[comp.os.msdos.misc] DOS 5.0 & 4DOS3.02a

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (01/12/91)

To: santeew@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu

 JW> I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that 4DOS3.02a is in strong
 JW> disagreement with MS-DOS 5.0 (beta-copies).  I'd like to know if
 JW> anyone out there who has both (beta) MS-DOS 5.0 and 4DOS can elaborate    JW> on any possible problems they have encountered with inconpatibilities.
 JW> How about with Dr.Dos 5.0?

I run 4dos 3.02a with Dr-Dos 5.0, and all is well.  I have a miniscule amount of memory more than the dr command processor.  (616k free).  I highly recommend the dr-dos package, it is the best dos os I have ever used.  And 4dos makes it 10 times better.  No incompatibilities have been found, and none should...

                                        Greg

--- XRS! 4.00DV
 * Origin: Reading this is pointless. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (01/14/91)

>I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that 4DOS3.02a is in strong
>disagreement with MS-DOS 5.0 (beta-copies).  I'd like to know if
>anyone out there who has both (beta) MS-DOS 5.0 and 4DOS can elaborate on
>any possible problems they have encountered with inconpatibilities.
>How about with Dr.Dos 5.0?

I think it is for the benefit of the net, so that rumors such as this can be
substantiated before they get out of hand.

4DOS 3.02a (and its successor-in-beta-test 4DOS 4.0) work PERFECTLY fine with
MS-DOS 5.0 beta copies.  I am running both programs and I'd swear they're made
for each other.  Sure, DOS 5.0, when released, will be, IMNSHO, be the cat's
meow, but it still doesn't have (nor should we ever expect) the great wealth
of features that 4DOS has.

As for DR-DOS 5.0, it will work with DR-DOS 5.0, but they don't get along as
well.  I don't have any specific information as what is wrong between the two,
but I do know "something" exists between the two that one or the other doesn't
like very much.

 Eric Thav        Editor/Publisher, Eric Thav's South Florida BBS List
   GEnie: E.THAV      PC Link: EricThav     INTERNET: eric@acc.fau.edu
 PRODIGY: NMVG80A      FAUVAX: eric           BITNET: eric@fauvax

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (01/15/91)

In a message to All <13 Jan 91 22:34> Eric Thav wrote:

 ET> 4DOS 3.02a (and its
 ET> successor-in-beta-test 4DOS 4.0) work PERFECTLY fine with
Ooo.  I can't wait for 4.00!

 ET> As for DR-DOS 5.0, it will work with
 ET> DR-DOS 5.0, but they don't get along as
 ET> well.  I don't have any specific
 ET> information as what is wrong between the two,
 ET> but I do know "something" exists between
 ET> the two that one or the other doesn't
 ET> like very much.
It gets along better than it did with Ms-Dos 3.30 now that I'm using Dr-Dos 5.0.  Any ideas as to what someone think is wrong? (anyone?)

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (01/16/91)

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) writes:

>To: santeew@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu

> JW> I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that 4DOS3.02a is in strong
> JW> disagreement with MS-DOS 5.0 (beta-copies).  I'd like to know if
> JW> anyone out there who has both (beta) MS-DOS 5.0 and 4DOS can elaborate    JW> on any possible problems they have encountered with inconpatibilities.
> JW> How about with Dr.Dos 5.0?

>I run 4dos 3.02a with Dr-Dos 5.0, and all is well.  I have a miniscule amount of memory more than the dr command processor.  (616k free).  I highly recommend the dr-dos package, it is the best dos os I have ever used.  And 4dos makes it 10 times better.  No incompatibilities have been found, and none should...

  and I'm running MS-DOS 5.0 with 4DOS 3.02a with no problems whatsoever,
asside from the fact 4DOS will no longer accept ( 'del .' ) >sigh<.

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |         "nobody knows."

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan12.023802.11205@cs.uoregon.edu>
santeew@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (John Wes Santee) writes:

>I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that 4DOS3.02a is in strong
>disagreement with MS-DOS 5.0 (beta-copies).  I'd like to know if
>anyone out there who has both (beta) MS-DOS 5.0 and 4DOS can elaborate on
>any possible problems they have encountered with inconpatibilities.

J. P. Software has been beta-testing DOS 5.0 for months.  According to
Tom Rawson there, last I spoke with him, there were no major conflicts.
This was some months ago, though.

>How about with Dr.Dos 5.0?

Don't know, and am also interested.  Anyone out there tested 4DOS with
Dr. DOS 5.0?

>If there are conflicts do you know if there is another version of 4DOS
>pending release with DOS5?

There is another version of 4DOS due out in a couple of months.  I don't
think it's particularly geared to DOS 5.0, but it stands to reason it would
probably work with it.

Catherine Hampton
Internet:  ariel@seer.mystic.com                       GEnie:  C.HAMPTON3
           hampton@reed.edu                               CIS: 71601,3130