[comp.os.msdos.misc] Dr-dos

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (07/20/90)

In article <1121@fang.dsto.oz> hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:
>I have been running DR-DOS V3.41 for several months and have been very pleased
>with it.  Sure, there are a few differences, but the only real problem has
>been its inability to work 100% with PC-NFS.

I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
"few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?

Just curious,

tim

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) (07/21/90)

In article <8502@ur-cc.UUCP> ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi)
writes:

   I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
   "few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?

I've never attempted to find any difference from a programmer's POV
for DR-DOS 4.0, but I was pleased with it both as a programmer and
as a user.  The command interpreter lies somewhere between COMMAND.COM
and 4DOS. I much prefer 4DOS, though.  The only problem I ever had with it
concerned disk swapping with Turbo C++ which I why I switched to MSDOS.
Since DR-DOS allows 512MB partitions if you have the space, it's disk
structure is inherently non-standard (or at least, not what 3.x uses.
I dont know about DOS 4.x, since I dont have it).  This gave TC++
some problems which caused it to lock up when trying to shell to disk.
However, many programs could function quite well with it. PC Tools 5.5
did a very good job with it, even the disk optimizer.

Some of its other interesting features include: password protection
of files and subdirs, online DOS help, comes with the GEM environment,
inludes LIM4.0 drivers, command line editing and history (up to 4K buffer),
full screen editor comes standard (its not much but its better than nothing!),
and, if you are a systems designer, it can operate from ROM.

hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) (07/21/90)

I have been running DR-DOS V3.41 for several months and have been very pleased
with it.  Sure, there are a few differences, but the only real problem has
been its inability to work 100% with PC-NFS.

Has anybody tried DR-DOS V5 yet? Any other comments?

Thanks

Howie

Howard Harvey                                 | I work at the speed of light
Aeronautical Research Laboratory              | But so does a snail!
Defence Science and Technology Organisation   +-----------------------------
Salisbury, South Australia                    | Phone: +61 8 259 6322
               Note correct Email address ==> | Email: hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (07/22/90)

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) writes:

] In article <1121@fang.dsto.oz> hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:
] >I have been running DR-DOS V3.41 for several months and have been very pleased
] >with it.  Sure, there are a few differences, but the only real problem has
] >been its inability to work 100% with PC-NFS.

] I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
] "few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?

Take most of the projected MSDOS 5 features (due out end of this year?)
and we already have them, now.  The only feature that I have heard about
is something called unformat (MSDOS5).

DRDOS has a very good installation/setup program that will allow
tailoring of your environment.  It will manage your [d]config.sys and
your autoexec.bat files automagically.  It has a nice way of handling
your special commands that it doesn't understand that only requires
you to modify your autoexec.bat file once.  All future setup changes
will be contained within it's bounded region.  Slick...;-}

Some of the features found in the [D]CONFIG.SYS processing are:
		EMM386).
	*	Prompting for the device driver to be loaded.
		eg: ABCD.SYS? (Y/N)
	*	Prompting with a message of your choice.
		eg: Do you want to load your ABCD driver? (Y/N)
	*	ECHO in CONFIG.SYS
		eg: ECHO Loading the ABCD driver.

Other features:
	*	There is a MEM command that attempts to display all
		interesting information about the current memory usage.
		(This is very good, but could have been better by
		detailing the EMS usage and presenting a map of memory
		above 1M).  (The graphic map belong doesn't translate
		very well to 7-bit ASCII.;-(

+- Address -+- Owner --+- Size -----------+- Type ----------------------------+
|    0:0000 | -------- |  A0000h,  655360 | ------------- RAM --------------- |
+-----------+----------+------------------+-----------------------------------+
|    0:0000 | -------- |    400h,    1024 | Interrupt vectors                 |
|   40:0000 | -------- |    100h,     256 | ROM BIOS data area                |
|   50:0000 |   DR DOS |    200h,     512 | DOS data area                     |
|   70:0000 |  DR BIOS |   18D0h,    6352 | Device drivers                    |
|   70:052F | PRN      |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0541 | LPT1     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0553 | LPT2     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0565 | LPT3     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0577 | AUX      |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0589 | COM1     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:059B | COM2     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:05AD | COM3     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:05BF | COM4     |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0659 | CLOCK$   |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:0695 | CON      |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|   70:06A7 |    A:-F: |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|  1FD:0000 |   DR DOS |   11B0h,    4528 | System                            |
|  1FD:0048 | NUL      |                  |  Built-in device driver           |
|  318:0000 |   DR DOS |   7A00h,   31232 | System                            |
|  34B:0000 | EMMXXXX0 |                  |  Loadable device driver           |
|  34D:0000 | CACHE$   |                  |  Loadable device driver           |
|  AB8:0000 |  COMMAND |   1330h,    4912 | Program                           |
|  BEB:0000 |  COMMAND |    BD0h,    3024 | Environment                       |
|  CA8:0000 | -------- |     F0h,     240 | FREE                              |
|  CB7:0000 |     MARK |    100h,     256 | Environment                       |
|  CC7:0000 |     MARK |    560h,    1376 | Program                           |
|  D1D:0000 |  HISTORY |    100h,     256 | Environment                       |
|  D2D:0000 |  HISTORY |   1DB0h,    7600 | Program                           |
|  F08:0000 |   KERMIT |    100h,     256 | Environment                       |
|  F18:0000 |   KERMIT |  18280h,   98944 | Program                           |
| 2740:0000 |   KERMIT |    FB0h,    4016 | Data                              |
| 283B:0000 |   KERMIT |   9610h,   38416 | Data                              |
| 319C:0000 |  COMMAND |    100h,     256 | Data                              |
| 31AC:0000 |  COMMAND |   1330h,    4912 | Program                           |
| 32DF:0000 |  COMMAND |    110h,     272 | Environment                       |
| 32F0:0000 |      MEM |    100h,     256 | Environment                       |
| 3300:0000 |      MEM |  12A10h,   76304 | Program                           |
| 45A1:0000 | -------- |  5A5E0h,  370144 | FREE                              |
+-----------+----------+------------------+-----------------------------------+
| C000:0000 | -------- |   8000h,   32768 | ------------- ROM --------------- |
| C800:0000 |      EMS |  10000h,   65536 | ---------- EMS memory ----------- |
| DE00:0000 | -------- |   8000h,   32768 | ---------- Upper RAM ------------ |
+-----------+----------+------------------+-----------------------------------+
| DE01:0000 | CON      |                  |  Loadable device driver           |
| DF01:0000 | PC$MOUSE |                  |  Loadable device driver           |
| E20D:0000 |   DR DOS |   2800h,   10240 |  20 Disk buffers                  |
+-----------+----------+------------------+-----------------------------------+
| F000:0000 | -------- |  10000h,   65536 | ------------- ROM --------------- |
+-----------+----------+------------------+-----------------------------------+

|     3<DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Conventional memory DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD>     |
|     0h   10000h  20000h  30000h  40000h  50000h  60000h  70000h          |
|     0K      64K    128K    192K    256K    320K    384K    448K          |
|     CDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDD     |
|     2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222     |
|     2222222222222222................1111                                 |
|     EDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDDDEDDDDDD      |
|    512K    576K    640K    704K    768K    832K    896K    960K     1MB  |
|  80000h  90000h  A0000h  B0000h  C0000h  D0000h  E0000h  F0000h 100000h  |
|     >DDDDDDDDDDDDDD>3<DDDDDDDDDDDDDD Upper memory DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD>3     |
Key:  2=RAM  1=ROM  0=Shadow ROM

      655,360 bytes, ( 640K), conventional memory
      446,432 bytes, ( 435K), largest available block

    3,145,728 bytes, (3072K), extended memory
    3,145,728 bytes, (3072K), extended memory used
            0 bytes, (   0K), extended memory available
	*	All commands (except built-ins) have a /H[elp] usage
		and this usage is aware of the current screen size.
		eg: MODE /Help generates:
MODE R1.22    Printer and screen mode utility
Copyright (c) 1988,1989 Digital Research Inc. All rights reserved.

MODE   /Help
    or LPT#:[n][,[m][,[P][,s]]]
    or LPT#:=COMn
    or mode[,lines]
    or [mode],m[,T]
    or CON: [LINES=lines] [COLS=cols] [RATE=r DELAY=d]
    or COM#:b[,p][,d][,s][,P]
    or device CODEPAGE options

     LPT#:n,m,P     Set-up printer
                        #=Printer port number
                        n=characters per line (80, 132)
                        m=lines per inch (6 or 8)
                        P=Continuous retry on timeout

     LPT#:=COMn     Redirect printer port # output to serial port n

     mode,lines     Set display mode 40 or BW40=40 columns no color (CGA)
                                     80 or BW80=80 columns     :
                                           CO40=40 columns color (CGA)
                                           CO80=80 columns     :
                                           MONO=80 columns (MDA)
                                     lines=number of text rows: 25, 43 or 50

     [mode],m[,T]   Set display mode, mode parameter as described above
                                     m=CGA display shift direction: L or R
                                     T=show test pattern

     CON: LINES = lines              lines=number of text rows: 25, 43 or 50

     CON: COLS = cols                cols=number of text columns: 40 or 80

     CON: RATE = r DELAY = d         r=keyboard typematic rate: 1..32
                                     d=keyboard typematic delay: 1..4

     COM#:b,p,d,s,P Set serial port #=serial port number
                                    b=baud rate - 110..19200
                                    p=parity    - Even, None or Odd
                                    d=data bits - 7 or 8
                                    s=stop bits - 1 or 2
                                    P=Continuous retry on timeout

     device CODEPAGE PREPARE=((cplist) [d:][path]filename[.ext])
           device      one of CON, PRN, LPT1, etc
           cplist      one or more of 437, 850, 860, 863, 865
           filename    specifies the file containing the character shapes

     device CODEPAGE SELECT=cp
           device      one of CON, PRN, LPT1, etc
           cp          one of 437, 850, 860, 863, 865

     device CODEPAGE REFRESH
           device      one of CON, PRN, LPT1, etc

     device CODEPAGE /STATUS
           device      one of CON, PRN, LPT1, etc
I could go on, but I think that this is enough of an advertisement.

Re:DRDOS v5 and PC-NFS.  Just before v5 was released, there was a
great improvement in the support of communications/networking
programs.  You might give PC-NFS a try again with DR-DOS v5 and see
how it fairs.

--
John "Frotz" Fa'atuai	frotz%drivax@uunet.uu.net	(email@domain)
Digital Research, Inc.	{uunet|amdahl}!drivax!frotz	(bang!email)

davidsen@antarctica.crd.GE.COM (william E Davidsen) (07/24/90)

In article <1129@fang.dsto.oz>, hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:

|> The SID86 debugger is supplied.  I consider this to be a much better
low level
|> debugger than DEBUG.  It has PASS points which are ideal for
debugging code
|> which may branch or pass through a particular point many times.  Sure, it is
|> not a replacement for debuggers like CODEVIEW, but you don't need to be an
|> expert in SID86 before you use it!

  I have to agree that when I used SID (CP/M-86 days) it was far better
than DEBUG. Never having used codeview with an assembly program, I can't
say if it is good, bad, or indifferent. It's nice for C code, and I
haven't written any assembler in years.

  Nor do I intend to.
--
Bill Davidsen (davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com, uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
  GE Corp R&D Center, Schenectady NY

hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) (07/25/90)

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) writes:

>In article <1121@fang.dsto.oz> hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:
>>I have been running DR-DOS V3.41 for several months and have been very pleased
>>with it.  Sure, there are a few differences, but the only real problem has
>>been its inability to work 100% with PC-NFS.

>I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
>"few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?

>Just curious,

>tim

I have had two computers running CR-DOS V3.41 since February.  I was originally
attracted to it because:
(1)	It was a cheap upgrade from MD-DOS V2.11  It cost only A$70 per copy
(2)	It was upgradable without the hassles of going back to the supplier
(3)	It provided >32Mb capability without having to be saddled with MS-DOS
	version 4.0
(4)	It provided password protection

I wrote a 4 page review for our local computer club (South Australian Micro-
processor Group) and could put it on this board if interest is shown.  That
article goes through my experiences in installation, operation and evaluation.
Briefly, in comparison to MS-DOS:

It runs about 12% slower than MS-DOS V3.3
It will NOT run all networking packages.  It is only "guaranteed" (if that is
the right word) to run with Novell.  I was told that this is because Novell
represents 80% of the total PC networking environment, so Digital Research
concentrated on that package first.  I believe that this problem has been
fixed in V5.0
DR-DOS takes longer to load at boot time
Doing DEL *.* seems to take forever.  This is because each file has to be
checked for protection violation before deletion.
When working down in a protected subdirectory, running a program which is in
one of the PATH subdirectories makes you have to re-enter the password.  The
cure for that is to specify the path with the program name, or to use a
global password.

	They are the bad points - now the good ones

It takes less room (about 20K) than MS-DOS V3.31 and although it signs itself
on as DR-DOS V3.41 at boot time, it identifies as DOS V3.31 with INT 21H/30h
It handles partitions up to 512Mb
It provides password protection of files to 3 levels (delete,write+delete or
read+write+delete) and subdirectory protection.  Passwords are appended to
files or directories by using the format "filename;password" or may be prompted
at the command line.  There is no global protection right up to the root
directory, but that has been included in the V5.0 release.
I have not detected any other problems with running programs.
The SID86 debugger is supplied.  I consider this to be a much better low level
debugger than DEBUG.  It has PASS points which are ideal for debugging code
which may branch or pass through a particular point many times.  Sure, it is
not a replacement for debuggers like CODEVIEW, but you don't need to be an
expert in SID86 before you use it!
Installation is a breeze - just follow the questions in the installation
program.
EDLIN is gone!!!!! A Word* non-document mode full screen type editor is
provided with the package.
etc., etc. ...

There are 4 of us in our club running DR-DOS V3.41 and we are now awaiting the
arrival of DR-DOS V5.0 - due in about 3 weeks here in OZ.
V5.0 can put its OS up in extended/expanded RAM, giving a TPA of about 620K.
It provides a shell a la MS-DOS V4 and gives root directory password protection
as well.  It also includes a file download program for transfers.

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) writes:

>Since DR-DOS allows 512MB partitions if you have the space, it's disk
>structure is inherently non-standard (or at least, not what 3.x uses.
>I dont know about DOS 4.x, since I dont have it).  This gave TC++
> etc.....

DR-DOS V3.41 is very similar to Compaq DOS V3.31, which was one of the first
MS-DOS variants to introduce >32Mb partitions.  In fact it identifies itself
as DOS V3.31 when you do an INT 21H/fn 30H.  Also, it will play havoc with
any program that doesn't know how to handle the larger partitions.  That is
why programs like NORTONs had to be re-released for Compaq DOS and MS-DOS
V4.0

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/26/90)

In article <10223@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1129@fang.dsto.oz>, hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:
>|> The SID86 debugger is supplied.  I consider this to be a much better
>low level
>|> debugger than DEBUG.  It has PASS points which are ideal for debugging code
>  I have to agree that when I used SID (CP/M-86 days) it was far better
>than DEBUG.

I used SID for CP/M-80. There is an "equivalent" MS-DOS program, symdeb,
which came with the Microsoft Assembler before Codeview made its appearance.
It was symbolic and had pass points just like SID.

There are many cases where symdeb is superior to codeview or turbo debug
(smaller, ability to ctty, oriented towards assembler code) and I use it
far more often than the other debuggers, although I no longer use the
Microsoft Assembler.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

marking@drivax.UUCP (M.Marking) (07/29/90)

hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:

) ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) writes:

) >I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
) >"few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?

First, a disclaimer. I work for Digital Research (Japan), Inc., whose
parent company sells DR-DOS. My job doesn't involve DOS, except as a
tool or as something to connect a network to. These views are
unofficial, and not necessarily those of DRI, and all the usual...

The recently-release DR-DOS 5.0 is quite different from the old version
3.41 as far as I can tell. I didn't use 3.41 much, since it was not
compatible with some obscure stuff in my MKS tools, but the problems
have been solved with 5.0. Now I'm hooked, and it is my system of
choice. The comments that follow relate to 5.0.

I am omitting features I haven't used or problems I don't know about
directly.

) Briefly, in comparison to MS-DOS:

) It runs about 12% slower than MS-DOS V3.3

5.0 is has faster file i/o. I can't speak for the rest.
It comes with an (optional) disk cache.

) It will NOT run all networking packages.  It is only "guaranteed" (if that is
) the right word) to run with Novell.  I was told that this is because Novell
) represents 80% of the total PC networking environment, so Digital Research
) concentrated on that package first.  I believe that this problem has been
) fixed in V5.0

Yes, at the time of release, it ran all of the networks except for Lantastic,
and a fix for Lantastic was (we were told) imminent. It also runs Windows 3.0.

) DR-DOS takes longer to load at boot time

It seems to load faster than MS-DOS 3.3.

) It takes less room (about 20K) than MS-DOS V3.31 and although it signs itself
) on as DR-DOS V3.41 at boot time, it identifies as DOS V3.31 with INT 21H/30h
) It handles partitions up to 512Mb

Enhanced with a vengeance. We have systems running in 20K of the 640K
available, with the rest loaded into extended memory. Yes, CHKDSK shows
620K available. It will also look for available memory between 640K and
1MB+64K, and attempt to load the kernel there. Even the network drivers
will load into high memory.

) Installation is a breeze - just follow the questions in the installation
) program.

Installation is improved in 5.0.

) V5.0 can put its OS up in extended/expanded RAM, giving a TPA of about 620K.

As above. This means almost all of the OS, including TSRs, buffers, drivers,
and a lot of the kernel.

) It provides a shell a la MS-DOS V4 and gives root directory password protection
) as well.  It also includes a file download program for transfers.

The (optional) graphical shell looks kind of like GEM or Macintosh or
whatever. It is IBM CUA compatible. The transfer program is a bit like
a LapLink subset, but serial only.

Most commands have "help" switches, so if you don't remember what option
is used to format, say, a 360K disk on a 1.2 meg drive, it will tell you.

It remembers a "command history" that extends the usual Fn3 key. You can
step through previous commands (up to a user-specified limit, depending on
how much buffer you want to use for that purpose) and edit them.

It can also execute out of ROM. (This is not to be confused with the ability
to be put into ROM and copied to RAM on powerup.)

It has a power monitor feature that monitors activity and shuts down
system components when not in use. We put this into laptops to save
battery usage. It is OEM configurable, so I'm not sure that it comes
with the standard retail release.

It seems to be very portable. I have installed it out of the box on a
variety of strange Japanese machines and it seems to work OK.

ganter@urz.unibas.ch (08/05/90)

In article <8502@ur-cc.UUCP>, ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) writes:
> In article <1121@fang.dsto.oz> hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG) writes:
>>I have been running DR-DOS V3.41 for several months and have been very pleased
>>with it.  Sure, there are a few differences, but the only real problem has
>>been its inability to work 100% with PC-NFS.
>
> I've heard of Dr-DOS, but never actually seen anybody run it. What are the
> "few differences?" Is it better/faster/smaller than MS-DOS?
>
> Just curious,
>
> tim

DR-DOS is a 100% compatible OS to MS/PC-DOS (see above ...). It has some new
featuers as password locking for files and directories, partitions >32M,
help on commands (except of internal commands of course), command history
and so on.
But first You waste hours and hours to install it, until you accidentally boot
the system with the DR-DOS diskette inserted (it works !!).
Ok. I have compared it with 4dos, a shareware MS/PC-DOS shell.
- First, if you boot with a MS/PC-DOS diskette later, all hard work installing
passwords is useless (destroy Your floppy-drive, then it might work).
- If you need partitions >32M use DOS 4.xx and 4dos as the shell (not the
wonderfull (aaaaarghhh !) graphic shell).
- 4dos has command history too, and help is made with a interactive, mouse
driven help utility (expandable).
- And, 4dos can be swapped to EMS/XMS, RAM-Disk or normal disk, when running a
program, then only using about 4K of RAM !
- 4dos has a huge manual, DR-DOS -- I stop now, it's better.

Use 4dos and enjoy life

(available on some ftp sites, or if you don't succeed, e-mail to me and I send
it to You)

Robert

jwas@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug5.015536.859@urz.unibas.ch> ganter@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>DR-DOS is a 100% compatible OS to MS/PC-DOS (see above ...).

I use DR-DOS (i.e. Digital Research DOS), am happy with its features, but
do not think the above statement is true.

The OS Systems mentioned are not 100% compatible.  There apparently are
differences in the way they do I/O to floppies.  When DR-DOS 3.41 and
installing paradox 3.0, the installation procedure would only grab the first
file on each floppy (there were 17 floppies), rather than copying all the
files that it needed.  According to Paradox support, they had seen problems
before with DR-DOS.

They recommended to install onto another MS-DOS system, then manually copy
the configured paradox to Dr-DOS.  I did, and it worked.

Since then I have occsionally had other problems reading from floppies.

Perhaps someone else knows exectly what was going on here.  Please post
to the net since many people are probably interested.

--
Joe Wasik - PacBell, 2600 Camino Ramon, 4e750, San Ramon, CA 94583  415-823-2422
jwas@PacBell.COM or {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!jwas

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/08/91)

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) <44.27804924@bohemia.metronet.org> :

| If you plan on using version 5.0, why not go ahead and get Dr-Dos 5.0.  I am running it on my 20Mhz 286 and it works great.  I highly recommend it.  If not, go with 4.01, as you won't have to re-partition the disk when 5.0 comes.

Hmmm... any (pointers to) information about or descriptions of Dr-Dos?
I've never heard of the product.

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (01/10/91)

In a message to All <08 Jan 91 00:50> Ramontante wrote:

 Ra> From: bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante)

 Ra> | If you plan on using version 5.0, why not go ahead and get
 Ra> | Dr-Dos 5.0.  I am running it on my 20Mhz 286 and it works great.
 Ra> | I highly recommend it.  If not, go with 4.01, as you won't have
 Ra> | to re-partition the disk when 5.0 comes.

 Ra> Hmmm... any (pointers to) information about or descriptions of Dr-Dos?
 Ra> I've never heard of the product.

It is put out by Digital Reasearch Inc.  It is a os as is Ms or PC dos, and is fully compatible in every way I can think of.  It has many more commands than Dos 3.3 or 4.01.  It even lets you load 90% of it in high memory plus loading TSR's there.  Look in your favorite software store, they're sure to know about it.  I have 609k free for my programs and could have 620k free if that sounds good... :)

                                   Greg
--- XRS! 4.00DV
 * Origin: Reading this is pointless. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith