[comp.os.msdos.misc] What Can I Do With Exp. Memory?

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) (01/29/91)

I recently upgraded from my speed demon XT compatible to
a '286 and it came with 1meg of ram already configured so
that 360k was in "expanded memory".
I know that "extended" memory is a good thing and many programs
are written to take advantage of this extra memory, but
what programs use expanded?
I can't put any TSR's up there, right?  So, I'm essencially doomed
to making it a ram-disk (which is nice for all those swap files
and such)
If I had another operating system (like say unix), could
it use this extra 360k?
Anybody got any suggestions on other uses for expanded memory?

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (01/30/91)

To: daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

In a message to All <29 Jan 91 04:09> David Ruby wrote:

 DR> a '286 and it came with 1meg of ram already configured so
 DR> that 360k was in "expanded memory".
 DR> I know that "extended" memory is a good thing and many programs
 DR> are written to take advantage of this extra memory, but
 DR> what programs use expanded?
Oops, a little mistake there.  exPANDed memory is the most commonly used extra memory, and can be found on an XT.  exTENDed memory is what your AT probably came configured to use it as.  If you have the C&T neat chipset, you can change the CMOS setup to configure it as exPanded with the proper driver, but otherwise, the only programs which really use it are Ram disks, disk caches, and protected mode programs.

 DR> I can't put any TSR's up there, right?  So, I'm essencially doomed
 DR> to making it a ram-disk (which is nice for all those swap files
 DR> and such)
with extended memory, the first 64k can be used for that, but it requires programs which can use it (QRAM, QEMM, HIDOS, 4DOS, QEXT(dv) ).

 DR> Anybody got any suggestions on other uses for expanded memory?
You mean extended.  You might look at the pc-tools EMS simulator which emulates EMS (exPanded memory) in your extended memory.  If indeed you do mean it is set as expanded, look around, tons of programs use it.

                              Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org
hope it helped.
--- XRS! 4.00DV
 * Origin: Reading this is pointless. (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith