[comp.os.msdos.misc] Microsoft vs. the Feds

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/13/91)

CNN is reporting that Microsoft is being investigated for anti-trust
violations.  This has caused the value of their stock to fall 1/2 on NYSE
today.  They aren't reporting anything else yet.

Anyone know what this is about?

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.185141.4559@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

>CNN is reporting that Microsoft is being investigated for anti-trust
>violations.  This has caused the value of their stock to fall 1/2 on NYSE
>today.  They aren't reporting anything else yet.
>
>Anyone know what this is about?

I would say that they've got a pretty good case vis a vis Microsoft using
their position as the operating system supplier to leverage their way in the
applications markets.  All from a "back seat lawyer" perspective here, of
course.

Microsoft has long made use of features in their operating systems that they
have told noone else, but have then used the features to get an advantage in
the applications market.  SideKick worked because Borland discovered one of
these undocumented features.  PC Magazine recently had a write-up on them,
and the list is amazingly large

In the dirty tricks department, Infoworld a week or two ago reported (in the
unofficial / rumors column) that Microsoft had been sending many programmers
down to Go Inc. to look at their new pen-based operating system and supposedly
enable them to begin writing applications for it, but in actuality they were
the people who were writing Microsoft's own competing version of a pen-based
system!

Last week, they reported what may have sparked the final push towards an
investigation.  Some Microsoft people have been boasting that now that Windows
is fully accepted and has a large applications base, Microsoft intends to
drive all the other major producers of major applications software (spread-
sheets, word processor, etc) out of the Windows market.

IBM has pretty much lost the FUD factor (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) in the
PC Market, but Microsoft seems to be carrying the torch.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/14/91)

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>In article <1991Mar12.185141.4559@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>>
>>CNN is reporting that Microsoft is being investigated for anti-trust
>>violations.  This has caused the value of their stock to fall 1/2 on NYSE
>>today.  They aren't reporting anything else yet.
>>
>>Anyone know what this is about?

>I would say that they've got a pretty good case vis a vis Microsoft using
>their position as the operating system supplier to leverage their way in the
>applications markets.  All from a "back seat lawyer" perspective here, of
>course.

Yup.  And the stock dropped another 3 1/2 yesterday...

Could drop quite a bit further, too.  Not that I'm recommending any
short selling.  No, not at all...

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/14/91)

In article <valley.668892064@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Mar12.185141.4559@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>>>
>>>CNN is reporting that Microsoft is being investigated for anti-trust
>>>violations.  This has caused the value of their stock to fall 1/2 on NYSE
>>>today.  They aren't reporting anything else yet.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what this is about?
>
>>I would say that they've got a pretty good case vis a vis Microsoft using
>>their position as the operating system supplier to leverage their way in the
>>applications markets.  All from a "back seat lawyer" perspective here, of
>>course.
>
>Yup.  And the stock dropped another 3 1/2 yesterday...
>
>Could drop quite a bit further, too.  Not that I'm recommending any
>short selling.  No, not at all...

To follow up on this, according to this week's InfoWorld, Microsoft worked
long and hard to get other companies to market some multimedia programs
for Windows so it could get accepted as a multimedia tool.  The companies
are now selling these products, which cost about a couple thousand dollars.
Now Microsoft has decided that it's going to sell software that does the same
stuff.  For $80.