[comp.os.msdos.misc] Speed up cursor

shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Steve Hikida) (03/05/91)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as
"so no program will barf out")?  WIN3 seems to do, and actually leaves
the cursor "FAST" when it returns to DOS.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve Hikida
UofW Computer Science

buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar5.074742.6657@watdragon.waterloo.edu> shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca
  (Steve Hikida) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
>mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as
>"so no program will barf out")?  WIN3 seems to do, and actually leaves
>the cursor "FAST" when it returns to DOS.  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated!

1. Norton Utilities has a option that lets you adjust the 'key-repeat rate'
   (which is what I think you mean).  I assume other programs exist which
   do this as well...

2. I know Windows lets you set your favorite key-repeat rate via the
   Control Panel (and the WIN.INI file).  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear
   to be able to _preserve_ the original setting in effect when you started
   up Windows.  Does anyone know if it is possible to have Windows preserve
   and restore the original rate?

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.130948.21268@granite.cr.bull.com> buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) writes:
:
>1. Norton Utilities has a option that lets you adjust the 'key-repeat rate'
>   (which is what I think you mean).  I assume other programs exist which
>   do this as well...
:

Another of the several alternatives is keyrate.exe in
/pc/ts/tsutld18.arc.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.  If you are in North America first consider using an ftp
site near you to spare the overseas load.)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 22:12:05 GMT

In article <1991Mar5.074742.6657@watdragon.waterloo.edu> shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Steve Hikida) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
>mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as

Steve,

Try NCC from Norton Utilities. It's NOT memory resident, just sets your
cursor speed once when you boot up. It's easy to use, here is the line
from my autoexec.bat that takes care of it:

c:\bin\ncc c:\set.cfg /keyrate > nul

where set.cfg is the file that holds various configuration info.
Make sure you buy Norton 4.5 if you don't have it, and not 5.0.

Tony

helfman@aero.org (Robert S. Helfman) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar5.130948.21268@granite.cr.bull.com> buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) writes:
>In article <1991Mar5.074742.6657@watdragon.waterloo.edu> shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca
>  (Steve Hikida) writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
>>mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as
>>"so no program will barf out")?

A routine supplied with Volkswriter 3, called ATKBD, allows one to set
the keyboard rate. I'm sure there's public domains stuff to do this too.

johnm@bowen.cc.utas.edu.au (John B. Miezitis) (03/11/91)

>In article <1991Mar5.074742.6657@watdragon.waterloo.edu> shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca
>  (Steve Hikida) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
>mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as
>"so no program will barf out")?  WIN3 seems to do, and actually leaves
>the cursor "FAST" when it returns to DOS.  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated!

The following is an extract from Ralph Brown's Interrupt list:-

INT 16 - KEYBOARD - SET DELAYS (Jr,AT model 339,XT286,PS)
        AH = 03h
        AL = subfunction
            00h reset typematic (PCjr)
            01h increase initial delay (PCjr)
            02h increase continuing delay (PCjr)
            03h increase both delays (PCjr)
            04h turn off typematic (PCjr)
            05h Set typematic rate (AT or PS/2)
        BH = 00h - 03h for delays of 250ms, 500ms, 750ms, or 1s
        BL = 00h - 1Fh for typematic rates of 30cps down to 2cps

If you are using Turbo C then a call to
int86( interrupt_number, reg_struct, reg_struct) would do the trick. If
anyone wants more information I can mail you the source code I used to set
my keyboard typematic rates.

Cheers..
John. B. Miezitis. University of Tasmania Computing Centre
email: johnm@diemen.cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!!

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/14/91)

> >In article <1991Mar5.074742.6657@watdragon.waterloo.edu> shikida@lion.uwaterloo.ca
> >  (Steve Hikida) writes:
> >>I was wondering if anyone knows how (preferably source however I wouldn't
> >>mind an .exe/.com too) to speed up the cursor SAFELY (i.e. read that as
> >>"so no program will barf out")?
>
> A routine supplied with Volkswriter 3, called ATKBD, allows one to set
> the keyboard rate. I'm sure there's public domains stuff to do this too.

You can change the keyboard rate with the DOS mode command.  I don't remember
the exact syntax, but it should be in the DOS documentation.--
       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/14/91)

In article <4929@czech.sw.mcc.com> daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:
>You can change the keyboard rate with the DOS mode command.  I don't remember
>the exact syntax, but it should be in the DOS documentation.--

No, it is not in the DOS documentation.  (Not at least below the
quirky MsDos 4.0).

You can change the typematic rate for an AT or 386 (the keyboard
rate) e.g. by keyrate.exe which is in /pc/ts/tsutld18.arc.  The
feature is not available for XTs.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.  If you are in North America first consider using an ftp
site near you to spare the overseas load.)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (03/14/91)

With the number of replies, I wonder if the original poster will come out
with his list of solutions.

Carl