[comp.os.msdos.misc] EMM for 286

kirk@eecs.wsu.edu (Jim Kirk) (02/08/91)

The generic first time post message follows..

Gee.. Ahh.. This is my first post...

I have seen this but has it really been answerd? I am looking for
an EMM driver for a 286. I need to be able to put drivers above
the 640k. I know of Quarterdecks stuff put how about PD? Anybody
ever heard of such a thing?

capt..

   Those who say it can't be done will eat the dust of those doing it.
Jim "Capt." Kirk			INTERNET : kirk@eecs.wsu.edu
Elect. Eng. & Comp. Sci.		UUCP     : ...uunet!eecs.wsu.edu!kirk
Wash. State University			BITNET   : kirkj@wsuvm1
Pullman WA 99164-2752
   Oh...I have no response to that!
			--Meg Ryan in Joe vs. the Volcano
Those who say it can't be done will eat the dust of those doing it.
Jim "Capt." Kirk			INTERNET : kirk@eecs.wsu.edu

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/08/91)

Only a 386 can remap exTENded memory to exPANded using software only.  If you
have a 286, you need to have an exPANded memory board, then you can use programs
that will add to the available exPANded memory by remapping exTENded memory.

There is a program on simtel20, et al., called HRAM1.ZIP, which is supposed to
be a QRAM clone. This may help you.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | RN ate my
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| .newsrc!

hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb07.171432.21409@eecs.wsu.edu> kirk@eecs.wsu.edu (Jim Kirk) writes:

> I have seen this but has it really been answerd? I am looking for
> an EMM driver for a 286. I need to be able to put drivers above
> the 640k. I know of Quarterdecks stuff put how about PD? Anybody
> ever heard of such a thing?

Well, you are probably gonna be disappointed.  Yes there is software
abundant to do what you want, but NO, you probably do not have the
correct hardware to do it.  On 386 machines, hardware XMS support
is built in because of the chip architecture. The only way you can
get this on a 286 is by having the correct NEAT CHIPSET which supports
this, or by purchasing an INTEL ABOVEBOARD or similar hardware
implementation of XMS.

On commercial product to recomment is TURBO-EMS, and another is
QRAM (by QEMM folks).  They will both relocate your drivers and
TSR's up in high memory (IF YOU HAVE THE HARDWARE!!!)
--
-----
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (02/16/91)

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:

>Only a 386 can remap exTENded memory to exPANded using software only.

This is not true at all.  There are several programs that will technically
allow you to emulate expanded memory with extended memory on a 286.  They
are commonly (and pejorativley) called "limulators."  Due to the innate
inefficiencies of the 286 in switching in and out of protected mode and
the large size of the executables they are not of much real usefulness.

>If you have a 286, you need to have an exPANded memory board,

More precisely, SHOULD have if expanded memory is required...

>then you can use programs that will add to the available exPANded memory
>by remapping exTENded memory.

This makes no sense.  If you have true expanded memory at the hardware level why
would you want to emulate it?  If you are talking about QRAM, that is not what
it does at all.  It uses the enhanced page frame mapping abilities of LIM 4.0
EMS boards and older Rampage EEMS boards to include large areas of the upper
memory addresses that are unused.  The end result is analogous to what happens
when using a memory manager like QEMM on a 386 but you are using expanded memory
only.  The one caveat here, and Quarterdeck should emphasize this more, is that
if your EMS board is more than two years old it is most likely an EMS 3.2 level
board and will not handle any alternate page mapping even if it claims to be
"LIM 4.0 EMS" (at the software driver level).

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato