[comp.os.msdos.misc] FDISK.EXE disaster

vancleef@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (02/07/91)

:(

I'm reconfiguring my hard disk, ok, i have everything i want
saved on floppies. So I ran HDWIPE. Fine. Next I wanted to
partition the disk so I could format it, so I run

FDISK

But, my machine tells me that a BAD SECTOR is in FDISK!!!!
(AN evil cosmic ray must had nabbed it or something)
I have NO WAY now of partitioning my harddisk. I am using
MSDOS 4.011. Can anyone out there uuencode a copy of
FDISK.EXE which works and email it to me? I dont know what else
I can possibly do.

-Garrett

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (03/01/91)

vancleef@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:

> I'm reconfiguring my hard disk, ok, i have everything i want
> saved on floppies. So I ran HDWIPE. Fine. Next I wanted to
> partition the disk so I could format it, so I run
>
> FDISK
>
> But, my machine tells me that a BAD SECTOR is in FDISK!!!!
> (AN evil cosmic ray must had nabbed it or something)
> I have NO WAY now of partitioning my harddisk. I am using
> MSDOS 4.011. Can anyone out there uuencode a copy of
> FDISK.EXE which works and email it to me? I dont know what else
> I can possibly do.
>

> -Garrett

The answer to that one is easy.  Just buy a legitimate copy of MSDOS
and you'll get FDISK with it :-)

Once you have a copy of the DOS system disk, erase your FDISK.EXE and
then copy FDISK.EXE from your system disk <floppy> to C:\DOS or wherever
you keep your DOS files.  Hopefully the new FDISK.EXE won't get copied
over the same bad sectors.

The other lesson is: BACKUP before you wipe anything out or do anything
that will destroy your valuable data.

-Jack-

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (03/06/91)

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) writes:

> The answer to that one is easy.  Just buy a legitimate copy of MSDOS
> and you'll get FDISK with it :-)

Smiley or no, that's a pretty mean comment, Jack. Perhaps the gentleman
_has_ a legitimate copy of DOS, but hasn't learned the lesson of
frequent backups yet.  Heck, I found my main DOS floppy incapable of
booting last week... fortunately, I had a backup.

> Once you have a copy of the DOS system disk, erase your FDISK.EXE and
> then copy FDISK.EXE from your system disk <floppy> to C:\DOS or wherever
> you keep your DOS files.  Hopefully the new FDISK.EXE won't get copied
> over the same bad sectors.

Had you read carefully, you'd discover that the problem is obviously
with his floppy copy of DOS. He said nothing about bad sectors on the
HD.

> The other lesson is: BACKUP before you wipe anything out or do anything
> that will destroy your valuable data.

But of course, I must agree with this suggestion.  Frequent and complete
backups are a must. They're often the only means of disaster recovery.
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'