[comp.os.msdos.misc] Which Dos Version?

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/25/90)

Hello DOS-heads,

I want some advice about a DOS upgrade.  I currently run v3.21 on an xt
clone, but I'm getting a 386 with an 80Meg HD.  I have some hopes for
the soon-to-be-hoped-for version 5.01 :-), so I'm wondering whether I
can get away with v3.21 until it appears.  I can live with multiple
partitions on the disk; I may put on a Minix partition anyway.

On the other hand, if my Zenith release of v3.21 won't work with a
generic 386, should I go with v3.3 or v4.01?  The only 4.01 advantages
I know of are big-disk support and network support, neither of which
is important to me; but perhaps one will provide an easier conversion
to v5 when that shows up?

If it matters, I plan to run DesqView, so I want compatibility there...

So, what should I do until MSDOS v5.01 comes out?  Ride with v3.21, go to
v3.3, or go to v4.0?

thanks in advance.  If I get enough email answers I'll post a summary.

bob,mon.

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (12/31/90)

To: bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 Ra> On the other hand, if my Zenith release of v3.21 won't work with a
 Ra> generic 386, should I go with v3.3 or v4.01?  The only 4.01 advantages
 Ra> I know of are big-disk support and network support, neither of which
 Ra> is important to me; but perhaps one will provide an easier conversion
 Ra> to v5 when that shows up?
If you plan on using version 5.0, why not go ahead and get Dr-Dos 5.0.  I am running it on my 20Mhz 286 and it works great.  I highly recommend it.  If not, go with 4.01, as you won't have to re-partition the disk when 5.0 comes.

                                        Greg
--- XRS! 4.00
 * Origin: Reading this is pointless. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith