[comp.os.msdos.misc] Financial portfolio software

malik@cs.psu.edu (Sohail Malik) (03/16/91)

Does anyone have recommendations for software to manage financial
portfolios that:

	- connects to the Dow Jones service to download quotes
	- handles stocks, treasuries, and options (at least)
	- has the ability to create customized reports
	- is supported by a reputable company
	- runs on a 386 with 2 megabytes of RAM running DOS with a 2400 baud modem
	- allows you to choose the serial port being used

and preferrably:

	- uses color to highlight information

Any help would be much appreciated,

-Sohail Malik
malik@cs.psu.edu

maher@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Patrick Maher) (03/22/91)

malik@cs.psu.edu (Sohail Malik) writes:

>Does anyone have recommendations for software to manage financial
>portfolios that:

>	- connects to the Dow Jones service to download quotes
>	- handles stocks, treasuries, and options (at least)
>	- has the ability to create customized reports
>	- is supported by a reputable company
>	- runs on a 386 with 2 megabytes of RAM running DOS with a 2400 baud modem
>	- allows you to choose the serial port being used

>and preferrably:

>	- uses color to highlight information

The program PFROI does everything you want, except perhaps "customized
reports." There is a shareware version which does virtually everything;
but to be able to download you need to register ($30) and get the
enhanced version. I recently got it, and am very happy with it. The
program is from Techserve, inc., POB 70056, Bellevue, WA 98007,
Telephone:  206 747 5598 / 800 826 8082.

Here's a list of features (from a file put out by Techserve):

* easy data input format (unlike clumsy formats found on many
  commercial packages)

* computation of true return on investment (IRR method) on
  portfolio and securities within before and after taxes.
  (again a key feature omitted on many commercial packages)

* numerous reports including capital gains, dividend & interest
  reports useful for tax preparation and a detailed open lot
  report useful for tax planning.

* several tax lot assignment methods including FIFO, average
  cost and specific assignment.  Tax rates are user-configurable
  (flexible for tax law changes) and estimated taxes computed (again
  useful for tax planning).

* valuation graphics (CGA, EGA, VGA & Hercules supported).

* support of just about every security type (stocks, bonds, mutual
  funds, cd's, depreciable assets, options, etc.) with many transaction
  types including reinvestment of dividends, interest and capital
  gains.

* output to printer, text file or screen.