 and F9 move the
current-position filename through the list of matches)
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

belt@freyr.pttrnl.nl (Evert van de Belt) (12/06/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

This is not completely true. There is no need to reedit.
By pressing (F9) again, the next matching filename will appear.
This way, you can walk true the filenames by just pressing (F9).
The string typed only works as a filter.

>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
>This allows the user to enter more characters to further identify it.

I don't see that as a better behaviour. In the first place, you need to know
the next character. In the second place, you have to look for that character
on the keyboard (for the less fortunate typers, this is still tedious.)
In 4DOS, you only have to use the (F9) key. I like 4DOS better than UNIX.

Best wishes,
Evert van de Belt
E_vdBelt@pttrnl.nl

hcd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Hugh Davis) (12/06/90)

In <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

You dont have to re-edit.  Just press F9 again and it will match the
next file, and so on till you find the correct file.  I think I prefer
this to the unix version.
--
H.C.Davis@uk.ac.soton.ecs            Hugh Davis
Tel: +44 703 595000 X3669            Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

hollen@megatek (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

> I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
> if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
> completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want,
> you must re-edit the line.

Since I am not at home, I cannot look at the documentation, but the
way I use 4DOS completion is the following.

F9	pressed once, completes the first match
	pressed again, gets the next match.  keep pressing until the one
		you want is visible
F8	once you have a match, get the PREVIOUS match (if you go past
		what you really wanted, you can back up)
F10	once you have a match, leave that match, move over a space
		and put up the next match.  The cursor is left at
		the second field and F9, F8 can be used to walk
		through names for the second field.  each subsequent
		press of F10 will move over to the next field and
		start you all over again

--
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

cdavis@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Christopher L. Davis) (12/08/90)

In <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

Actually, just repress the <F9> key and it will complete the next filename
that matches your prefix input. If you don't specify any prefix then 4DOS
will rotate through all directory and file names available - then beep when
it comes to the end of all names.

--

Talk to you soon, Yours: Chris

---

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must re-edit
>the line.

I think you'll find that F9 shows the first match, then pressing F9
again will remove that and replace it with the second match.  Pressing it
again will show the third match etc.
If, instead, you press F10 after finding a match it will enter a SPACE and
then display the second match as a second parameter (not a good description)
 allowing you to find MATCH.OBJ MATCH.BAK (for example) but not MATCH.C and
MATCH.EXE by judicious use of these keys (maybe F9 F10 F9, depending on the
order they are stored in the directory).

>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.

I too prefer this method, but I suppose its because its the one I am more
used to :-)

>Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
>1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
>San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh
            What an idea!	    |        sweh%tharr.uucp@uk.co.bt.axion
Wanted: humour transplant           |        tharr!sweh@uk.ac.ukc
     <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (12/14/90)

In article <1492@tharr.UUCP>, sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) writes:
> In article <1990Dec4.213015.258@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ
> Poffenberger) writes:
>>I have a minor gripe with 4dos. The file completion feature is nice (F9), but
>>if more than one file matches the string you are trying to complete, it
>>completes to one of the files. If that isn't the one you want, you must
>>re-edit the line.
>>
>>A better behavior, like used on most UNIX shells with this feature, is to
>>complete up to the first non-common character and beep, or flash the screen.
>
> I too prefer this method, but I suppose its because its the one I am more
> used to :-)

PC Magazine's CMDEDIT utility will complete up to the first non-common
character when you press the Tab key.  I like it very much.
Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)