[comp.os.msdos.misc] How do I remove lots of directories

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/24/91)

	I'm sure this is a trivial question, but a scientist here has a
PS/2 hooked up to some sort of lab instrument.  The instrument control
program creates, for each run, a directory called <bunch of numbers>.smp
and puts 4 files in it.  Naturally, after several hundred runs, his disk is
starting to get full and he wants to remove all of the old data.  Also,
naturally, he asked me how to do it, but being basically a Unix type I
couldn't figure out what to do.  Can somebody please tell me the DOS
equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

cie590l@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>       I'm sure this is a trivial question, but a scientist here has a
> PS/2 hooked up to some sort of lab instrument.  The instrument control
> program creates, for each run, a directory called <bunch of numbers>.smp
> and puts 4 files in it.  Naturally, after several hundred runs, his disk is
> starting to get full and he wants to remove all of the old data.  Also,
> naturally, he asked me how to do it, but being basically a Unix type I
> couldn't figure out what to do.  Can somebody please tell me the DOS
> equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?
> --
This is trivial under Windows 3. Just select the directories and press DEL.
Otherwise, use a version of RM for DOS!
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
> Can somebody please tell me the DOS equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

It's "rm -r *.smp" ... after you've grabbed some version of "rm" for DOS at
any well-stocked archive site.

For example, at Simtel20 (26.2.0.74), you'll find:

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL PUBLIC DOMAIN LISTING

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DIRUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
DDEL124.ARC   B   14047  890720  DIRDEL v1.24 - deletes non-empty directories
MDS_RM.ARC    B   19120  881109  Unix-like 'rm' clone with C source
PDEL33C.ARC   B   54688  890813  File delete utility, extra features over DOS
PURGTRE1.ARC  B   12477  881011  Recursive delete of files in subdirectories
RM11_YG.ARC   B    5760  890716  Like Unix 'rm', delete files, recursive, safe
RMX.ARC       B    8670  880109  Unix-like 'rm' file delete program
RM_HS.ARC     B   15637  890313  File/directory deletion program with source
ZAPDIR.ARC    B    4212  880310  Delete an entire sub-dir structure
ZDEL3001.ARC  B    7161  871231  Selective delete utility

So long,

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva CH

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
:
>couldn't figure out what to do.  Can somebody please tell me the DOS
>equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?
:

Have you taken a look at /pc/ts/tsfaq16.arc?

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

timm@runx.oz.au (Tim Menzies) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I'm sure this is a trivial question, but a scientist here has a
>PS/2 hooked up to some sort of lab instrument.  The instrument control
>program creates, for each run, a directory called <bunch of numbers>.smp
>and puts 4 files in it.  Naturally, after several hundred runs, his disk is
>starting to get full and he wants to remove all of the old data.  Also,
>naturally, he asked me how to do it, but being basically a Unix type I
>couldn't figure out what to do.  Can somebody please tell me the DOS
>equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

No. This i not a trivial question. There ain't one. Look for tools that
support it. E.g. Xtree. Note: there is a rm  -r function in the MKS toolkit.
If you a re a unix hacker forced into the DOS world, get MKS. It has many  of
the  standard UNIX utilities  ported to DOS including sed, vi, sh, and... rm.

 _--_|\  Tim Menzies (timm@runxtsa.oz)        "REWARD OFFERED for information
/      \ HiSoft Expert Systems Group,	       leading to the return of one
\_.--._/ 2-6 Orion Rd, Lane Cove, NSW, 2066    island state called 'Tasmania'.
         61 2 9297729(voice),61 2 4280200(fax)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/29/91)

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>Can somebody please tell me the DOS
>equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

There are two off-the-shelf options: MKS Toolkit includes "rm"; XTREE
lets you set a FILESPEC so that you could set the spec to *.smp, tag
everything that matches and then delete everything you've tagged.

Bet there are MORE ways, too!
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (02/01/91)

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>Can somebody please tell me the DOS
>equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

Another option is Magellan!  With it you could do this in at least
three ways but the easiest would be to put it into "tree" mode and
select all the directories (Alt-D) and then either delete them or
unselect the directories you don't want deleted and then delete (F3).
Bang!  Done!

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
> ...Can somebody please tell me the DOS
> equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

I've got a little "rm" that does that.  It's "rm" vers. 1.1, 4/24/89, by
Yossi Gill.  Freeware, I believe.  I think I got it last year from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Since I'm not sure, I won't post it, but I will
try to mail it to you (zipped & uuencoded).  (It works great!)
	Rick Carle