[comp.os.msdos.misc] ASC II Zip files

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.091717@magic.Berkeley.EDU> yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 713-283-4051) writes:
>Dumb question.  What zip program is needed to unpack one of the ASC II
>Zip files
>that I see in this Newsgroup? Or does the standard PKUNZIP program
>support this?

What you're probably seeing is a UUENCODED ZIP file.  The UUencode program
translates binary files to ASCII files for ease/success of transmission.
You need to get UUDECODE from a local site or one of the various ftp sites.
After UUDECODEing the ASCII file, you will end up with the ZIP (or whatever)
file.
Cheers!
  -- Doug

Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>  * My humble opinions and
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>        * ideas are just that.
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan8.091717@magic.Berkeley.EDU> yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 713-283-4051) writes:
>Dumb question.  What zip program is needed to unpack one of the ASC II
>Zip files
>that I see in this Newsgroup? Or does the standard PKUNZIP program
>support this?

I think you mean Asc ][, right?  Well, you need the UU incode program.
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.021142.21863@ddsw1.MCS.COM> whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan8.091717@magic.Berkeley.EDU> yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 713-283-4051) writes:
>>Dumb question.  What zip program is needed to unpack one of the ASC II
>>
>I think you mean Asc ][, right?  Well, you need the UU incode program.
>--

No, no, no!  ASCII - American Standard Code for Information Interchange.

Part ][:  The file M. Yow is inquiring about was uuencoded for
transmission.  This is a process that converts binary (executable) files
to ASCII so they can be sent through netmail.  To use the file, you must
use another program, uudecode, to convert it back to binary form.

Check out the starter kit for comp.binaries.ibm.pc for a complete
explanation and copies of the necessary programs.

Sheesh!  whos this guy passing out misinformation! ;-)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */