[comp.os.msdos.misc] UNIX, PC's and NeXT's ..

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (01/25/91)

Hi.

First of all, please don't flame me if this is the wrong group to post
this to.  I'm not sure where I should ask these questions.  And if
this is the wrong group, please just ignore this message.

I'm interested in getting a PC implementation of UNIX, but would like
to ask those of you who are running unix on your pc's some questions.

Please email directly to me, as I don't want to start flaming wars.  I
will summarize and post the responses to the net after they stop
coming in.

My email address is:	peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

1)	What are the different implementations of UNIX out there for
	the PC?  Can you give me the company that wrote it and its
	address/telephonenumber/email etc.?  Approx. prices would be
	greatly	appreciated as well.

2)	Do all/most require at least a 386 (with exception of Coherent
	for the 286 machines)?  I would assume so.

3)	Those of you that have used pc unix implementations as well as
	the new NeXTstations.. how do they compare?  Benchmark-wise?
	Responsiveness-wise?  Application-wise?

4)	How are the implementations of X-Windows and the various
	Window Managers?  Is the Looking Glass really worth it?  Are
	the various x-windows implementations and window managers
	really slow?

5)	When does Mark Williams expect to have a 386 version of
	Coherent out?  Will it have X-Windows?  Will it be compatible
	with either BSD or System V?

6)	Which is better?  Dos Merge?  VP/ix?  other MS-DOS/PC
	emulations that run under the pc unix's?

7)	Is the performance of the particular implementation worth its
	cost?

8)	Those of you who have used PC unices and the new NeXTStep 2.0
	on the 040 machines .. which would you get?  A PC whether it
	be a 386 or 486 or would you get a NeXTstation?  Why?

9)	Should I wait for OSF/1 to come out for the PC world?  Should
	I wait until SCO and the other UNIX companies to settle on a
	binary standard?

10)	What problems have there beeen with UNIX and 486 based machine
	so far?  What motherboards do you guys recommend?  How about
	386 motherboards?

Anything else that you think would be helpful would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

PQ?
Pedro Quien?		peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu		Peter K. Wu

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.213926.18899@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:

   Hi.

   First of all, please don't flame me if this is the wrong group to post
   this to.  I'm not sure where I should ask these questions.  And if
   this is the wrong group, please just ignore this message.

Well, I think you hit about every newgroup you could.  I guess you are
using the same tactics that America is using in Iraq: bomb everthing.

From a NeXT user's point of view: Bag the 386 Unix machines, get a
be as fast as a Sparc Station 1+.  For $3500(educational), you get the
machine(Farfegnugen :-) -- spelled wrong, I know) and Unix.

-Mike

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/25/91)

Peter> First of all, please don't flame me if this is the wrong group to post
Peter> this to.  I'm not sure where I should ask these questions.  And if
Peter> this is the wrong group, please just ignore this message.

OK, no flame. And, not *the* wrong group -- simply far too many.

Anyway, by all means get a NeXT. It's complete, integrated, designed
to be a UNIX box, has *UNIX* applications, etc. No need to put things
together from 27 sources and wondering why it won't work.

As a bonus, it's cheaper than a 386 box and faster than 486 box. Also,
GNU tools and other free software has already been ported, etc, etc.

Just my opinion.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (01/26/91)

In article <$77Gx-=5@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>From a NeXT user's point of view: Bag the 386 Unix machines, get a
>be as fast as a Sparc Station 1+.  For $3500(educational), you get the
>machine(Farfegnugen :-) -- spelled wrong, I know) and Unix.
>
>-Mike

To continue the discussion about NeXT.  Does the NeXT support character that
have the 8th bit set?

(would it support Icelandic, where we *need* 10 extra lower case characters and
10 extra upper case characters in addition to the 'standard ASCII' (insert
evil grin here)
?)

I have heard that the NeXT doesn't support the 8th bit.  Is that true?

(and if that is true, then CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED
CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED
CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED
(a whole lot of cursing.  :-|

--
Internet:    einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and drag
UUCP:    ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs to the waste basket!!!!"

Surgeon Generals warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/27/91)

In article <2676@krafla.rhi.hi.is> einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) writes:

   To continue the discussion about NeXT.  Does the NeXT support character that
   have the 8th bit set?

   (would it support Icelandic, where we *need* 10 extra lower case characters and
   10 extra upper case characters in addition to the 'standard ASCII' (insert
   evil grin here)
   ?)

   I have heard that the NeXT doesn't support the 8th bit.  Is that true?

Version 2.0 of the operating system does, and it's shipping on all new
machines so it's not vaporware.

-Mike

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/28/91)

In article <BROWN.91Jan27140411@hydra2a.cs.utk.edu> brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:

   All the new machines are now shipping with a 3.5" disk drive also.  The 2.0
   OS will read all the common MS-DOS and Mac 3.5" disk formats on this drive
   as well as the Unix filesystems it can install.  It does all this
   automagically.  Just insert the disk and it determines the format and
   interfaces to it properly.

You have to buy 3rd party software to read/write Mac diskettes.  It
will read/write DOS disks right out of the box, though.

-Mike