[comp.os.msdos.misc] File Protection In Ms-dos

briantr@sunnet.EBay.Sun.COM (Brian Tran) (11/16/90)

Hi there,

 We have a Wyse386 which are being shared by other users.

 Unfortunately, I have other private programs/data that I don't
 want other users to read or delete.

 How can I protect my directory in MS-DOS (mine is 3.3) ?

Thanks,
brian

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (11/19/90)

In article <3920@male.EBay.Sun.COM>, briantr@sunnet.EBay.Sun.COM (Brian Tran) writes:
> Hi there,
>
>  We have a Wyse386 which are being shared by other users.
>
>  Unfortunately, I have other private programs/data that I don't
>  want other users to read or delete.
>
>  How can I protect my directory in MS-DOS (mine is 3.3) ?

You can hide the directory or files.  You can write protect (i.e. read only)the
files (perhaps the directory as well).  You could encrypt the files.
Bitnet: gomme@uwovax.bitnet   gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca   Internet: gomme@uwo.ca

bkd3019@rouge.usl.edu (Dore Brian K) (11/20/90)

Probably the easiest way to hide something on a pc is to not hide it at all.

Just rename 'game.exe' to 'epson.drv' or something and keep it in a
subdirectory called 'install' under the directory for your favorite
software.  Just rename it when you want to play. And don't forget to
change it back when you're done.

If you need a nasty filename that nobody will look at, just take a look
at Wordperfect program/data files, or Microsoft language program/data
files.

Brian

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/20/90)

One can hide, but not write-protect, directories in MS/PC-DOS...
unless, one obtains a separate security program; or unless one uses
instead DR DOS 5.0, an MS-DOS clone.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

rudolf@curano.acadch.com (Rudolf Kuenzli) (11/28/90)

In article <3920@male.EBay.Sun.COM> briantr@sunnet.EBay.Sun.COM (Brian Tran) writes:
>Hi there,
>
> We have a Wyse386 which are being shared by other users.
>
> Unfortunately, I have other private programs/data that I don't
> want other users to read or delete.
>
> How can I protect my directory in MS-DOS (mine is 3.3) ?
>
>Thanks,
>brian

Try with 'Secret-Disk' from Lattice. It will take a part of your hard
disk partition (you will decide how much) and create a logical
partition. The whole partition will be encrypted that means empty tracks
too. If you have let's say a drive C: before, you will have
addtionnallyy a drive D:. You may turn on/off that disk as you like.
Turning on the disk means that you will have to enter the passsword you
did use for the encyption of the partition. There is a resident module
load from 'config.sys' when you boot the system. You may work on your
secret drive like on a normal drive.
I am using 'Secret Disk' for years now and don't have one complaint.

Rudolf

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric DeVolder) (11/30/90)

In article <6@curano.acadch.com> rudolf@curano.acadch.com (Rudolf Kuenzli) writes:
>In article <3920@male.EBay.Sun.COM> briantr@sunnet.EBay.Sun.COM (Brian Tran) writes:
>>Hi there,
>>
>> We have a Wyse386 which are being shared by other users.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have other private programs/data that I don't
>> want other users to read or delete.
>>
>> How can I protect my directory in MS-DOS (mine is 3.3) ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>brian
>
>Try with 'Secret-Disk' from Lattice. It will take a part of your hard
>disk partition (you will decide how much) and create a logical
>partition. The whole partition will be encrypted that means empty tracks
>too. If you have let's say a drive C: before, you will have
>addtionnallyy a drive D:. You may turn on/off that disk as you like.
>Turning on the disk means that you will have to enter the passsword you
>did use for the encyption of the partition. There is a resident module
>load from 'config.sys' when you boot the system. You may work on your
>secret drive like on a normal drive.
>I am using 'Secret Disk' for years now and don't have one complaint.
>
>Rudolf

I just wrote a program that will disable any drive.  So, for instance, if
you have a partition D: with your private info on it, you could simply run
this program and it will disable it.  This is not as drastic as altering	the FAT.  For more information, send me a note.

Eric DeVolder
devolder@ksuvm.ksu.edu

tjr@cbnewsc.att.com (thomas.j.roberts) (11/30/90)

From article <1990Nov29.184157.25548@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, by devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric DeVolder):
> In article <6@curano.acadch.com> rudolf@curano.acadch.com (Rudolf Kuenzli) writes:
>>In article <3920@male.EBay.Sun.COM> briantr@sunnet.EBay.Sun.COM (Brian Tran) writes:
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>> We have a Wyse386 which are being shared by other users.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I have other private programs/data that I don't
>>> want other users to read or delete.
>>>
>>> How can I protect my directory in MS-DOS (mine is 3.3) ?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>brian
>>
>>Try with 'Secret-Disk' from Lattice. It will take a part of your hard
>>disk partition (you will decide how much) and create a logical
>>partition. The whole partition will be encrypted that means empty tracks
>>too. If you have let's say a drive C: before, you will have
>>addtionnallyy a drive D:. You may turn on/off that disk as you like.
>>Turning on the disk means that you will have to enter the passsword you
>>did use for the encyption of the partition. There is a resident module
>>load from 'config.sys' when you boot the system. You may work on your
>>secret drive like on a normal drive.
>>I am using 'Secret Disk' for years now and don't have one complaint.
>>
>>Rudolf

BEWARE! If someone really wants your data, Secret-Disk can be broken
easily by a knowledgeable person (I evaluated it for possible use,
but abandoned it after I broke its protection in less than an hour).

Strong computer security is a difficult problem - the Department of Defense
Computer Security Center has levels of trust for computer systems, but
NO useful systems have been evaluated at the higher levels of trust
(B2 and up). In particular, PCs have special problems because of their
usual lack of physical security. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE STRONG COMPUTER
SECURITY WITHOUT EQUALLY STRONG PHYSICAL SECURITY. It may not be necessary
to lock up the entire PC, but some PHYSICAL device must be locked up
in order to obtain strong security. In this sense, Secret-Disk is
attempting the impossible, and predictably fails.

	For many users, programs such as Secret-Disk may be sufficient,
	for those of us interested in the theoretical aspects of computer
	security, and those interested in REAL security, such naive
	approaches are a joke. Beware, however, of approaches which
	seem to provide security, but in fact don't.

To repeat: ANY SECURITY SYSTEM WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL DEVICE
UNDER PHYSICAL PROTECTION CANNOT PROVIDE REAL SECURITY. The usual
approach is to use PCs with only removeable media, and to lock them
up when not in use, and to keep the (media-less) PC in a controlled
environment where nobody can change EPROMs or other hardware
without being observed. For many users, such efforts are not
warranted.

Tom Roberts
att!ihlpl!tjrob  TJROB@IHLPL.ATT.COM

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) (11/30/90)

>>> To repeat: ANY SECURITY SYSTEM WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL DEVICE
>>> UNDER PHYSICAL PROTECTION CANNOT PROVIDE REAL SECURITY.
>>> --- Tom Roberts
----------
How would you classify schemes such as DES or the public key encryption
schemes.  Surely, given enough time they can be decoded, and by such time
it is assumed that the data is no longer useful.  But, given enough time
one can also remove the physical device without damage to the data.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (12/05/90)

In article <51060001@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) writes:
<>>> To repeat: ANY SECURITY SYSTEM WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL DEVICE
<>>> UNDER PHYSICAL PROTECTION CANNOT PROVIDE REAL SECURITY.
<>>> --- Tom Roberts
<----------
<How would you classify schemes such as DES or the public key encryption
<schemes.  Surely, given enough time they can be decoded, and by such time
<it is assumed that the data is no longer useful.  But, given enough time
<one can also remove the physical device without damage to the data.

Err.. my understanding of the current DES is that it can actually be "broken"
very quickly on existing FAST computers, owned by say, the US gvt.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

cjwein@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Chris J. Wein) (12/05/90)

In article <5034@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>Err.. my understanding of the current DES is that it can actually be "broken"
>very quickly on existing FAST computers, owned by say, the US gvt.

Yup, DES just doesn't cut it any more.  In fact, new encryption algorithms
are sometimes measured in DES units where a single DES unit represents the
amount of computation time required to break DES (and the ratings are always
greater than 1!).  The newest algorithms are several orders of magnitude
more difficult to break than DES.
 Chris Wein                           | cjwein@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 Computer Graphics Lab, CS Dept.      | cjwein@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
 University of Waterloo               | (519) 888-4548

rtaylor@tron.UUCP (Randy Taylor) (12/16/90)

In article <5034@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <51060001@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) writes:
><>>> To repeat: ANY SECURITY SYSTEM WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL DEVICE
><>>> UNDER PHYSICAL PROTECTION CANNOT PROVIDE REAL SECURITY.
><>>> --- Tom Roberts
><----------
><How would you classify schemes such as DES or the public key encryption
><schemes.  Surely, given enough time they can be decoded, and by such time
><it is assumed that the data is no longer useful.  But, given enough time
><one can also remove the physical device without damage to the data.
>
>Err.. my understanding of the current DES is that it can actually be "broken"
>very quickly on existing FAST computers, owned by say, the US gvt.
>--
> ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
>| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |
>| MLORD@BNR.CA   Ottawa, Ontario | Personal views only.   |
>|________________________________|________________________|

Hi all !

There is a PC-employable algorithm for data encryption called MPJ.
I picked up info on this from CompuServe in the IBMSYS forum. There
is a Master's Thesis called THESIS.DOC and a ZIP file with a menu-driven
program that uses the MPJ routine on the file you specify.

MPJ goes beyond DES (apparently WAY BEYOND). The key is a series of 16
individual hex digits ranging from 00 to FF. According to the thesis, it
would take a string of supercomputers 10,000+ years to break the encoded
data. I did some rough calculations and figured that, with the available
number of keys and a computer running at 1 picosecond per key try, it
would take about 1 x 10^19 years to break the code ! :-()

The problems with MPJ (in my opinion) are :

1) Remembering the key. There are 256^16 of them, which is good, but each is
   16 digits wide, which is bad on the brain !

2) It is in the public domain which means the guys at the "Puzzle Palace",
   (just down the road from where I work) are busily working on cracking it,
   if they haven't already done so. DES was "tamed" somewhat by this same
   group so that they could get the encoded data no matter what and we
   couldn't (unless we had the key).

The thesis has the source code (in Turbo Pascal) included. I wish I could
remember the name of the author so I could properly credit him, but it
escapes me.

Randy Taylor
Westinghouse Electric Corp.
Electronic Systems Group

PS - Please e-mail comments or questions to the addresses listed below. I
     don't make it to this forum very often. Thanks :-) !

RT
--
rtaylor@sky00.bwi.wec.com  from an Internet site (preferred)
rtaylor@tron.bwi.wec.com   from an Internet site (alternate)

"...you know I have the greatest enthusiam for the mission." HAL 9000

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (12/20/90)

To: rtaylor@sky00.bwi.wec.com
To: rtaylor@tron.UUCP (Randy Taylor)

In a message to All <18 Dec 90 01:40> Randy Taylor wrote:

 RT> There is a PC-employable algorithm for data encryption called MPJ.
 RT> I picked up info on this from CompuServe in the IBMSYS forum. There
 RT> is a Master's Thesis called THESIS.DOC and a ZIP file with a menu-driven
 RT> program that uses the MPJ routine on the file you specify.

 RT> MPJ goes beyond DES (apparently WAY BEYOND). The key is a series of 16
 RT> individual hex digits ranging from 00 to FF. According to the thesis, it
 RT> would take a string of supercomputers 10,000+ years to break the encoded
 RT> data. I did some rough calculations and figured that, with the available
 RT> number of keys and a computer running at 1 picosecond per key try, it
 RT> would take about 1 x 10^19 years to break the code ! :-()

 RT> The problems with MPJ (in my opinion) are :

 RT> 1) Remembering the key. There are
 RT> 256^16 of them, which is good, but each is
 RT>   16 digits wide, which is bad on the brain !
Write down the code so that someone can come find it and forget about breaking it!  :-)

 RT> PS - Please e-mail comments or questions to the addresses listed below. I
 RT>     don't make it to this forum very often. Thanks :-) !
If you're getting this, I did it right...  I would like to find out about this MJP encryption, is it possible to send the thesis and pascal source through usenet here?

                                   Greg.Smith@bohemia.uucp
                                   Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org
                             Fido: Greg.Smith@1:104/120

--- XRS 4.00
 * Origin: Greg Makes His Point. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith