[comp.os.msdos.misc] Recursively removing directories

dnicola@cs.vu.nl (Nicolaas Dion) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>       I'm sure this is a trivial question, but a scientist here has a
> PS/2 hooked up to some sort of lab instrument.  The instrument control
> program creates, for each run, a directory called <bunch of numbers>.smp
> and puts 4 files in it.  Naturally, after several hundred runs, his disk is
> starting to get full and he wants to remove all of the old data.  Also,
> naturally, he asked me how to do it, but being basically a Unix type I
> couldn't figure out what to do.  Can somebody please tell me the DOS
> equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?
> --

Working with DOS no such questions are trivial. Except for the
good advice I've read on getting decent utilities via FTP, I
can think of the following:
Generate a file using 'tree /f' containing the files to be
deleted, and edit it making it a batch file deleting the
stuff. Should be no problem with a good editor. However, this
is a one time solution.

--
  ---.    /)        |
 __/  \  /    _  _  |   _   _  _                 Dion Nicolaas

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (02/05/91)

dnicola@cs.vu.nl (Nicolaas Dion) writes:

> In article <1991Jan24.155305.12156@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
> > Can somebody please tell me the DOS equivelant of Unix's "rm -r *.smp"?

I missed the original post, so please forgive the cockeyed attribution.

There are several DOS implementations of rm. One is found in the
UXUTL162 package that recently went across c.b.i.p, and another is found
in the PicNix util package. Personally, I use one written by Frank
Whaley (thanx, Frank!).  All of these will do as you ask.
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
Department of redundancy department, or "Take the long way home...":