[comp.os.msdos.misc] Symbolic Links

reichert@dino.ulowell.edu (Bastard) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan1.165121.10930@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>Hi,
>	Does anyone out there know how to create a symbolic link in
>dos?? Basicly what I want to do is have a directory name that is just an
>alias of the real directory on another drive...Is this possible? I know it
>is in unix with the ln command, but I desperately need it in dos.

The 'DOS-proper' method would be to use the 'join' command, but you'll dig
yourself some very big holes during backups, or any other recursive descent of
the directory tree(s).

From within a batch file, the use of an environment variable would probably be
expedient.

I've myself accomplished some nasty tricks by hand-chaining directory entries
together via a sector editor, but obviously, if you move things around, you
could lose the directory, or fatally corrupt the FAT tables.
bastard@dragon.cpe.ulowell.cpu			   Brian (you Bastard) Reichert

USnail: 85 Gershom Ave. #2
	Lowell, MA 01854		"Intel architecture: the left hand path"