[comp.os.msdos.misc] compression programs

minh-do@CS.YALE.EDU (Do Minh) (03/02/91)

Is there a program that will uncompress all the different formats.  I have
received a bunch of programs in the arc, zoo, and pak formats.  All I need
is an extracting utility
Thanks in advance

Please respond directly to me if possible.

.

derek@foster.actrix.gen.nz (Derek Foster) (03/07/91)

minh-do@CS.YALE.EDU (Do Minh) writes:

> Is there a program that will uncompress all the different formats.  I have
> received a bunch of programs in the arc, zoo, and pak formats.  All I need
> is an extracting utility
> Thanks in advance
>
> Please respond directly to me if possible.

Shez, a shareware package by Jim Derr will do the job easily.. usually
called SHEZ59.zip or somesuch on a lot of bbs's.

From the docs:

> SHEZ is a shell program to make viewing and working with archive files
> user friendly.  In order for SHEZ to function you must have one or more
> of the following archive programs:
>
>      PKZIP, PKUNZIP by Phil Katz for ZIP files.
>      PKUNPAK, PKPAK by Phil Katz for ARC files.
>      LHARC by Haruyasu Yoshizaki for LZH files.
>      ZOO by Rahul Dhesi for ZOO files.
>      PAK by NoGate Consulting for PAK files.
>
>  In addition you will need Vern Buerg's LIST program.

Also allows scanning for viruses, if you use McAfee's Scan..

--
derek@foster.actrix.gen.nz  : ``After listening carefully to the material
BlueS InC. PO BoX 12-420    :   you submitted, I'm afraid it's not what

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (03/07/91)

derek@foster.actrix.gen.nz (Derek Foster) writes:

>minh-do@CS.YALE.EDU (Do Minh) writes:

>> Is there a program that will uncompress all the different formats.  I have
>> received a bunch of programs in the arc, zoo, and pak formats.  All I need
>> is an extracting utility
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Please respond directly to me if possible.

>Shez, a shareware package by Jim Derr will do the job easily.. usually
>called SHEZ59.zip or somesuch on a lot of bbs's.

>From the docs: [.. deleted - not relevant]

Oops - deleted a line I didn't intend to.
Shez is a SHELL program. It has a built-in archive LISTER, but to do the
actual extraction, it requires the PKXARC, PKZIP, ZOO etc. programs to
do the work. This is not what Derek Foster is after.

What he wants is what I have in the action at the moment, but is causing
some problems. I want to have a pick-list of files, inbuilt archive lister,
*and inbuilt extraction* from that list. I have the (mostly C) sources for
unzip, unzoo, unarc, unlzh - I need unpak. My main problem is that I have
to try and integrate these with my file-list and windowing libraries, which
are Turbo Pascal.

I have a C to Pascal translator, but haven't really sussed out how it works.
It's an evaluation copy, so I want to evaluate it before spending $$$.

When this wonderful product is completed (couple of months perhaps), I'll
upload to Simtel.

Any comments gratefully received. (Non-constructive flames > NUL)

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (03/08/91)

Re: my last post:
>do the work. This is not what Derek Foster is after.
should have read: