[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS DOS 5.0

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (01/02/91)

To: iqe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

In a message to All <02 Jan 91 13:19> Iqe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu wrote:

 Iq> Does anyone out there (perhaps someone
 Iq> who has seen or is using a beta ver)
 Iq> know (or have an idea of what we can expect:
 Iq>       How much of the precious 640K will DOS 5 take up?
If MS 5 is anything like Dr-Dos 5.0, it won't use nearly as much if you have high memory.  I have 611k free for dos programs.  Most of my TSR's and all of Dos is loaded high.
 Iq>       Can things be loaded into the 640K - 1M area with DOS 5?
See above!
 Iq>       Can part of the OS be loaded above 1M?
Yes.  It can. Freeing up even more memory.

 Iq>       Can part of the OS be loaded into EMS (code can be loaded into
 Iq>       EMS, cant it?)?
No, but It is good to have EMS for DesqView.

                         Greg
--- XRS! 4.00DV
 * Origin: Reading this is pointless. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith

iqe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/02/91)

Does anyone out there (perhaps someone who has seen or is using a beta ver)
know (or have an idea of what we can expect:

       How much of the precious 640K will DOS 5 take up?

       Can things be loaded into the 640K - 1M area with DOS 5?

       Can part of the OS be loaded above 1M?

       Can part of the OS be loaded into EMS (code can be loaded into
       EMS, cant it?)?

thanx.

               -Mic

cosheff@netmbx.UUCP (Charles Shefflette) (01/03/91)

iqe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Does anyone out there (perhaps someone who has seen or is using a beta ver)
>know (or have an idea of what we can expect:

>       How much of the precious 640K will DOS 5 take up?
Not a lot - from what I've seen of the beta version, about 30k, including
the interrupt vector area.

>       Can things be loaded into the 640K - 1M area with DOS 5?
Yes - but it's still better to use a memory manager such as QEMM.

>       Can part of the OS be loaded above 1M?
Yes - a command in the CONFIG.SYS file allows DOS to load itself into the
HMA provided either by QEMM (or another such manager) or HIMEM.SYS.

>       Can part of the OS be loaded into EMS (code can be loaded into
>       EMS, cant it?)?
See the previous answer, from what I've seen, the option is to use the HMA
or to have the OS in low memory.  (and yes, code can be loaded into EMS)

I've been looking at a beta version of 5.0 dated late 1990, for the most
part I'm quite impressed.  It still has a couple of slight bugs in it.  For
one thing Paradox 3.5 dies horribly when using DOS 5.0/QEMM5.1 (and worse with
QEMM5.0).  On the other hand, it works fine when used without QEMM... sigh...
Generally, however, anything that worked with DOS 4.0 and below seems to
work fine with DOS 5.0.  One thing that I noticed was that it is no longer
apparently necessary to load SHARE.EXE to support disk partitions which are
larger than 32MB!!  That in itself saves about 5KB of memory!

The new editor they are shipping with it isn't half bad, either, although
I was rather dismayed to find that you MUST HAVE Quick BASIC around to run
it (it's a .COM file which is interpreted by QB) - they include QB in the DOS
package, however.

Most of the commands now have built in (minimal in most cases) help which
is available by typing the command followed by a '/?'.

I'm not sure what else to say, I'm favorably impressed and will probably
migrate to it when it becomes available..

Chuck

Charles Shefflette, System Engineer                     cosheff@netmbx.UUCP
                                                       cosheff@bitcave.UUCP
Box 9086 USAFSB                        |  Off Switch?  WHAT Off Switch??? |
APO New York, NY  09742-4824           |===================================

cosheff@netmbx.UUCP (Charles Shefflette) (01/03/91)

I apologize if this got posted more than once, our News reader complains
sometimes and it seems necessary occasionally to post more than once
(with the results being duplicated posts now and then...)