[comp.os.msdos.misc] Borland Educational Discount Info?

kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee) (02/07/91)

Does someone on the net know how Borland handles educational discounts?
(My brother wants to buy their C++ compiler and his computer store carries
 mostly hardware.)

   Ken  (kenyee@ksr.com  or  uunet!ksr!kenyee)

djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) (02/07/91)

In <2085@ksr.com> kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee) writes:

>Does someone on the net know how Borland handles educational discounts?
>(My brother wants to buy their C++ compiler and his computer store carries
> mostly hardware.)

Borland offers their educational discounts mainly through authorized
campus dealers.  However, I suppose they could sell to individual
students if you were to contact them.  Their phone number escapes me
at the moment, but check the back of one of their boxes...

--
Dj Padzensky
Internet: djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu | Neurotics build castles in the sky.

ahodgson@athena.mit.edu (Antony Hodgson) (02/07/91)

In article <27B0B211.26123@ics.uci.edu> djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) writes:
>In <2085@ksr.com> kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee) writes:
>
>>Does someone on the net know how Borland handles educational discounts?
>>(My brother wants to buy their C++ compiler and his computer store carries
>> mostly hardware.)
>
>Borland offers their educational discounts mainly through authorized
>campus dealers.  However, I suppose they could sell to individual
>students if you were to contact them.

They do, in fact, sell directly to individuals.  If it's your first time,
they'll ask you to write a short letter describing what you want to use
their product for and certifying that you're a student (school letterhead
signed by a prof is required, if I remember correctly).  After they get
that info, they'll mail you the product.  Once you've ordered from them
once under their educational plan, you can order upgrades or additional
products simply by calling up their customer service desk and telling
them you want to order again under their scholar's program.

Hope this helps.

Tony Hodgson
ahodgson@hstbme.mit.edu

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/07/91)

In article <2085@ksr.com>, kenyee@ksr (Ken Yee) writes:
>Does someone on the net know how Borland handles educational discounts?

I quote from the `contact' file in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc archives:

[$Id: contact 1.9 90/09/02 20:41:58 raymond Exp Locker: raymond $]

Borland International, Inc.
    borlandEd@cup.portal.com: Borland Educational Sales department

    Borland's Scholar Program (Educational Discount):
    408/438-5300 and press 2 for Customer Service