[comp.os.msdos.misc] Deleting the undeletable

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (03/08/91)

I have experience with undeletable files.  I once had a subdirectory glitch,
where the dir became unusable and unreadable, as well as undeletable.  It
was bad enough knowing I had an error on my HD, but worse than that was the
fact that any utility which read the directory tree died due to the error on
the disk.  I finally used PCtools's VIEW/EDIT (D)isk function, which did not
look at the tree, only the raw data.  I found the offending subdir's name in
the FAT, and put a hex code E5 in place of the first letter of the name.
(Hex E5 is the greek lowercase sigma, an "o" with a line on the top : e)

	If the matter is simply one of a bad character in the name, either
use the "?" wildcard in place of the strange char, or get a good DOS manual.
Many DOS manuals have the whole extended char set in an appendix - Find the
character, get the ASCII code, then hold down ALT and type the ASCII code on
the numeric keypad of your keyboard.  When you release ALT the character
will appear.  This is also a good way to make a file difficult to access -
Use extended characters in the filename.  Most people won't know how to type
the name.
012[Whos[210

--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

>(Hex E5 is the greek lowercase sigma, an "o" with a line on the top : e)
>012[Whos[210

The codes above were my attempt to put special char's into a post.  My news
reader didn't print them - Can anyone  see them?
--

alan@ukpoit.co.uk (Alan Barclay) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar07.225104.27985@ddsw1.MCS.COM> whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>the disk.  I finally used PCtools's VIEW/EDIT (D)isk function, which did not
>look at the tree, only the raw data.  I found the offending subdir's name in
>the FAT, and put a hex code E5 in place of the first letter of the name.
>(Hex E5 is the greek lowercase sigma, an "o" with a line on the top : e)

But if this subdirectory has files in it then doing this will screw up
your disk. Not recomended kiddies.