[comp.os.msdos.misc] cloning COMSPEC?

cousens@remus.rutgers.edu (Scott Cousens) (02/20/91)

I am trying to create a startup disk for use on a network with a
computer with no HD.  After starting up the network programs, I would
like to be able to take the startup disk away, and have the whole
thing run off the network drive.

I have set COMSPEC=L:\COMMAND.COM but this does not always work.
After exiting from programs such as WordPerfect or Lotus 123, the
computer trys to load COMMAND.COM from A:\ (root directory of my boot
drive) not from L:\COMMAND.COM as I had hoped.

BTW: Our server is IBM Model 80 running Novell Netware 386 Rev A. off
an an IBM Token Ring network.  The work station is an IBM Model 25
with DOS 3.3 and 2 floppy drives.  Drive L: is mapped to a network
directory containing COMMAND.COM

Is there any way around this, or will I have to keep my startup disk
in the machine.

tnx	-scott
--

Scott Cousens,  N3FXP     |  Internet: cousens@remus.rutgers.edu
I hate .signatures        |  Bitnet  : cousens@cancer.BITNET

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (02/26/91)

cousens@remus.rutgers.edu (Scott Cousens) writes:

>I am trying to create a startup disk for use on a network with a
>computer with no HD.  After starting up the network programs, I would
>like to be able to take the startup disk away, and have the whole
>thing run off the network drive.

>I have set COMSPEC=L:\COMMAND.COM but this does not always work.
>After exiting from programs such as WordPerfect or Lotus 123, the

First of all, you probably don't want the leading backslash in that
COMSPEC definition (since COMMAND.COM is probably in the directory
pointed to by L:, not the root directory of the volume)

Second, I have noticed that, under Netware, one gets better results if
one sets the COMSPEC to the full path (including the server and volume
name) of COMMAND.COM.  My AUTOEXEC.BAT contains code (available upon
request) to (portably) set COMSPEC= to something like
\\SERVER\VOLUME\DIRECTORY1\DIRECTORY2\...\COMMAND.COM.  It works well
with even the most obnoxious destroyers of the transient portion of COMMAND.COM.

Hope this helps...

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/26/91)

In article <valley.667524975@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:
|>cousens@remus.rutgers.edu (Scott Cousens) writes:
|>

|>>I am trying to create a startup disk for use on a network with a
|>>computer with no HD.  After starting up the network programs, I would
|>>like to be able to take the startup disk away, and have the whole
|>>thing run off the network drive.
|>
|>>I have set COMSPEC=L:\COMMAND.COM but this does not always work.
|>>After exiting from programs such as WordPerfect or Lotus 123, the

Hmm, about trying using SHELL= in your CONFIG.SYS?

SHELL=L:\COMMAND.COM

Brian

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/01/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Hmm, about trying using SHELL= in your CONFIG.SYS?

>SHELL=L:\COMMAND.COM

>Brian

No way, Jose!  The network doesn't exist at boot time (i.e., when
CONFIG.SYS is executed)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 03:07:44 GMT

In article <27155@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>SHELL=L:\COMMAND.COM

Add /e:<size of the environment> /p
The first is useful if you want your environment to have any reasonable
size, and since you're on the network, you probably will want that. The
second makes the command.com shell permanent.

Tony