[comp.os.msdos.misc] Charging for laser printer use.

spowers@ducvax.auburn.edu (02/02/91)

A question:
Does anyone have any experience with charging for laser printer use in a
university computer lab setting?  In particular: how do _you_ do it, does you
use or know about VendaCard, is charging successful or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen P.

shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (Jeffery Shaub) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb1.105657.3329@ducvax.auburn.edu> spowers@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>A question:
>Does anyone have any experience with charging for laser printer use in a
>university computer lab setting?  In particular: how do _you_ do it, does you
>use or know about VendaCard, is charging successful or not?

We use the Vendacard system very succssfully in our public lab.

The VC unit attaches to innards of the laser printer and tricks it into thinking
it's out of toner.  Before sending a print job, you insert a card with a magnetic strip into the VC unit.  On the cards strip is credit recorded by a seperate
machine.  When you send your print job, the VC unit takes 2 units of credit
per page (Ithink this is custumizable) and allows the printer to do it's thing.

We use this setup with a PC and HP LaserJet, and with a MAC SE and APPLE Laser
Writer II.  The machine which puts credit on the cards, was already available
to us because our library uses Vendacard for photocopying.  We charge 7.5 cents
per unit and 2 units per page.  The system works really well, as long as you
have big red signs telling the students how it works.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jeff

  Jeff Shaub                   -     Computing Support Center
  shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu      -     University of Wisconsin-Parkside
                               -     Kenosha, WI  53141

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) (02/07/91)

> We use the Vendacard system very succssfully in our public lab.

> The VC unit attaches to innards of the laser printer and tricks it into thinking
> it's out of toner.  Before sending a print job, you insert a card with a magnetic strip into the VC unit.  On the cards strip is credit recorded by a seperate
> machine.  When you send your print job, the VC unit takes 2 units of credit
> per page (Ithink this is custumizable) and allows the printer to do it's thing.

Well, I suppose that this system can't be used with a networked
printer like DEC LPS-20. It would be nice to have a some kind of
"smart card" -system to look whose print job is in turn.. But LPS-20
_has_ a two-way connection, (if I am correct) so it would be quite
easy to do this??

--Kauto
--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*  Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta,Finland   *

news@uwm.edu (Net news owner) (02/07/91)

From: shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (Jeffery Shaub)

The problem with the vendacard system is that the only info on
the cards magnetic strip is how much credit the user has, so
there is no way for the print queue to know who's card is in
the Vendacard unit.

In article <9383@uwm.edu> shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (Jeffery Shaub) writes:
>>printer like DEC LPS-20. It would be nice to have a some kind of
>>"smart card" -system to look whose print job is in turn.. But LPS-20
>>_has_ a two-way connection, (if I am correct) so it would be quite
>>easy to do this??

>The problem with the vendacard system is that the only info on
>the cards magnetic strip is how much credit the user has, so
>there is no way for the print queue to know who's card is in
>the Vendacard unit.

Why do you care who's card is in the unit any more than you would
care whose cash you have?  All you need is a handy way to stop
between jobs from different users and display who should put their
card in next.  This would probably require some sort of control
terminal on another port, though, unless you can detect the card
change and want to print the name on paper.   Hmm, some printers
let you access their LCD displays with some contortions...

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

cie590l@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb1.105657.3329@ducvax.auburn.edu>, spowers@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

> A question:
> Does anyone have any experience with charging for laser printer use in a
> university computer lab setting?  In particular: how do _you_ do it, does you
> use or know about VendaCard, is charging successful or not?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I've been pondering this one for a while. It seems that any solution will cost a
reasonable amount of money. What does VendaCard cost? $1,000 - $2,000 ? To that
must be added the cost of a terminal or workstation if the print queue is to be
always visible. Perhaps it's easier and cheaper to just charge all users
$10/year (or something similar).
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |

shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (Jeffery Shaub) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb08.200227.29572@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>Why do you care who's card is in the unit any more than you would
>care whose cash you have?  All you need is a handy way to stop
>between jobs from different users and display who should put their
>card in next.

I guess what I failed to mention is, that we have a public access
novell network and the users login as GUEST(##).  There is no easy
way to determine which (##) the system assigns to your station since
all work is done from a menu.  When you print your work, the queue
shows a bunch of GUEST(##) jobs, and it's hard to tell which is which.

Jeff
  Jeff Shaub                   -     Computing Support Center
  shaub@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu      -     University of Wisconsin-Parkside
                               -     Kenosha, WI  53141

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (02/14/91)

In our mac lab we have a laser printer with a vendercard system. A local
company installed the card reader for $75 installation plus 1.5 cents per
page. We can set the price to whatever we want. They already have a card
vending machine on campus. They collect the money and send us the difference
based on the meter reading of the card reader.

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis