[comp.os.msdos.misc] HELP NEEDED PURCHASING VGA!

pre2306@cuphub.cup.edu (03/07/91)

	I'm considering purchasing an SVGA card and screen. But, I have
some questions I need to have answered.

	What is the difference between "multisync" and "multiscan"?

	Do "non-interlaced" screens really look better than "interlaced"?

				Any help would be great!

				JEP

lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) (03/10/91)

In article <15336@cuphub.cup.edu> pre2306@cuphub.cup.edu writes:

>	I'm considering purchasing an SVGA card and screen. But, I have
>some questions I need to have answered.
>
>	Do "non-interlaced" screens really look better than "interlaced"?

	Yes!  Interlaced produce flicker!  Just stay away from anything
with the letters IBM on it!

Bryon Lape

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar10.041832.25758@cs.utk.edu> lape@cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes:
>In article <15336@cuphub.cup.edu> pre2306@cuphub.cup.edu writes:
>>
>>	I'm considering purchasing an SVGA card and screen. But, I have
>>some questions I need to have answered.
>>
>>	Do "non-interlaced" screens really look better than "interlaced"?
>
>	Yes!  Interlaced produce flicker!

I think that that the latter statement is a little too terse. I just
got an Orchid Pro II card which I run in 768x1024 interlaced. A friend
has a monitor that he run with the same card NON-interlaced.

My interlaced setup produces a small fluttering effect when there are fine
details with an odd number of scan lines between features. However,
broad details - like white backgrounds in Windows- do NOT flicker.

To see this best run Windows 3.0 and set your wallpaper to "weave"!!!!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On his noninterlaced setup there is no small-element flutter but large
bright areas flicker very badly. Apparently this card in non-interlaced
768x1024 mode simply has too low a vertical scan rate.

I would say that overall the non-interlaced is best, but you need to set
Windows so that the majority of the area is dark.

This is really only a problem if you use a program that does 768x1024
graphics and uses a bright background: Microsoft Windows does this.

[Advertisement: If you use Windows get one of the nice astromomical images I
posted on c.scs.uiuc.edu --  Orion and Horse are very nice. Neither flickers
at all.]

Incidentally, have you noticed how well Windows 3.0 manages to get
one full 256 color image represented using some other image's 256
color colormap?? The is truly impressive!! The color astrophotos as
well as other pictures even come out looking very good if the palette
is turned to 64-level grayscale. I am impressed.

> Just stay away from anything
>with the letters IBM on it!

I agree with that.

Doug McDonald

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.161342.3@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>I think that that the latter statement is a little too terse. I just
>got an Orchid Pro II card which I run in 768x1024 interlaced. A friend
>has a monitor that he run with the same card NON-interlaced.
>
>My interlaced setup produces a small fluttering effect when there are fine
>details with an odd number of scan lines between features. However,
>broad details - like white backgrounds in Windows- do NOT flicker.
>
>On his noninterlaced setup there is no small-element flutter but large
>bright areas flicker very badly. Apparently this card in non-interlaced
>768x1024 mode simply has too low a vertical scan rate.

This must be your friend's monitor.  I have the Orchid Pro II running
1024x768x256 with a Sony 1304HG monitor, and I have absolutely NO flicker
at all.  It's rock solid.