[comp.os.msdos.misc] Seagate 4051 Questions

pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Mark Pfeifer) (01/01/91)

Happy New Year, everyone!

I don't know if this is exactly the rightplace to ask this, but...

A friend just gave me a Seagate ST-4051 full height 40Mb disk (it wouldn't
work RLL, so I got it).  He just gave it to me bare.  Does anyone have any
technical info on this drive?  I'd like to know the meaning of each of the
jumpers most of all.  I moved a few around and got it to work, but I'd like
some more information.

While I'm at it, one more question.  I have a Seagate ST-225 drive that is
also installed in the system (now as the second hard disk, D:).  I have a
tower case, and had the 225 directly above the 4051 - and started getting
read errors on the 225.  I moved the 225 three slots higher, and have not
experienced the problem again.  Is it possible for adjacent hard disks to
interfere with each other (magneticly)?

Thanks for any help.

							Mark

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (01/06/91)

In article <15330001@hpavla.avo.hp.com> pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Mark Pfeifer) writes:
>A friend just gave me a Seagate ST-4051 full height 40Mb disk (it wouldn't
>work RLL, so I got it).  He just gave it to me bare.  Does anyone have any
>technical info on this drive?  I'd like to know the meaning of each of the
>jumpers most of all.  I moved a few around and got it to work, but I'd like
>some more information.

Mark,
  You might give the Seagate Tech Support BBS a call at 1-800-468-3472.  I
saw this number posted to the net a few months ago.

>While I'm at it, one more question.  I have a Seagate ST-225 drive that is
>also installed in the system (now as the second hard disk, D:).  I have a
>tower case, and had the 225 directly above the 4051 - and started getting
>read errors on the 225.  I moved the 225 three slots higher, and have not
>experienced the problem again.  Is it possible for adjacent hard disks to
>interfere with each other (magneticly)?

I had the exact same problem with two ST238s.  With one mounted directly above
the other, it would have all kinds of problems.  Then again, it may be that
there is no metal plate separating the two drives - there are just holes for
mounting the drives on the sides of the supports.  I was successful in
mounting them side by side.  My guess is that there is probably some sort of
magnetic inteference(?).

Cheers!
  -- Doug

Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>  * My humble opinions and
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>        * ideas are just that.
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

kraus@motcid (David Kraus) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan5.215411.14174@SanDiego.NCR.COM>, dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) writes:

> In article <15330001@hpavla.avo.hp.com> pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Mark Pfeifer) writes:

>>While I'm at it, one more question.  I have a Seagate ST-225 drive that is
>>also installed in the system (now as the second hard disk, D:).  I have a
>>tower case, and had the 225 directly above the 4051 - and started getting
>>read errors on the 225.  I moved the 225 three slots higher, and have not
>>experienced the problem again.  Is it possible for adjacent hard disks to
>>interfere with each other (magneticly)?

> I had the exact same problem with two ST238s.  With one mounted directly above
> the other, it would have all kinds of problems.  Then again, it may be that
> there is no metal plate separating the two drives - there are just holes for
> mounting the drives on the sides of the supports.  I was successful in
> mounting them side by side.  My guess is that there is probably some sort of
> magnetic inteference(?).

I had two ST238s running one above the other for about 2 years.  I
initially experienced the same thing - D drive (the upper of the 2) would
get REAL flakey after being run a little while.  Hung a muffin fan in front
of the 2 drives (blowing through the faceplates no less) and had no
problems afterward.  So, it looks to be a heat problem with the ST225/ST238
design.

Now I'm running them to a separate case with their own power supply and
6-foot long controller cables....
--
Dave Kraus                                         UUCP: ...!uunet!motcid!kraus
Motorola Cellular Infrastructure Division          FidoNet: 1:115/934.5