[comp.os.msdos.misc] MOVE files, not copy.

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (03/04/91)

After a rather lengthy search through the MSDOS manual, I still am at a loss
on how to MOVE files instead of just copying them.

IS there a way to do this without the aid of software, or do I have to copy
each file, and then go back and delete it...?

./*-
storm@cs.mcgill.ca         McGill University           It's 11pm, do YOU
Marc Wandschneider         Montreal, CANADA            know what time it is?

tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.044236.4842@cs.mcgill.ca>, storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) writes:

> After a rather lengthy search through the MSDOS manual, I still am at a loss
> on how to MOVE files instead of just copying them.
>
> IS there a way to do this without the aid of software, or do I have to copy
> each file, and then go back and delete it...?

     I've always wondered if DOS had the move command. To the best of my
knowledge there is none. The closest I could come was to write a batch file
to do the job myself.

      move this.fil that.fil

      echo off
      if %1l == l goto err
      if %2l == l goto err
      copy %1 %2
      del %1
      goto end
      :err
      echo Insufficient parameters
      :end

I typed this from memory, but I think it'll work.

--
        -Ted L. Glenn             "Don't worry, be happy!" <--Ack! Pffffhhht!
         tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.044236.4842@cs.mcgill.ca> storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) writes:

>After a rather lengthy search through the MSDOS manual, I still am at a loss
>on how to MOVE files instead of just copying them.
>
>IS there a way to do this without the aid of software, or do I have to copy
>each file, and then go back and delete it...?

There are countless shells and tools around for doing this.  A very
handy small alternative is /pc/pd2/dc106f.zip Directory Control from
Michael Mefford from the PC-Magazine.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (03/04/91)

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) writes:
>After a rather lengthy search through the MSDOS manual, I still am at a loss
>on how to MOVE files instead of just copying them.

If you don't have access to the many utilities which will do this,
most languages (certainly TurboC & Turbo Pascal) have a rename()
function or some such...a program can be dashed off which will do the
move without copy/delete.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

ZECHES@FRECP12.BITNET (Nicolas Zeches) (03/05/91)

In article <1011@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn)